[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I get milk goats or meat goats? My family has about 10

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: happy goat.jpg (61KB, 492x600px) Image search: [Google]
happy goat.jpg
61KB, 492x600px
Should I get milk goats or meat goats? My family has about 10 acres of land and I know I'm probably going to get attached to the cute little buggers and would like milk goats at the same time I'm out of work and could use the extra cash that meat goats would bring in. I don't know. What would you do?
>>
>>17382491
It's about money. You're struggling with money, so your choice should be about which type of goat will provide you with the most money, while costing the least amount of money.

Logic dictates that keeping a goat alive and feeding it for years for its milk will cost you more than culling goats when they become of age, and simply breeding more.
>>
>>17382491
Get sheep. They're easier to take care of than goats because they have a herding instinct. You can breed the ewes every year and sell the lambs, and wool in a decent commodity online.
>>
What kind of investment are we looking at for either option?
>>
>>17382498
sheep tear up the roots of grass so they will over graze a pasture and on 10 acres of land I figure it wouldn't take long.
>>
>>17382506
Don't cram 50 sheep into your 10 acres and you'll be fine.
>>
>>17382500
for meat goats (boar goats) $200 a head and for milk goats (Nubian) $75 a head.
>>
I was thinking I Could get a grade A raw milk license and sell the milk and also make Goats milk soap but that's all labor intensive and I need to pick up another job at some point. Its just so sad selling your goats for meat.
>>
>>17382538
but only on 10 acres the milk idea is probably not a real money maker.
>>
Anybody else feeling the cuteness of goats?
>>
/out/ is a good place to ask this... maybe /an/
>>
Having milk goats = having a dairy. Milking 2x per day, EVERY day. If you're cool with that, go for it, but it's a big responsibility and a way of life.
>>
Here's what I do
100 square feet of grazing ground
25 square feet of enclosed space
Two milk goats so you can sell milk and babies (Most don't think about it, but after 4 weeks you can sell babies you don't wish to keep)
Should rake in 400-500$ and subtracting vet costs 300$
So. Milk goat best goat
>>
If you have no experience with goats or dairy animals, get meat goats. The initial investment is lower and if you decide it's not for you liquidating your animals is easier.
>>
File: untitled.png (2MB, 1194x798px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
2MB, 1194x798px
>>17382491
Why goats? Get milk guinea pigs. Smaller animal = less feed = more $$$.

Also, you can make little hats for them and sell them online.

Goat milk is only profitable if you can take the extra step and make cheese. Expect your first 2-3 batches to fail until you get the starter cultures right.
>>
>>17383382
Guinea pig milk tends to taste like the pellets they eat.
>>
Get dairy goats; it's not hard to find people who will buy their milk. Besides, if it comes to it, milk goats are better at producing meat than meat goats are at producing milk.
Source: owned goats for most of my life.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.