[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I Hate my Great job

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (22KB, 255x255px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22KB, 255x255px
I don't know what to do.. I have a really good job, but I hate it.

Im 26, and work as a Groundsman for a big Energy company. The company is a solid employer, and treats us really well, pays great, and offers us outstanding benefits. But I just hate the actual job I do.. It's just not my thing. I'm not interested in it. I just don't know what to do, I'm very fortunate just to have this job. A friend refered me for this and got me a position when I needed a stable career. Which this company is a very stable place to work. So I'm trying to be grateful. But it's hard, because I don't want to do this same job for the next 30 years.. But I will never be able to get a job anywhere else that pays as good as this, and has benefits like mine.

I just need advice, because I just feel depressed. And I'm thinking about just shooting myself in a few years, because I don't want to have a job I dislike for 30 some years..
>>
File: 1301874412467.gif (201KB, 500x651px) Image search: [Google]
1301874412467.gif
201KB, 500x651px
shameful self-bump
>>
Work sucks no matter what you do. Just do what you enjoy doing in your free time and enjoy the high salary. Happiness won't be found at work, only money and you have that now.
>>
>>17385652

its just that, we spend the majority of our lives at work. I mean, I have nothing else. So work has always been my primary focus. its depressing for me spending majority of the time doing something im not passionate about. But i know there is no way i could get a job elsewhere that matches the quality of this company.
>>
>>17385652
This. If you like the people you work for AND the salary is good, stick it out, you're ahead of the game.
>>
What DO you want to do?
>>
>>17385673

I'm not really sure.. one thing that I am really interested in is Geospatial-Intelligence. But, I do not have the academic smarts to pass college and get a degree.
>>
>>17385671
Nearly all developed countries traditionally split the work day into thirds, equal time for sleep, work and recreation.

Anyway, if your not excited by any new opportunities work is throwing your way and you're aren't excited by all the things you can do with your money, maybe your job is not that good.

You wont always be in a good mood in life, but when you are you should at least have a fuck ton of good things to do.
>>
>>17385711
Lol, 50s new deal think.

Most full time jobs these days expect 2/3rdrs of your time.
>>
>>17385711

i just have nothing outside of work worth living for
>>
>>17385722
If you're experiencing that, you're in a shitty job.
>>
>>17385748
I used to be like you. I'm a little older though, and I actually used to do the same thing you're doing but for a big cable company. If it's anything like what I did. That's tough work bro.

My current job is awesome. People would kill for my job but sometimes I just hated it. Sometimes I still do when I get in a funk before I realize how good I've got it. It helped me that I started working out a lot last year. It's all I think about now. Like how I'm gonna go workout as soon as I get off.

It sounds like you already know you just need to find a hobby. It helped me tremendously. I just go to work, get it done, then do the things I truly want to do. You just gotta find something you're passionate about.

Just stick it out with work and find something you enjoy. Having trouble figuring it out? Start thinking of things you want to do and do them. Stop making excuses and just get out there.
>>
>>17385785

there honestly isn't really much im passionate about. I just like to sit on Google Earth and explore around the world. and read about conflict zones
>>
>>17385652
This.

Sounds like a good deal. Find stuff to do outside of work that fulfills you. That makes the day job much easier.
>>
It's a job, bro, it's supposed to suck.
Do that shit for 30 years and reap the benefits.
>>
>>17386393
>>17386388

thats just hard to do :/
>>
OP, you should try to aquire a job where you can use one of your natural tallents.

Usage of natural talents seems to contribute to reaching flow. And flow is what makes work stimulating.

A book on the subject:
https://www.amazon.com/StrengthsFinder-2-0-Tom-Rath/dp/159562015X?ie=UTF8&page=24&reader=1
>>
>>17385722
>expect 2/3rdrs of your time.
Where the fuck do you work m8? 12 hours a day is usually way above average,let alone 16 hours a day
>>
>>17387411
I think he's referring to corporate jobs that demand you work 8 hour days plus the occasional 10 hour day, or the occasional we need you to come in on saturday type bullshit

in addition too, oh yea and you'd better be checking your email even when you're "off the clock"

salary jobs lure you with the pay, and fuck you after you sign
>>
>>17387428
Even those dont come close to the 16 hours that he was claiming. Only Wall street jobs or very demanding ones ask for so many hours.
>>
>>17387436
no I agree it would be inhumane to literally demand 16 hours out of employees, but I think hes suggesting it feels like you spend all of your waking hours either at your job, worrying about a deadline, or checking emails

at least that's the reason I don't want a salary job. 100k a year sounds great on paper, but they will fuckin milk you for that 100 grand
>>
>>17387450
Lol check out some construction jobs. My friend worked as one cause it pays well and one week he put on over 100 hours. Obviously that's not the norm, but it's still a demanding job. Hell I'm doing close to 50 hours and I feel tired as fuck.
>>
>>17386451
What specifically would you rather do with employment?
>>
>>17385457
>thinking about just shooting myself in a few years
Unemployed and wishing I could actually get paid to feel this way... with outstanding benefits...
>>
>>17385711
>Nearly all developed countries traditionally split the work day into thirds, equal time for sleep, work and recreation.
>time to get ready for and commute to work
>"recreation"

Nice how they jew you out of that.
>>
File: Tendler-flow-chart.jpg (19KB, 569x403px) Image search: [Google]
Tendler-flow-chart.jpg
19KB, 569x403px
The work is probably either too boring or too challenging. The hard part is getting into the flow (see chart).
My work is way too challenging atm and I feel anxious all day even in my weekends but I it IS wat I want.. sort of.. I have no alternatives just like you
>>
File: Craig-Flow-diagram.png (839KB, 974x950px) Image search: [Google]
Craig-Flow-diagram.png
839KB, 974x950px
this pic also related
>>
Focus on making your own company?

