[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I cheated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8

File: mfw.jpg (90KB, 567x736px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
90KB, 567x736px
HELP

I accidentally admitted to my teacher I cheated. I am in med school and we have to do these horseshit quizes that are near impossible to pass. So me and a group of 18 (out of 41) took them together and made good grades.

Later that day I happened to run into our instructor in the lab and we were shootin shit and ..

>Teacher: student's are always complaining the quizes are hard
>me: they are pretty difficult, it takes a lot of heads to work them
>Teacher: you cheated
>me: no it wasn't like that (smiling)
(I change subject)

I didn't know we were not suppose to work on the together but the syllabus says "Work independently".

how fucked am I on monday?
>>
Just say you meant. Work them later, after the test, like after you finished you group and talk about all the questions and it takes lots of you to come up with the good answers and book citations. Jeez.
>>
>>17377039
As long as you're cool with your professor you're probably overthinking this. I highly doubt he wants to see half a fucking cohort on some kind of academic suspension, and if his tests are really that difficult, it says more about the learning environment there than anything, especially if 18 of 41 cheat? kek
>>
Relax. Seriously, you are overthinking it. The instructor is probably thinking "those darn kids." Not "How do I ruin this kid's life based on no evidence other than this off-hand comment?"

Take a deep breath, forget about it.
>>
>>17377062
>>17377290

The issue with that is, I also mentioned I and my best bud worked together. he also said
>You cheated

Just like that. I continued you the conversation into what I posted into the OP..

So really, he knows what I meant.

Oh and he can see the times we submitted them..
>>
>>17377303
>I continued you the conversation into what I posted into the OP..
*I continued to the conversation that I post in the OP
>>
>>17377311
Online submission .. and let me guess .. open book?
>>
File: dennis.jpg (54KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
dennis.jpg
54KB, 500x500px
>>17377350
Clinical cases that are online.

The syllabus says "Work independently" in bold and underlined.

I need some advice
>>
>>17377039
Say you studied with partners (quizzing each other, prepping and support, etc) to prep for tests. All above board.
>>
>>17377390
Even when looking at the date and all, there is no way he can prove you cheated. Well except if he can get to know the room you were in while taking the test and prove that you were together, which imo is nearly impossible. Also, if you were not under surveillance, then it must mean you could do it the way you wanted.
>>
Did you all get the same grade? That's a sure sign you cheated, especially if the rest of the class has fairly distributed grades
>>
>>17377660
Dummy, this isn't a court of law. Suspicion of cheating with burden of proof is all that's needed. There is an honor code you sign before entering college, you broke that honor code. Doesn't matter if other people did it too. Would you jump off a bridge?
>>
File: afonso.jpg (753KB, 1187x1643px) Image search: [Google]
afonso.jpg
753KB, 1187x1643px
>>17377664
>Did you all get the same grade?
no, but we did get 10-20 points higher than the average (70)

>>17377704
>Dummy, this isn't a court of law. Suspicion of cheating with burden of proof is all that's needed. There is an honor code you sign before entering college, you broke that honor code. Doesn't matter if other people did it too. Would you jump off a bridge?
this is why i need help/advice
>>
>>17377744
>no, but we did get 10-20 points higher than the average (70)
Yeah, that's going to raise suspicions, especially if everyone's done badly on the past tests. Honestly, that's possibly the only proof he needs, combined with what you said which basically amounts to a confession. He probably won't be able to nab everyone else who cheated, but you've fucked yourself over.

And he's perfectly in his right to penalise you. You agreed to abide by terms of academic integrity, and you broke them
>>
File: gwb.jpg (18KB, 412x298px) Image search: [Google]
gwb.jpg
18KB, 412x298px
>>17377758
>And he's perfectly in his right to penalise you. You agreed to abide by terms of academic integrity, and you broke them
Yes, got any advice?
>>
>>17377758
>>17377779
I was going to go up there and talk to him. But decided to not make a big deal about and pray he forgets it over the weekend.
>>
>>17377779
>>17377782
Do you have a good, reasonable explanation for what you did? Something that justifies clearly disobeying instructions? Because if not, there really is nothing you can do, you're at his mercy now
>>
File: ambiorix.jpg (27KB, 300x449px) Image search: [Google]
ambiorix.jpg
27KB, 300x449px
>>17377785
>Do you have a good, reasonable explanation for what you did?
No, but I have an explanation:

I didn't read the syllabus "Independently" part.

That's why I didn't talk to him.
>>
>>17377798
>I didn't read the syllabus "Independently" part.
That's not on him. He made the terms clear, if you didn't read them properly, that's negligence on your fault. You can't argue "I didn't know" when you should have known.

You fucked up. You're going to have to face the consequences, whatever they happen to be. You've putting your whole academic career at risk because you cheated - and there's no way you can say you didn't, because you did
>>
File: belarussian off 1944.jpg (63KB, 450x707px) Image search: [Google]
belarussian off 1944.jpg
63KB, 450x707px
>>17377809
>You fucked up. You're going to have to face the consequences, whatever they happen to be. You've putting your whole academic career at risk because you cheated - and there's no way you can say you didn't, because you did
That's what I am afraid of.

This shit cost too much money (2 years in) and I potentially got some of my peers kicked out..
>>
>>17377818
It's not in your hands now, it's in his. And I'm not sure if he'd have enough to do anything about your peers, since he has no way of distinguishing who cheated and got the grade they did, and who genuinely got that grade. All he has is the other stuff you said. Potentially he can get your friend too, based on >>17377303, and anyone else you mention was involved
>>
File: Ascetic.jpg (48KB, 400x326px) Image search: [Google]
Ascetic.jpg
48KB, 400x326px
Does anyone else have any tips on what I should do?

this is killing me and i cannot stop thinking about it
>>
This happened at my veterinary school. Hate to say it but people got thrown out.
>>
File: Pedernales Falls.jpg (767KB, 2656x1494px) Image search: [Google]
Pedernales Falls.jpg
767KB, 2656x1494px
>>17378870
What happened exactly? What was the situation?
>>
>>17378920
They had evidence that people were taking take-home online tests together (I'm guessing they saw that people who started/submitted the tests around the same time had similar answers). Everyone in my class had to fill out a paper to say if we knew anyone was cheating. The people who were accused in the papers were then interviewed by ththe dean. But not everyone who was accused or interviewed by the dean was punished. I guess some talked their way out of it so maybe there is hope that you can talk your way out of your situation.
>>
>>17378951
Does it help that this is a quiz (10% of final grade)? We cannot cheat on a test, they're taken in class setting.
>>
>>17379933
>Does it help that this is a quiz (10% of final grade)? We cannot cheat on a test, they're taken in class setting.
Probably not. I don't think it's guaranteed that you and your friends are going to get expelled, but it's almost certainly within the university's right to do so.

I hope for your sake that it blows over and your instructor either forgets you said that or decides to pretend you didn't say it. If it does not, that you either a) just get flunked or b) get a sympathetic dean who decides not to pull the trigger.

I've been out of school a long time, and I never tried to be a doctor, but I was a lecturer at a university for a while when I was in grad school (not a TA; I had my own courses).

Caught two students plagiarizing someone else's work in a paper. Could, and arguably probably should, have gotten them both expelled.

Instead, I told them I was on to them, demanded new papers within 48 hours, and flunked them on the assignment, which brought their grades down in the course. But they got to stay in school and I'd be surprised if they tried it again.

I hope your med school is home to a similarly soft-hearted sucker like I was.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.