[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Offering Advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 1

File: rain princess.jpg (134KB, 668x667px) Image search: [Google]
rain princess.jpg
134KB, 668x667px
Male/48/USA
married 24+ years, 5 kids
Started my own business 5 times, 2 of which did great, 2 of which failed.
Succeeded, failed, and more enough to at least know what not to do.
Training session at work cancelled so I have the day at my desk with little to do.
Offering advice.
>>
>>17372048
What are your 2 successful kids doing? And the failures? What are the main differences between them?
>>
>>17372048
How did you get started setting up your own business? I've always liked the idea of starting a business but I'm afraid because I've no prior experience.
>>
>>17372054
All the kids are pretty successful, considering only 1 is an adult. All do well in education and the oldest is doing great in the real world.
The largest differences are their interests.
>>
>>17372068
Oops sorry didn't read the OP correctly, thought you had 2 successful kids and rest is failure. What is your oldest doing? How is he doing so great?
>>
>>17372048

How'd you know she was the one?

Also how do you keep the romance alive without drifting apart?
>>
>>17372055
It is shockingly easy and weirdly tough. It took me about $100 and a week to create a corporation, about 2 more to get reseller contracts with manufacturers and distributors and then boom! I had a company selling computers and software.
The first time I tried that I barely earned enough to pay the bills and then got a job. The second time I sold just my client list for enough cash to pay off the cars and not need to work for a year and a half. The difference?
The second time I went after small and medium businesses in the suburbs, not major corporations downtown.
If you have a skill that you can get paid for you can start a business.
>>
>>17372048
How's a young man with a weathered heart to endure life as a poor up-and-comer with beautiful women populating every waking summer day?
>>
>>17372079
Started the 'high school and college at the same time' thing at 16, graduated with an Associate's in Engineering at 18, plus a skilled trade cert in diesel. Now he is 19, makes $35k/year working 30 hours a week and is getting his BE paid for by the company he works for. He likes the work, is saving his money, etc. I hadn't nearly that much organization at his age
>>
>>17372082
Love at first sight. We met on a blind date arranged by mutual friends, had a quiet dinner as part of a double date. That night I told my roomie I had met my wife and she wrote in her journal she had met her husband.
We are both romantic to and about each other. We never, ever speak badly about each other to anyone else. And we have sex a lot.
>>
>>17372091
Speak to them of truth and beauty, remember that each day is full of promise, and spend time in nature.
>>
How do you not go insane as you and your partner age?

I'm 25 and married and to be honest I don't even find females past this age attractive. Sex life is dead before it started.
>>
>>17372109
To me my wife is still lovely and we average 3-4 times a week despite hectic schedules and kids....
>>
>>17372097

what age and where did you meet? college? university? work?

Also at what age did you have children?
>>
>>17372141
She was 19 and in college, I was 22 and a soldier when we met. We held off having kids for a few years and regret waiting to this day - I was almost 30
>>
>>17372149

when i hear love stories like that sometimes I feel like there's no hope for me, i'm 23/f, still in college, thought i met the one and it wasn't :( guy told me true love doesn't exist
>>
>>17372162
Yeah, I hear that from others, too. My sister waited and met her husband when she was 39 - they are very happy 20 years later (one of my older sisters, obviously) so it is possible, if rare.
>>
>>17372048
grabbing coffee and a danish, be right back
>>
>>17372187
And I am back
>>
>>17372290
What parenting advice would you give your kids?
>>
>>17372319
1) Let kids be who they are meant to be. You want them to be a doctor, lawyer, or artist? So what?
2) Set firm limits of what they cannot do, mainly stuff that endangers them physically (and I mean 'end up blind or dead' not 'they have a scrape') and stuff like lying, cheating. Other than that, let them try stuff.
3) People learn from failure; let them fail as long as it isn't 'they'll never walk again' sort of failure.
4) As a parent your goal is not to get them a good education or a good job; your goal is to help them grow into a fully-functional adult. If education is getting in the way of that, fuck school.
5) related to #4; parenthood is about the kids, not you. If you want your kids to do X or Y to make you look or feel good as a parent, you might no longer be putting 'helping my kid become a fully functional adult' first.

Top of my head
>>
>>17372048
Recently turned 19, I have a good paying job, probably can move out from my parents in a few more days but the only thing is, I'm only finished High School.

I'm thinking of going back to College, as before, my parents didn't have money to support me even with Scholarships and shit (Where I'm from, you need to pay for tuition upfront). I'm just scared of taking the entrance exam and failing, been years since I last held a textbook and my mind was focused only at work before then, been thinking of Community college, but that's also a stigma here, companies have high fucking standards and I'm able to keep my job because I'm more than competent.

Do you think I should stick with my work and move up the corporate ladder? or should I go back to school and invest in my future?
>>
>>17372048
I'm a 26 year old NEET that has no degree and no idea what to do with his life, what advice would you give me?

