[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need a wake up call /adv/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: Tfw no one protects the healer.jpg (561KB, 1999x1849px) Image search: [Google]
Tfw no one protects the healer.jpg
561KB, 1999x1849px
Made it to therapy and the problem was found to be living with my parents; it causes me a lot of stress and depression. This caused me to be a shut in during college. I got a 3.6 with a math degree, but no internships or job experience. Because of that, I can't find a job so i can't move out and the cycle continues.

Yell at me or something. This is hell.
>>
File: george.jpg (36KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
george.jpg
36KB, 640x480px
Bumping
>>
I live with my parents and I'm 31 soon to be 32. I love my parents though and not sure I would want to leave if it weren't for society putting so much pressure on people to move out. I may just buck the system and live with them as long as possible.
>>
>>17370562
Get a basic lower-wage job, get two. Find some roommates.
>>
>excuses
>>
>>17370866
My pressure isn't coming from society but from the shitty home life

>>17370914
I live in Socal and shit is expensive. I'd move anywhere if I could get a job, but moving costs money and I don't have a job so...

>>17370918
I know. I'm full of shit. but I have no direction and just need something, anything. Call me out on my bullshit. What can I do? Is temping an option?
>>
>>17370562

If you're smart enough to get a math degree, you're smart enough to learn how to program. Learn to do it and get a sick job.
>>
>>17371054
I've struggled with this. I did fine in my CS class (C++) but I never used any of it so I've forgotten a lot. Where would I even learn any of that, here's the catch, with the prospect of becoming employable. I know there are a ton of sites, but what would actually get me a job?
Other than another degree.
>>
>>17371067

Depends on what you want to do, really. You could apply for a Masters in CS, coming in with Math undergrad is fairly normal. Talk to your professors about getting an internship and you should graduate with great prospects.

Alternatively, there are bootcamps you can sign up for that will refund tuition if you don't find employment.

Online sites are decent if you can learn that way, but I personally need face-to-face interaction to really learn.
>>
>>17371067

And you could always just adapt some of your coursework to a github profile and showcase it to potential employers. If you're in Socal, you'd be surprised to know how many companies are looking to hire people with even the most basic of programming skills. A math undergrad is almost preferred for some industries.
>>
>>17371084
I figure (this is from someone who doesn't know shit about coding) I'd learn Java and get into the mobile market since that seems to be easy employment. I would do a boot camp with a good reputation. They just seem to good to be true.

>>17371092
I've looked at jobs and it's always that they depends multiple languages, experience, a portfolio, etc. and it's overwhelming. If there were a way to do that, work, and move out I would, but I really need to get the hell out of this house.
>>
>>17371103

Yeah, Java -> Android programming is a pretty hot market, if you know a good bootcamp, ask if you could talk to a few of their graduates and see what they say about the program.

A lot of jobs will ask for excessive experience or huge portfolios to prevent people with NO business from applying from doing so, but don't let that stop you if you do have something to offer. If you can get a few projects up on github that showcase that you can write a program that can do a thing, you're better off that 90% of applicants. As someone who has had to go through dozens of resumes to hire for an entry level position, you wouldn't believe the kind of people who apply for these jobs. Someone with real code to their name was automatically worth at least phone call.
>>
>>17371143
That's encouraging, thanks anon. Any place in particular where I should get started? I could always go the library or something if you have book recommendations.

Although it really does seem that the bootcamps are the way to go, if this is what I decide on. It just makes me uneasy to take out a loan for $10-$20k on top of the $30k I owe already.

I should probably add that I had a good shot at a job at some medical device testing facility, but they're getting restructures because they got bought out and the guy who would have been my boss got transferred.
>>
>>17371167

I'd read through https://www.reddit.com/r/androiddev/wiki/index and maybe ask the folks there what they think--I'm not an android dev myself.

$10-$20k for a bootcamp sounds like a lot, and it is a lot, but if you can find a solid one it's certainly worth it. Android devs can easily make >$100k within just a year or two depending on ability.