I have a job where I could be making $300k by 35 but I don't feel any joy or sense of achievement in it either. I feel I should be aiming for $3mil instead.
>>
>>17387490

I wish I had a government job with a lot of travel.

>>17387630

I don't have the knowledge or smarts to do something like that
>>
>>17387674
Do you think people are born with this knowledge?
>>
>>17385457
why do you think you wouldn't be able to get a new better job? put your current position in your resume and apply for jobs that suit you more. say that "you liked your job but found out you're especially intrigued by this and that so you want to head more into this direction with your career". do this a couple of times until you're at a place you like
>>
>>17387691

no, but I don't have the mindset for this

>>17387698

Well, because my experience from this job doesn't really translate into much else. We work on power lines.
>>
>>17387722
You have to change your mindset to keep going forward, the alternative is stagnation
>>
>>17385652

Pretty much this. I just got fired this two weeks ago, I WISH I still had my job.

I'll probably never find a job again that isn't flipping burgers.
>>
>>17387883
At least flipping burgers is a job with DECENT salary, better than NO salary.

I've been applying everywhere and only had 10 interviews this month, and 34 overall. Neither of them led me to a job.
>>
>>17387747

I'm not smart enough
>>
>>17385652
I agree with this anon.

I guess it all depends on the circumstance and how you feel, but on my current situation, I would rather have a job like yours and if I wanted to do something interesting I would do it on my free time.
>>
>>17385457
I hear you anon, you have to decide if sacrificing your happiness for security is worth it. It's not an easy choice, but statistically, people happy with their jobs make more money at them than a person that hates that same job.

I'm in a somewhat similar situation, anon. It sucks.
>>
Got a good job too and make more than others my age but yea my job sucks ass. Long drive, long shifts, and bad hours. But i put up with it because of the paycheck, benefits and all the days off. On those days off is when i have my fun.

Its called work for a reason and people need to be realistic about what having a job is.
>>
File: image.jpg (17KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17KB, 228x221px
>>17389701

Yeah.. I hear you..

It's just really unmotivating for me. I was one of those kids born in the early 90s who were told "get your dream job". My whole life all I've done is put 100% into my jobs. Even if I don't like them, it's my #1 of all priorities.

I don't know how to have a life out of work..
>>
>>17391118
>I don't know how to have a life out of work..
Then you've been successfully programmed.
>>
>>17391160

... :(
>>
>>17391163
There's a difference between not knowing how to have a life outside if your job and knowing how to but having the will to put the time and effort in to do so.
>>
Anon, I'm going to be the one person that stands up and says "fuck that."

I had many jobs that I absolutely hated. Everyone said the same fucking thing to me - "deal with it, everyone hates work, do things outside of work." The thing was, my hatred for the job was affecting me outside of work. I tried switching to just another job, seeing if maybe it was the environment... nah, it wasn't.

I fought really really hard - took a job making much less money than I should be, to join an industry I found much more interesting, to get the experience. Right around your age, too. The risks freaked out my parents, put me in some debt, and I had to live in a shitty situation for a year or two, but now I run corporate digital media for a Fortune 500 company, and have a bunch of money and greater satisfaction. I'm working from home right now and shitposting on 4chan, for goddsakes.

Take the plunge to make yourself happy. Don't waste 30 years of your life wishing you'd believed in yourself more.
>>
Non-union?

Anyways, electrical apprentice here. Just finished my first year and honestly I'm going to say i love the work, but hate the people and attitude.
Like my teacher said "it downstairs get any better than this"
What he meant was, it's going to be the same shit day in and day out for the next 40 years. He told us if we don't feel this is for us, to leave now and pursue our dreams, otherwise we only wasted 5 years of our lives going to school.

But like i said, i love the work. I love working with my hands and driving by years later and say "yup i did that". The people are all older well up into their 40+ years. So they are grouchy, close minded, arrognant, and egotistical. Their attitude really brings down the mood.

Anyways, in your case i give you the same advice i gave myself earlier this year

"Do it for the paycheck, get money to work for you (investments), and enjoy your free time doing what you wanna do. Eat your dessert before the meal because life is too short to follow the rules."
>>
>>17392185
And the rules don't work for the peons anyway.
>>
>>17392185
Its a union. It's a great company. But I don't enjoy the work. I have no interest in this
>>
>>17387596
all good, but apathy? :D lmao
>>
>>17387891
You are smart enough to use a computer and write a coherent sentence, you've got it over on more than half the working population already. Jobs don't just come to you, you have to be driven to go out and get them. You've proven you have ambition to at least get this job, and your current employer at least sees your worth in some respect to treat you so well. Maybe try it for another year or so then look for something else to move on to? Or build up some vacation and take some time to reflect on your situation and move on from there.

But, again, the whole being a rocket scientist thing is nice but what really gets you ahead in this world is waking up early and getting shit done. I've worked for people who were dumber than a bag of rocks, but they got up at 5 am and got shit done so they were the manager / boss / owner etc.
>>
>>17393087
>Maybe try it for another year or so then look for something else to move on to?

I just don't have anywhere else to go. I'm just not into this line of work. it's not a "bad" job. But I just have no interest in the Skilled Trade type work.

>build vacation and reflect

I've already been on 3 personal trips this year (1 big, 2 small) and a another big one this September. I try to think about things, but everything seems like a dead end. I can't bash the place I work now, because there is career advancement and obviously it's a good company. It's just hard because I'm not interested at all in my work.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.