[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Found an injured baby bird

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: comfygif.gif (613KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
comfygif.gif
613KB, 500x374px
>Came home from work
>Blackbird going insane, lost it's baby
>Found a cat underneath a car with a baby bird in it's paws
>Chased off the cat and retrieved the baby bird
>Injured, bloody, but not bleeding terribly bad. Seems to have a gash on it's back from the cat's claws.
>Display baby bird in my garden for the mother to retrieve it
>Mother gets near it but doesn't notice it, after a while gives up and flies away.
>So now i've got this little injured bird in a cardboard box (opened up) in my shed.
>I've fed it (lots, must've been really hungry) gave it water and tried to make it as comfortable as possible.

It's now 10PM so i'm gonna see if it survives the night.
If it does, what should I do? Should I keep it until it's able to fly or go to the vets?
>>
Nearest wildlife rehab center ASAP. That's the only answer if you want it to have a chance of surviving.
>>
Take it to a wildlife rescue where they are able to care for it properly. If there isn't one in your area then google how to care for one so you can give it a chance at life. That bird is a fighter to have survived that, I hope it makes it.
>>
I get these calls a lot. You should leave it out for the parent to find it. You said it flew away, but perhaps it was flying away to obtain food for the nestling. It doesn't matter that you've handled it, that is a myth. The parenting instinct in some songbirds is so strong, they have been observed feeding abandoned chicks that don't even belong to them (eg American Robin). Chances are, the injured bird will die, it's ok, it's not your fault.
>>
>>17376526
If it has wounds from the cat, its good as dead. Cats have a lethal bacteria on them that kills birds rapidly.
>>
>>17376526
Regardless of the outcome, you're still a hero in my book.

Good job, OP.
>>
>>17376526

Nature sucks like that. In fact, that bird was probably out of the nest because one of its siblings pushed it out. This is a fairly often tactic as it means less competition for momma's food.

Personally, I feed them to my snakes.

>>17376543
>It doesn't matter that you've handled it, that is a myth.

In fact, most birds don't even have a sense of smell, so there's no real way they would know anyway.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.