[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Utah vs California?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1467870740561.gif (2MB, 300x222px)
1467870740561.gif
2MB, 300x222px
I got 2 good offers from different companies recently. One is located in Provo Utah and the other one in Palo Alto California. The salary in California is slightly higher,but looking at rents alone Utah seems way cheaper,and my salary would be way higher,but I heared lots of weird stuff about mormonism. I am a Catholic and I am planning to have children with my wife.
Where should I go? I preffer sunny weather and I am not American.
>>
Where are you from originally? What have you heard about Mormons, and what is it you look for in people/communities?
>>
Ex mormon living in utah reporting in. I don't really like Provo--I think it's ugly and congested. Provo has Brigham Young University, the church's college, and so there are tons of returned mormon missionaries there. They will, at some point, try to convert you and/or your kids, just accept that as a given. If you like outdoorsy stuff though there's tons to do in utah within just a couple of hours drive. It's pretty sunny there but the winters do get sort of intense sometimes.
Can't speak for California though but you can ask me anything about provo.
>>
I have lived in Provo and found it sunny and beautiful. Mormons are not as weird as people say, but it depends what you like in people. I am a very quiet and polite person, so I appreciate Mormons.

California is the one that many Americans would choose. It probably has wider variety of people, more job opportunities, but also in higher demand, so you probably pay more and get less for your money.
>>
>>17375437
>Where are you from originally?
Conservative part of Spain.
> What have you heard about Mormons,
That if you are not one you won't be able to be friends with them,and tha they marginalized you,and that would make the transition pretty hard. Specially for my wife.
> and what is it you look for in people/communities?
I like it. We usually celebrated things together in my town,and I would like to have a strong community presence for my family.
>>
>>17375442
>I am a very quiet and polite person, so I appreciate Mormons.
So I am. Looking at the prices alone Utah is a way better option. I also plan to return to Spain after some years,so making bank is important to me.
>>
>>17375446
>marginalized
Hmm, perhaps the other Provo guy can answer here. Mormons I have known were mostly outside of Utah, so they integrate more into the community. I can definitely see how it would be hard to move to a place with majority Mormons if you do not plan to convert.
>>
It can also be hard living in a new culture, so maybe it's better to live a place that will be easier to adjust (California). I am not sure.
>>
>>17375464
It is important for us to at least have a group of friends,especially for my wife,which is leaving her job and her groups of friends for me and our future kid. We are not planning to convert.
>>
>>17375469
We are an Opus dei family,so I am not sure of California will be a better fit. I guess that there are lots of Catholics in California,so there is that too.
>>
>>17375395
I live and grew up in California- the one prospect of living here is how easy it is to find work.
But even the locals here are flooding into the poorer areas so even Santa Ana and Costa Mesa's rent has become unaffordable. And every year it goes up! It's impossible to find anywhere rent controlled.
If it's SoCal you're moving to and you're looking for friendly families, you'll find the family aspect in one of our many suburban areas but the people are usually far from friendly and bordering uppity. A lot of "keeping up with the Jones'" mentality out here.
The food is cheap, but the gas is really expensive. Our electric and water bills are skyhigh from having to use AC and we pay out the nose for it due to the drought.
Your child would have an amazing education, but even our community colleges are expensive as hell.
So, in short, there are many positives in living in Cali but it's not worth it in the end, the cost of living overpowers the wage you would earn. Move to Utah unless you want to play the rat race out here.
>>
>>17375551
Thank you for the comment. Very informative. I would like to hear the opinion of someone from Utah that it is not a mormon to make the decission
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.