If you have a good shot at another place, it also doesn't hurt to see that through. Is it something you're interested in, or would it just be a job?
>>
>>17370562
You wanna fuckin' die?
>>
>>17371205
I honestly don't know what I'd be interested in. I know vaguely what I'm good at, what I like and dislike, but I've hit a wall trying to directly translate all that to a career. Either way, the place has a real good atmosphere, good pay and benefits, and I know a couple people there, which is why I even have a shot in the first place. For everything offered, I'd be a fool not to take it.

I've weighed cost and benefits of the bootcamp, but I don't like spending money I don't have on something that might not work out. Although, I guess I already did that with my degree so it wouldn't hurt. I'll give the link a try, thanks.
>>
>>17371256

Never underestimate good pay & benefits coupled with a healthy work/life balance. Sounds like that job could be a good career move.
>>
>>17371263
It totally is. There's ton of possibilities if I can get in here, be it upwards or lateral. I've even been told that I could take classes and get reimbursed by the company as long as I work there, so I could take some CS classes online or at a CC to get myself started. It's a great opportunity, but it's up in the air.

I just got the call today about how things have shifted around, again. The people there that I know keep telling me to not give up and that I can still get a phone call any day, but it's not certain in either direction.

I have a bad habit of putting all my eggs in one basket, they're really nice baskets but they've broke in the past, and I'm sure they'll break in the future.
>>
>>17371274

I've been in that situation before, sometimes things are just beyond any one person's control, but they are all rooting for you. All you can do is hope for the best, I suppose. No reason to enroll in an expensive bootcamp while you wait to hear back here, but you could always be looking into self-learning, even if it'll just end up being a hobby.
>>
>>17371300
Yeah, it just sucks being in this cycle of

no job -> no money -> depression from home life

I'm just sitting on my hands laying in bed each day, but you're right. There's no point in worrying about things outside of my control. I'll try to enjoy this limbo to the best that I can.

I'd like to eventually get a career in CS/software engineering since I see the ridiculous pay and employment opportunities coupled with the testimonies from friends of friends who have a career in it. But right now I just need a good job for a college grad trying to move out.
>>
File: 1468599662571.jpg (82KB, 504x701px) Image search: [Google]
1468599662571.jpg
82KB, 504x701px
Find a couch off Craigslist.com.
>>
>>17370562
Today is my birthday its 2 am and i have an extreme headache like im about to have a stroke. I cant stand being here. I cant even see a fucking therapist because the dmv refuses to give me state id. So basicaly im a fucking slave.

I know how it feels.
>>
>>17371320

Sometime life gives you limbo. In a year, when you're busy with your new job, you'll look back fondly at the days when you had nothing to do :)
>>
>>17371330
Happy birthday Anon.

Even if the past year has been uneventful or unsatisfying just know that at the very least, your still moving forward. Time's a bitch in that way, but it's a bitch that keeps us going. Happier times will be ahead, just look out for them.

>>17371346
It's really just the job situation coupled with my already existing depression. It's easily curable, but it's not within my reach right now so it makes me feel helpless. I know that once everything has settled I'll look back on these years and, God willing, laugh it all off.

I like to believe that even if I can't see it, there's still a light at the end of this.
>>
>>17371351

Maybe now is a good time to work at your depression. Your happiness doesn't need to be dependent on having a job. Find something in the day that gives you zen, and make sure to do it at least once a day. It can be taking a shower, taking a walk, feeding birds in a park, cooking, anything. Let it be a slice of happiness in your day and build on it!
>>
>>17371358
Taking walks helps, but I only like to do it in the early morning or late evening.

My depression is just caused by home/family stuff. I've really tried what I can, but even my therapist pointed out how good it would be to get out of the house.

I'd like to leave all this behind me until I can get myself back.
>>
>>17371368
>taking walks

Get on ingress.

know I sa-ge
>>
>>17371373
I was opposed to this when it first came out, but my girlfriend got me into it. There's not much where I live, and I can't get into it unless she's around. I prefer pandora.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.