[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Friends talk about shit I think are fucking stupid, one sided

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1462336613651.gif (2MB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1462336613651.gif
2MB, 300x300px
What do I do when my friends are talking about things that I don't give a shit about? Like in situations where two of my friends circlejerk about their vapes I can't seem to stop feeling resentment towards them. Or when my friend by himself is having long one sided conversations to me about his opinions on the quality of a specific album's vinyl pressing, how do I even react to him when I don't even give a shit? And how can I quit feeling like they are beneath me when they do these things?

And on that note, how do I talk about things that I don't have a specific interest in? I feel like I focus on things that I am interested in at any given instance & not a lot else, so I feel like I can be predisposed to having one sided conversations myself. I have trouble knowing what else to talk about other than any select few ideas that I may generally have in any given setting. I keep seeing things in black and white and I don't know how to not, what do I do? My friend that's doing this too just causes this entire thing to perpetuate itself between us and it's like both of us kind of passive aggressively are trying to slyIy push our agendas on each other, we're good friends and I like the guy but everything is way too strategic and it's making me obsess about everything so much more. He like collects information like an encyclopedia about every single thing he finds an interest in and goes on about it too long, & when I appear uninterested he just gets self conscious and I don't want to encourage him doing that because my opinion is that it's a bad/dumb thing for somebody to do (me being too black and white again) but I also feel like it's bad for myself and I don't want to think in that pattern.

I've had a psychiatrist tell me I have aspergers & two psychologists tell me that my OCD is more of the factor in my issues, I honestly am having trouble deciding this myself. I always figured I had aspergers because I hate myself & I especially hate other people with aspergers.
>>
I think there is nothing much you can do. If they aren't interested they aren't interested and that's that. If you get along with them generally and you don't mind them then don't ditch them, just seek out other friends that you can talk about your interests with. I know it's difficult to find new friends, especially of the same sex, but just put yourself out there and be bold and confident.
>>
It's like every time I have a good thought of something to say, I feel a need to say that as fully and detailed as I can. Instead of just acting in an instant based on my surroundings (or whatever it is I'm supposed to be able to do) I feel like the way I function is trying to say the best thing I can in any given scenario rather than actually being a part of the conversation wholeheartedly (since, like I said, I can only wholeheartedly discuss things that I am interested in and have trouble talking about anything when this isn't the case), so when I am interested it's like I'm having my own one sided statements and it's like I'm saying what I say for my own comfort of mind instead of being for social gratification?
I feel like a lot of this is the case for my friend as well
>>
>>17378098
I mean we share interests and have a strong bond and we want to be friends with each other, and plus we're in a band and have alike music tastes (whether or not the reasons for this are equal), but all this shit he does like the vaping talk and the constant need to fit the (annoying) image he creates for himself (which is an unrealistic image created out of social anxiety or something) annoy the shit out of me a lot of times
>>
please? bump?
>>
>>17378102
I sometimes find myself in a similar state of mind. This feeling of wanting to share something in a manner that ends being its entirety. My advice is to just to be straight forward when you mention a point. If they are open minded or curious, they'll ask about how that point is true or relates to what they said. It's like that saying that goes " you're only responsible for what you say, not what others understand. Of course if you're too vague no one will no what you're talking about. Try not to take conversations too seriously. Consider what others say. If they're stupid, let them be. If not, conversation will be pleasant. Also, listening is a good skill. I myself am working on becoming a better listener. I have a hard time resisting mentioning that I've had the same experience before as someone.
>>
>>17378184
Thank you for this
Do you have any advice on how to have more things to talk about? I can't ever seem to know what to say outside of my own planned thoughts, how can I ever feel safe enough to just speak what I want without over-processing myself?
>>
Bump?
>>
>>17378266
Ask questions. Be attentive. Show interest in the what the other person says. Don't worry so much about controlling a conversation. A conversation is like a dance between two different minds.
>>
>>17378400
I guess showing interest when I'm not feeling it makes me have a knee jerk reaction of uncomfortability maybe? I get like a constant worry that I'm going to mess up or do something wrong maybe?
So if I can't get genuine interest in what the other person is saying, what are ways I can reciprocate them without just rephrasing what they say? I always obsess that me doing that is bad somehow? Like what are some ways I can think to say something that adds onto the conversation? I know I'm agreeable and I'm fine with that but I don't want to be just a yesman to people out of social anxiety, I know I'm a beta but I don't want to be if I can ever help it.
And I'm okay with not controlling a conversation but I'm not sure if I know how to add onto a conversation without bringing up a topic that I have control over. It's not that I don't want to it's just that I don't know a way how. How can I do this? Like especially in one-on-one conversations, I feel comfortable in groups usually but most of my fuck ups and anxiety come from one-on-one conversations with others that I'm not yet on a personal level with (and even if I am on a personal level, it's like if I don't feel above the person I'm talking with then I'm immediately below them and I am too nervous to act naturally).
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.