UK if it makes a difference.
>>
>>17372345
Do both. With online schools you can take classes when you have the time and build up to a degree in no time
>>
>>17372348
Get a trade. I'n fairly sure there is a lot of training for things like lorry driver and such and they can lead to good work
>>
>>17372394
Suppose I could look in to a trade, lorry driver is dumb though, going to be automated in 15 years.
>>
>>17372406
Lorry drivers aren't just 'guys driving trucks'; you need to know the law, safety, material handling, etc. If trucks are fully automated then you'll still need a guy in the truck with the same non-driving skills, they'll just call him a supercargo, or something.
Besides, you'll change careers at least once in the next 15 years
>>
I'm trying to get into a certain school, which involves working on a portfolio, but I can't for the life of me motivate myself to do anything recently. What do you think? Thank you in advance!
>>
>>17372412
That's where we are at now mate

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/07/convoy-self-driving-trucks-completes-first-european-cross-border-trip

The whole point is to have no human.
>>
>>17372419
If you can't get yourself motivated to get in, what makes you think you care enough to finish?
>>
>>17372048
off to lunch, back later
>>
>>17372462
And I am back again
>>
>>17372583
shameless self-bump
>>
did you feel any dread when your kids were on the way?
>>
>>17372654
No, not at all. I was very excited.
>>
Hey, you gave me previous advice on my baby. Thanks.

I have around $500 in gift money from when my son was born. Should I put it into a stock portfolio for him, or tuck it away in a savings account? I can't do both yet, I'm pretty poor.
>>
>>17372663
Investment accounts can be risky; I'd do a AAA rated bond.
>>
>>17372667
Thank you. I'll look into that, then. My father's really encouraging the stocks, but I feel uneasy trying to build a future on that.
>>
>>17372677
Try a well-rated ETF or corporate bond; that will appease him.
>>
>>17372097
>We never, ever speak badly about each other to anyone else.

I can't tell you how refreshing this is. It makes me so depressed how normalized it seems to be to complain and make mean jokes about your spouse behind their back.
>>
>>17372048
I'm a financial advisor and want to find more high-profile clients. What networking tips can you offer me other than Chambers of Commerce?
>>
>>17372702
Never. We both refuse. How can she trust me if I bad mouth her? If I knew, or even suspected, that she went out with other moms and all she did was demean me, why would I trust her? It makes no sense.
Don't get me wrong - we disagree; we fight. But I have her back and she's got mine.
>>
Hi, you seem like a level headed person.
I just recently broke up with my boyfriend, who I love and he still loves me. We were in a relationship for a year and a half, with very few problems or arguments, and overall we were very happy. The reason why I broke up with him is because I was afraid that our relationship was going so well that we'd eventually get married.
For a little context, I'm 19 and have two years left in a STEM degree. He's 24 and he just graduated. I have always imagined myself dating and having relationships with a bunch of different people, and traveling wherever my jobs may take me, and living a very free life. He's my first boyfriend, and we almost immediately entered a relationship with no casual dating beforehand. He's already looking to settle down and get a permanent career and a place to live. I can only imagine that if we had stayed together, we would get married after I graduate and then I would never fulfill any of those visions/dreams that I have for myself. The problem is that I feel that I love him so much, I feel that I'm throwing away something precious that I will never encounter again, and that I'll ultimately be left unhappy. A large part of me feels like I've made a horrible mistake.
Any advice or thoughts are appreciated. Thanks for listening to my drama.
>>
>>17372710
Charity gold events. I had a big payday about 12 years ago and a neighbor talked me into going to some charity golf thing 'for the kids' (it was a very worthwhile charity). I go in as a volunteer organizer (I suck at golf, but....) where I go ut with the donors to thank them and make sure they have a good time and understand how their money will help.
Boom! Suddenly I am in a golf group with the CEO of a Fortune 25 firm, the CFO of a well-funded start up, and Gale Sayers. They are all asking for *my* card since I am one of the organizers.
I have helped organize that event every year since. Yes, we do a lot of great things for poor and sick kids. And I have personal contact with excellent prospects.
>>
Recently, my trust was hurt by my boyfriend and I'm trying to come back from that. I never expected to be hurt by my partner, but I suppose that's naive of me.

What's the worst your wife has hurt you, and what's the worst you've ever done to hurt her? How did you heal?
>>
Have you, your wife, or kids, suffered from depression? And if so how did you begin to cope/help them with their struggle?
If not, do you have any advice on the matter at all?
>>
>>17372721
What do you want more, a carefree life or someone who cares for you?

>>17372728
weird - my trip dropped. That was me
>>
>>17372728
Many thanks to you. I've done a charity event before, but as a vendor. I'll see if I can get an organizer role.
>>
>>17372731
When we had been married about 2 years someone told her I had cheated on her when we were dating and she was afraid it might be true, which upset me since I had been faithful and I was offended she didn't assume that.
So - real minor.
Once when she was having an argument I misheard her and went on a rant for 3 minutes about how she didn't care, until she corrected me. Again, she was hurt I didn't assume I misheard, so really minor.
You have to decide is he is worth trusting again and then see if he betrays you again.

