[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Navy Life

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

File: Front.png (534KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Front.png
534KB, 1920x1080px
I signed up for the Navy, and I am set to ship in November. I got 95/99 on my ASVAB, and my rate will be Nuke.

What should I do to get ready? I have been riding my bike more, several miles every day. I also do pushups, crunches, and squats every few days, and have a physically demanding job at a shop. I lost a large amount of my muscle mass and body fat when I was sick several months ago, around 25-30 pounds.

My spine constantly hurts, so I hate running. It's curved and out of whack, even when I lay down and "straighten" it. Will this be an issue at boot camp? No one at MEPS noticed.

Are there any tips for Boot Camp, Nuke School, Sub / Carrier life, or just how to be an adult?
>>
File: Side crop.png (267KB, 797x961px) Image search: [Google]
Side crop.png
267KB, 797x961px
I realize I should have cropped that. Here's a side view. I am laying on the table. Spines aren't supposed to do that.
>>
It looks like you have very very mild scoliosis, if you can even call it that, not that much of a problem. Were you laying down or standing at an angle for this Xray? The discs in your back look like they have pretty good space, except the lower L5/S1 disc, but that's to be expected of an adult male.

My advice would be to STOP doing crunches / sit ups immediately. The place far too much pressure on the spine and can cause a disc to prematurely herniate. Jumping jacks should be avoided as well because of the repeated loading on the discs while the muscles are otherwise engaged can put stress on the spinal ligaments.

Try planking for 1-2 minutes several times a day instead of crunches / sit ups. Also consider doing side planks / superman holds for the same amount of time once you get your stamina up while planking. Try pull ups to work out the upper back muscles. Pull ups could also help your lower back by promoting all around core stability.
>>
File: lower back stretches.jpg (370KB, 1700x2200px) Image search: [Google]
lower back stretches.jpg
370KB, 1700x2200px
Relevant:

http://www.navytimes.com/story/opinion/2015/12/05/editorial-revamp-navy-fitness-test-prt-pfa-overhaul/76009196/

http://scoobysworkshop.com/2012/07/01/rotisserie-functional-core-abs-workout/
>>
If all else fails, see your PCP / any doctor and get a recommendation for physical therapy. Explain to them your problems and have them give you tailored exercises for your back.
>>
You'll be fine bro. The Navy is for fat people anyway. If you weren't fat now you'll become fat because of how lazy you'll become.
>>
File: 1458328535046.png (139KB, 200x155px) Image search: [Google]
1458328535046.png
139KB, 200x155px
>>17377295
I was laying on a table for those. When my back is "straight", it is still kind of curved.

Planking is when you lay on your forearms, and hold yourself taught with your core, yes? If so, I know how to do them and will change my workout.

>>17377317
I saw a chiropractor before I moved, and he recommended physical therapy. I have no money, and insurance is fucking bureaucracy on steroids, so it isn't really an option. I live in another state now, and I have no clue how to get the poor people's insurance here. Any people from Michigan know how it works?

>>17377318
I am pretty lazy already, I only work out because I know it will be important.
>>
File: scoliosis.jpg (56KB, 800x459px) Image search: [Google]
scoliosis.jpg
56KB, 800x459px
>>17377248
Nuke is hard.
You're either on a sub or a carrier and either way it's like living in a coffin.

As for your spine, do squats and deadlifts.
Not even kidding.
The best way to work out imbalance is to train the muscles that balance you.
Squats and deadlifts help you work the muscles that keep you straight.

Look at Scoob here.
He has some bad scoliosis but he supports it well because his tertiary muscles are strong as fuck.
>>
>>17377335
Then keep working out and take care of yourself.

For some reason half the Navy vets I've met are fat.

>>17377340
And this guy is right about working out. When I used to waste money on a chiropractor, because I have a slight case of scoliosis myself, I was told to exercise to strengthen the rest of my back to help support the weaker portion essentially and actually just my back in general.
>>
>>17377335

Avoid chiropractors, some are good but most are bad and just in it for the money they can milk from desperate people.

Yes, planking is as you described. Try to keep upping the amount of time you can hold the plank every few days / week or so. You should see results from this exercise after 2-3 weeks.

Michigan Medicade:
http://www.michigan.gov/mdhhs/0,5885,7-339-71547_4860---,00.html

Hop on it asap. Depending on your income, most everything is very low cost / free if you can stand to wait forever. If the application process is too complex, look into non profits that help people apply. They should be listed as medicaid counselors or insurance market place councilors, something to that effect. Google will be your friend in finding one close to you. They can be essential in getting you the right coverage if your earnings are in a certain income bracket and you have to participate in the commercial insurance markets. Pro tip : they will never charge you money, if they are trying to, that's a scam - run away.
>>
>>17377248
You went nuke?
You're trying to go to bootcamp with a fucked spine?
You're being an idiot dude.

>>17377295
He's gonna be doing an awful pucking lot of those at RTC

And a lot of running at nuke school. The chiefs there fucking love to make their classes run.
>>
>>17377248
Oh, and just so you know, even if you're DEP'd in you can still just leave as long as you do so before you swear in a second time at MEPS, right before you head to bootcamp. They make you swear in twice.

And after that, they make dropping out of bootcamp a living hell.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.