[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do i make the money

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

File: 1463728602808.jpg (124KB, 600x801px)
1463728602808.jpg
124KB, 600x801px
Alright /adv/ I'm an engineering student taking hard as fuck classes. But my classes aren't what's important. $$$$$ is.

I'm about to be kicked out of the house for god knows what reason. But good news is that one of my friends is offering to share an apartment with me; we've estimated that the minimum rent is $800 if we don't want a location in the fucking projects, so that means I need to make at least $500 a month in order to have a livable budget.

I work at McDonald's and I make $8/hr. Not only does the job itself make me want to chug bleach but it's also grossly insufficient if I want to meet the budget while still leaving time for classes.

TL;DR Basically how does a full time college student make a reasonable amount of money without busting ass in minimum wage drone labor?
>>
What skills do you have?
>>
>>17386894
I've got math skills up to Differential Equations, an AP highschool education, a little IT experience, and I can draw pretty good.
>>
>>17386915
Where will you be living?
Do you know how to program?
Do you have any CAD/SolidWorks experience?
How many years of customer experience skills do you have?
>>
>>17386962
I haven't decided the exact location

Programming isn't my thing

>customer experience skills
I'm not an autist or anything if that's what you're asking
>>
sell party drugs
assuming you don't have an affinity for taking them yourself, it turns mad profit
pushing product through snapchat is pretty safe
>>
If you have a job, you must have some form of savings, right?
>>
>>17386962
I should also add that I will be taking a EGR drafting course next semester so CAD experience isn't completely off the table
>>
>>17387006
I do have savings, but they aren't from my job, if that's at all relevant. Savings are going towards paying for college at the moment, however
>>
>>17386872
>help meee

Get a campus job.

They likely pay better than McDonald's and will schedule work around your classes. It's worth a shot asking Financial Aid to about Work-Study. Some even have "research positions," and all you have to do is research topics and write papers.
>>
>>17387016
This.

Anything else is a waste of your time if you're serious about college.

At my university, I can log in and it has a profile already created with courses I've completed and matches me with jobs. Click "apply" and just wait for an email setting up an interview.
>>
>>17387026
>>17387016
I just looked it up and my particular college only rewards a maximum $3000 a year for work study.

That's absolute garbage
>>
Can you take a smaller workload so you can work more?
>>
>>17387081
I would like to but unfortunately I'm a bit behind on my classes and I really don't want to add yet another year to my community college sentence, I'm trying to get into a university after comm college.
>>
Is that maximum overall, or during semesters in which you are enrolled?

My school has 20hr per week and $5 max during active enrollment, but allows 40hr+ and no limit during summer.

Ask Financial Aid. Also, run the numbers;

Max Pay: 3000
Max Hours (wk): 20
Max Weeks (2 semesters): ~8
Average Weeks per Month: 4.3

MP/(MW(AW))/MH= < Fed. Min. Wage

Doesn't add up unless their max amount of weekly hours are less than 20 or they pay exceptionally well.

In either case, that's a good thing. All you would need is a summer job to supplement. It's all about budgeting.
>>
>>17387088
>Most students can earn their award amount by working 10 – 15 hours per week, if they begin working in August. The maximum allotted hours are 20 hours per week. The standard award amount will not exceed $3000 per year. If there is an additional need, and we have additional funds, you may request an increase in your work-study award. If you receive a new scholarship or grant, your work-study award may have to be reduced or canceled.
>>
>>17387095
Ahh, okay. So if you do want more, it cuts you off if you get other awards, thereby making it a last resort to begin with. That's kind of lame.

I get work study and around $30k/yr in scholarship awards. Have you been applying for scholarships, what is your gpa like?

But I digress, I have no clue what community colleges have access to in form of scholarship opportunities.
>>
>>17387086
Well at this stage, it looks like you'll have to. I can't really see any other options unless you just happen to have the luck to come across a good job. Keeping a roof over your head should be a bigger priority than finishing on the date you've got set in your head
>>
>>17387100
My GPA is hovering around 3.5.

I have not been applying because frankly I'm a lazy bastard and I don't know much about scholarships in the first place. Financial aid has been paying for college extremely well so far so I considered that I didn't even need them since I was under the impression that scholarships can only be used on education.
>>
>>17387100
Also, can you get Fafsa? Opportunity grants?

I only ask because if your focus is school and you need ~600/mo to get by, you should definitely make school your focus.

I would club 17,000 baby seals to be able to live within $600/mo budget. Fuck, my condo is $950 by itself.
>>
>>17387106
Nah. Take it serious, anon. Start applying for them. I dedicate Christmas break applying for scholarships and it takes two days of effort to snag around $30k in funding.

They pay my condo, all bills, clothes, dining out, and whatever else I want. I used last years take to pay off my car.

Don't do the "ramien college plan," it's pointless. With a 3.5 you will get into the same level of funding as me with a 3.9.
>>
>>17387111
Really? You can use scholarship money on whatever?

I wish I knew that a long time ago, jesus
>>
Well OP I have no idea how your doing it. My last semester was ridiculously hard. It was pretty much calc 3, and everything chemistry (I'm a CHE Eng); I had no time for anything. Every twice a week I had to get to get up at 7am then get back at 7pm; I still had to cook and prep for tomo.

Idk OP, you must be really smart or in your first year of ENG. My GPA is 3.3

I wouldnt advise a job
>>
>>17387125
I've just finished Calc 2 with an A.

Granted, I failed it the first time (partly because the prof was kind of shitty), but Calc 2 was the only speedbump I've encountered so far.

>>17387111
I'd really like to know where you go to search for 30k/yr scholarships, is it a university specific thing?
>>
>>17387145
Maybe its just my major, with CHE Eng I have a lot to memorize reactions and structures (im faaaar from lewis dot structures lol).

Calc 2 was fn. Especially when you could finally connect all the eqs like SA of certain shapes by integration. Then there was the application side(work, pressure, and energy) which was a pain for me

but like I said though, I just wouldnt contemplate a job. It just gets rougher the higher classes you take
>>
>>17387155
I've been told chem e is one of the hardest branches. I'm going for mechanical.

It relieves me that you've told me that a part time job in college is not a good idea, everybody else has told me it's mandatory. Then again, they weren't studying engineering
>>
OP here.

I've got to go to bed now because I've got work tomorrow flipping burgers like a cuck.

Good night, I'll read any replies you might have tomorrow.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.