>>17372740
My wife did, but it was side-effects of a medicine she was taking, so that doesn't really count.
Exercise, eat right, get regular sleep, and see your doctor
>>
>>17372048
Who should we vote for? I know they both suck but which one is the worst/best.
>>
>>17372721
Just chiming in because I had a similar problem before. I was more worried that I'd miss my chance to see what was out there in terms of men before settling down too early (also around the age of 19 at the time). I broke up with my boyfriend (for various reasons unrelated but timing was good) and realized most people are just okay. You'll find faults in everyone. I used to look at people and wonder what they were like and how they were in bed, but never the bad things.

Its important to be realistic. What great traits your ex has, may not be in who ever you find. Or you can find someone similar but they might have a temper or something that gets on your nerves, etc. Value him as an entire being and don't look at only the positives in fleeting relationships.
My ex used to be very overly affectionate and I wasn't into that, but my current boyfriend is very against PDA. I didn't realize I would miss that aspect. But I appreciate a lot of other traits in my current boyfriend that my last didn't have.

Also I regretted sleeping around immediately after. I slept with 1 person a bit after I broke up and was like "wow this is shit. I'm using this guy because I'm indecisive and causing him emotional pain". Don't be a dick and use people because you want to explore. Even though that guy wanted to be FWB he ended up falling into me and it ended messy.

Also also, you can travel the world with him? I don't see the issue there.
>>
>>17372762
Based upon the Sorites Paradox and Arrow's Impossibility Theorem, I haven't voted in national elections in years.
>>
>>17372757
>You have to decide is he is worth trusting again and then see if he betrays you again.

Thank you. I already have decided that he absolutely is. I am just struggling with going back to being 100% trusting as I was before, or listening to my gut more to prevent myself from getting hurt again.
>>
>>17372784
Building back up to 100% can take a while; just be willing to get there.
>>
>>17372728
Financial advisor again. Do you have any advice for getting into churches? I know you're a religious guy, so maybe you could advise me on using them for networking? I'm not religious myself, but I was raised Catholic and can pass off as a Christian very well. I can't hit up Catholic churches because there's a mess of red tape involved. What is your advice for Protestant churches?
>>
>>17372048
I am dating a girl that is constantly hesitating about wanting children or not. One day she'll joke about it, then she sees her sister's kid and says that she doesn't ever want them. Last time we talked about it she said she will probably want them down the line, but it's a bit soon now, but then she says she can't make up her mind and might never have them.

It's difficult for me because I know that I seriously don't want them. I like her but I know that if she really said "I do want children" I couldn't stay with her. What do I do?
>>
>>17372790
I almost never do business with churches....
Sorry, I can't help there.
>>
Hey OP I need some input.

19, Male, trying to get back into University and sort through bureaucratic bull, at this point it looks like theres almost no chance. Im trying to TLDR the story:
>live with 6 to 7 people in a one bedroom apt, one comes and goes
>can only officially report 4, so basically I go to Uni, have a mental breakdown, spend two years out of uni trying to get help, doing drugs, failing to hold jobs, and finally getting help
>try to go back this fall, got re-accepted, but financial aid isn't covering because when I was homeless with family, a friend took us to live in NY on their charity, but the Uni is in NJ so my financial aid got fucked
>despite explaining all this they dont care
>parents have been supporting NEET's in this family for too long, my oldest brother and his wife who desperately need an intervention but they cant handle it anymore

Parents said if I cant make it into Uni theyre taking me with them to Florida, where my dad is going to try to save enough to retire (he filed bankruptcy), and where he wants me to fix my shit up (go to community college, work, state college, etc, fix my body) and he'll leave behind the NEET's

I'm just scared and don't know what to do. The only skill I have is some carpentry and wood craftsmanship. How fucked am I? What do I do?
>>
>>17372801
Honestly?
Go with dad and get a fresh start. rebuild yourself away from all the drama and old memories. Hell, change what you ask others to call you (as in, you you are Theodore and go by Teddy, start calling yourself Theo, etc.).
Get a cert from a community college and start working - nothing breeds big success like small success.
Eat regularly, get good sleep, exercise at least a little, stop smoking and doing drugs, read actual books, and classics, listen to classical music - break the bad habits and start new, good ones.
Make a clean break - it might be the only way.
>>
>>17372741
Thanks, that does seem to be the root of the problem

>>17372771
Thank you so much for posting this. I haven't been able to find anyone in the same situation as me until now. This helps a lot.
>>
>>17372048
I am knocking off early
Thanks, all
>>
Dude here. How do I get better at sex? my movements feel awkward
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.