[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

College: Which language to learn?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (691KB, 1000x950px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
691KB, 1000x950px
First of all, I live in the U.S.

Trying to decide what language I should take in college.
>Spanish
>French
>German

Obviously, Spanish would be the most useful for my location by far, but would the other two be worth looking at? There'd be that cool uniqueness factor for knowing an uncommon language, but I feel like I'd never get to use French or (especially) German in the states. I'm thinking about going into a government-related job after school if that helps at all.
>>
I'd recommend Spanish, because I learned Spanish for a while and discovered that the other romance languages came naturally.
>>
>>17379271
Learn French, then you can say you know a dead language in a couple years
>>
Spanish is going to help the most by far if you live in US. It's a nice advantage to have when interviewing. Depending on what field you're getting into, you'll like deal with Spanish speakers and companies like that.

French can be nice if you plan on doing any traveling. I mean, most people speak English, but some people also speak French. Lot's of Europe and and especially countries in Africa speak French.

It terms of practicality and overall betterment of life and your career: Spanish.

For possible traveling: Spanish, and then French.

>tl;dr: Learn Spanish, it will help a lot. Then pick up any other languages you want to after that
>>
>>17379358
>French can be nice if you plan on doing any traveling. I mean, most people speak English
This. Many Europeans have at least some proficiency in English, so there's really not a whole lot of incentive to study French or German.
>>
>>17379271
German can open lots of gates in some sectors like engineering or pharmaceutics. I would probably choose Spanish.
Spanish>German>French I would chose if I were you
>>
If you look at it logically, you should go for Spanish.
>Inb4 world language and such.
>>
>>17379350
Spanish
southamerica and spain

french
half of africa, canada, half of europe a quarter of eurasia

german
kek, good luck learning german as a hobby but germany is a good place to live, I´m an immigrant and I´m really happy here no trolling
>>
If you're a lawyer, then definitely German. Also, like anon said, Germany is an exquisite country to live in. Don't underestimate its use, German is the no. 1 most spoken language in Europe. Austria, Belgium, Luxemburg, Switzerland, Poland, Czech Republic etc. are all countries either on the top or on the rise in Europe. France is falling apart.
>>
>>17379598
Government related job could be in diplomacy or foreign affairs, then I'd go for French. Spanish will follow easily after French btw.
>>
Unless you are majoring in whichever language you choose, you likely won't learn it beyond ordering food or making a hotel reservation.
>>
>>17379271
Learn Chinese, Arabic, Japanese. These are the only ones which pay well. The rest will land you a very shitty teacher job workihg for peanuts.
>>
>>17379598
>Belgium,Poland, Czech Republic
You have no clue about what you are talking about.
>>
>>17379617
>Chinese, Arabic
This for government jobs. The ability to interpret communists and savages is super valuable.
>>
>>17379617
>Chinese, Arabic, Japanese
Only Arabic and maybe Chinese would be a useful one. German is way more useful than Japanese
>>
>>17379638
forget about chinese, japanese and arabic because they usually use natives or people whose parents are natives.
>>
>>17379648
Arabic is actually very useful if you want to make bank in a place like Dubai or Saudi Arabia,that pay extremely well if you have western education
>>
>>17379633
Do you?

> muh reading comprehension
>>
>>17379653
>Dubai
And you'll get a life sentence for possessing a gram of weed. Nice place!
>>
File: sp.png (94KB, 587x479px) Image search: [Google]
sp.png
94KB, 587x479px
>>17379271
>I live in the U.S.
>Spanish

/thread
>>
>>17379611
this
I took Spanish on and off through junior high, high school, and college, and I couldn't hold a conversation in it now-- I almost could the last time I was taking it though, and a good bit of that was retreading things
>>
>>17380555
Unfortunately this is how it works out for most people. Not many choose to maintain what they've learned. Shame, because it's a nice skill to have.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.