[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you handle being smarter than your peers? Maybe I have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: 1414219947358.gif (2MB, 350x266px) Image search: [Google]
1414219947358.gif
2MB, 350x266px
How do you handle being smarter than your peers?

Maybe I have autism and don't know how to interact with them but I'm the one people come to when they need help with any type of help with our studies (neuroscience) and any type of deeper understanding of the material & I'm told by almost everyone I've met that I'm the smartest person they know.

I don't want to be that, I just want to be normal and fit in but I'm too much of a faggot to stop reading and learning shit so I can hang out with other people because building my knowledge is the most important thing to me at this point in my life for reasons including eventual social status and career opportunities that may be opened because of me not being a fucking idiot. Even when I get the chance to I'm too much of a fucking dweeb to fit in and end up getting excluded from everything so I bury my head back in a book.

Am I just trying to make friends with the wrong people? Why am I so socially retarded? Do I have any hope at all or am I going to be an Isaac Newton-esque dweeb virgin minus the groundbreaking theories?

Any advice for others with this problem would be great too.
>>
File: image.gif (494KB, 387x305px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
494KB, 387x305px
>>17383741
Tfw i am all the way up(^:
>>
File: image.jpg (47KB, 208x250px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47KB, 208x250px
>>17383766
I got dubs
>>
>>17383768
nigger
>>
>>17383741
>How do you handle being smarter than your peers?
Stop being so conceited, you narcissistic piece of shit.

>Maybe I have autism and don't know how to interact with them

You gave yourself all the answers.
>>
We got a special snowflake :^)
>>
> I just want to be normal and fit in

conformist
>>
>>17383877

This.

No matter how "smart" you are, your narcissism will devalue your character and nobody will want to remember you. You should have worked on your emotional intelligence before book smarts.

You probably think we're as stupid as your peers - no wait, we're as "normal" or "more normal" than them aren't we?

Take your thread as you will OP.

Good luck.
>>
>>17383741
What the fuck is it with very smart people and having a fucking inferiority complex? Is being naturally gifted just not fucking good enough for you? Gosh it must be so fucking hard being that smart. Seriously fuck off dude.
>>
>>17383741

I'm dating a neuroscientist who's always been the smartest person of his classes and definitely smarter than any of my friends. Even though he's smarter than me, it's never gotten in the way of our friendship. I wholeheartedly admire his intelligence and enjoy the challenge of proving him wrong (which I've gotten better at with time.) He gets along great with anyone he meets because he never calls people out for being wrong or stupid.
It helped him to get into other hobbies to build his friend group, like videogames or music. That way, his knowledge is more at par with theirs and they understand eachother better. When you meet a musician who is way more talented than you, then you don't ever feel like you're 2smart4u.
I must add that our chemistry has helped a lot as I am the kind of person who doesn't take things too seriously. So if he ever acts like a know-it-all, it doesn't offend me at all since I'll just roll my eyes and change the subject to continue hanging out.
>>
If you're not an asshole, there's nothing to 'handle'
>>
>>17383741
Recognize that everyone has talents and lean on others as much as they lean on you. Admit to the next guy who you help with school that you envy his party-going, and ask him to take you along to a few parties. Or small talk, or how to dance, or how to drive, or chatting up girls, or sports or whatever.
>>
As someone who learned the hard way that having even slightly above average intelligence was a curse in social terms, the best thing to do is to remember that all individuals have their own brand of intelligence.

For example, I have a knack for facts, problem solving, and other fairly useless shit that apparently makes me "smart". But I have fairly poor interpersonal skills, spatial awareness, and memory, which makes me feel like my peers are just that - my peers. Not inferior, just people with different skillsets.

I can look into almost any group and say "I have more raw intelligence than this person and that person" - but that isn't healthy for me. It does me no good to judge others, so I simply don't.
>>
>>17384448
>the best thing to do is to remember that all individuals have their own brand of intelligence.

This.
>>
>>17383741
Are you a "well-rounded" person? You are known as the guy who is a walking textbook, a vending machine that is expert in neuroscience, but probably faceless for anything else. Do you have other interests like a sport or music or pets or art or hobby that you're really into? Are all your t-shirts blank? What enthusiasms do you display? Maybe you're hiding all other social cues that "normals" need to interact with?
>>
>>17383877

Typical dumb gorilla response
>>
>>17383988

It might have something to do with getting THIS EXACT reaction everywhere you go, just for speaking, as if you're throwing your intelligence in everyone's face just by existing
>>
>>17383741
>studies (neuroscience)

You're not going to be a medical practitioner, are you? No matter how knowledgeable you are in medicine, if you cannot empathize with a patient then you will be known as a "bad doctor". In fact, a doctor with bad inter-personal skills will be much more likely to be sued for malpractice.
>>
>>17383741
http://www.4degreez.com/

Please try this test and post results.
>>
File: 00000000 82th fix.jpg (58KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
00000000 82th fix.jpg
58KB, 500x281px
I have an MS in neuroscience (chemical physiology, more accurately), and spent my first 26 years being all about the science. I published a couple of original articles as an undergrad, and my MS thesis was on the integration of mechano- and chemosensory data in behavioral algorithms. So that's my street cred. I changed careers at 26 and I'm a ship's captain now. Different life.
At your age, I felt I was missing out on life. I was a little shy and that didn't help. I didn't have a chip on my shoulder and I'd never suggest I was smarter than all my peers- that's such a temporary condition it's not worth mentioning. There's always someone smarter out there, and being bright adds neither money to the bank nor inches to the dick, for that matter.
What I did was bring a book to a bar, sit, drink a couple of beers over the course of 2 hours, and read my book. I tried to do this at different places, although I had my favorites after a while. I met bikers, criminals, doctors, everyone, you know? People see you reading at a bar, often they'll come up and start a conversation, ask about your book. I got laid that way more than once, and learned better social skills. I also learned there was a lot more to life than being a neurophysiologist.
I reread some of my best-received monographs sometimes. It is some thoroughly boring shit to me now.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.