[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Afraid of showing the Internet my work.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 12

File: baby.jpg (102KB, 660x441px) Image search: [Google]
baby.jpg
102KB, 660x441px
I'm a drawfag and I'd like to make a webcomic, but I've never posted my stuff offline because the internet backlash, sites such as bad webcomics intimidate the absolute fuck out of me, even though friends tell me my art isn't that bad, I've been practicing every day and night my art and I've been checking out said wiki to know what to NOT do. But I wasn't always like this.

A few years ago, I made a grindhouse-style poster, it was a week of work for a certain fan-organized cyber-event and I was incredibly proud of it. I showed my work to a former artist friend (a girl whose skills are really high-rank) my work, she accused me of cheating/tracing to do it because "it was too good to be my work" and added that I only "like to draw", I'm "not serious about it". It wrecked my confidence I stopped drawing for about 2 years and lost my ability to show my work to people. After another friend showed me "Drawing the marvel way" video and gave me a digital copy of the book I began drawing once more, and my skill improved but... How can I get over this crippling fear to criticism?

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>17330356
Why would "too good to be your work" wreck your confidence?

It's like playing a video game and doing some sick plays and some kid calls you out for being a "hacker". It's high compliment that your standard is so far beyond their expected reality that you must've cheated to get there.

A simple reframe does the trick nicely.
>>
File: Sad Galley of Rogues.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Sad Galley of Rogues.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>17330375
Because "too good to be (my) work" was followed by accusations of cheating my way/tracing, and not taking art seriously, just drawing as a distraction.

In was really, really proud of that poster, I really thought I'd get a compliment for my effort from her, not accusations of trace.
>>
>>17330356

do it anyways. anyone who posts their stuff thinking that they arent going to get criticized is out of their mind with delusion.

in 2007 i decided to create a fanime. and i got shit on by every other fanime in that community. for years they insulted my work, talked about how they were the best fucking shit in the world. i struggled with 600 views per episoe at the age of 14 trying to learn how the fuck computers work and being insulted by much older people.

flash forward to now, literally all of those fanime have given up after 1 and a half episodes of mediocre work, mine is the only one in the community to air its complete story, i got over a million views across the episodes and still get 60 thousand views a month (over 100 thousand until some were blocked in america over musical rights). Were loved and adored by thousands, some people consider our fanime cannon, we get fanart, and fan videos and fan fiction and someones even designing an action figure from our OC.

and you know what? people still come along and say 'HURR DURR THIS IS SHIT BECAUSE I SAY SO'.

its something you deal with and keep doing cuz you love what you do.

so just do it OP. put it out there, and learn what criticism is good and bad.

P.S. if you ever want a co-writer on the comic hit me up yo
>>
>>17330375
>their expected reality that you must've cheated to get there.

Ugh, sorry, I'm a bit slow today, I somehow missed this part of your sentence, anon.

I think you're right, that might be the case...

>>17330395
What is this fanime you made?
>>
>>17330407

i made six 'new' episodes of sailor moon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Do7x0_t4To

considering how lazy and inconsistent we were im sure your comic will do just fine.
>>
>>17330356
Anon. Let me tell you something about art.

You know you're getting good when people get angry and start to shit on you.

I've been there too. Art is a hell of a competitive field and every competitor they knock out is someone that they don't have to run against.

As for rebuilding confidence, you need honest friends. Ask for commissions, show them what you got and ask them for feedback. Not strangers on the internet who will call you a faggot at the drop of a hat.
Also, divorce your self-worth from your drawings.
>>
You just do it.

Of you are uncomfortable just make up a new artist name and post them under that to somewhere where people will see them.

If they are bad no one sees them
If they are good people will see them and shit on them in the comments
>>
Your art will get harsh critique no matter how good you are.

But art is a visual medium that has no other function than being shown.
So if you can't show it, why make it in the first place?

So by all means just show it

Also I'm curious how ''a girl whose skills are really high-rank'' works looks like.
>>
File: Do Not Let.jpg (316KB, 600x676px) Image search: [Google]
Do Not Let.jpg
316KB, 600x676px
Pick any popular webcomic, then troll the archives to find the early ones. What you'll find is that they all started bad and steadily got better.

The way they got better was through perseverence.

It hurts when people criticize, but it also hurts when you get to the Old Folks Home and realize you never took your shot.

Take your shot.
>>
>>17330356
turn up bro! Let the world see you shine.
>>
>>17330438

this desu. the truth is no matter how good you are, people will judge your art based on your level.

many of the great artists you knew in highschool were mediocre in the college world and the best artist in your college art class was still shit and 'finding themselves'.

its the reason people will praise the fuck out of really shitty horror films simply because they did good for what they had. when compared to studio films they are absolute crap.

its the reason a movie like 'sin city' which is technically cheap as fuck visually gets such a great reputation
>>
>>17330425
>As for rebuilding confidence, you need honest friends.
I'd like to believe I got this covered. Usually they do give me feedback such as "watch out for the waist/knee/foreshortening" and do a quick sketch or show me a picture online so I try again and show them my re-do. When I told a friend "I feel I haven't improved" he sent me a drawing I did when I was 17, I cringed hard at how bad I was, hah.

>>17330429
>Of you are uncomfortable just make up a new artist name and post them under that to somewhere where people will see them.

I've decided to do this. Is tumblr a good place? My buddy I mentioned who showed me my old art as proof I have, indeed, gotten better says the "artsy" side of tumblr is useful for feedback, art reblogs and tutorials. Just to avoid the drama side.

>>17330438
>Also I'm curious how ''a girl whose skills are really high-rank'' works looks like.

She draws realism, but around the time I stopped talking to her she began making manga-style comics. They look pretty legit, from what I saw.

>17330449
>Pick any popular webcomic, then troll the archives to find the early ones. What you'll find is that they all started bad and steadily got better.
This is true. I like Fanboys Online, but I preffer the art the author had mid-way through than nowadays, but that's besides the point!

>17330459
Thanks, man.
>>
>>17330514

Yes tumblr is your standard art platform. Deviantart is probably the other big place where you could go.

Just make an account and start posting your stuff.
>>
>>17330514

>She draws realism, but around the time I stopped talking to her she began making manga-style comics. They look pretty legit, from what I saw.

That doesn't tell me much.
Show a example.

Also show a example of your own work please.
>>
>>17330557
This is her's.

I'm not home right now, let me see in my phone if I have anything decent to show.
>>
>>17330594
Fucking modern art

It's literally
>current year
crystallized
>>
>>17330606
Her tumblr and her Deviantart are there too.

Checking my mail, sorry I'm taking long to post something anon.
>>
>>17330594
Kek, post it on /ic/ for the laughs and watch them tear at it. I can already hear the
LOOMIS
O
O
M
I
S
>>
>>17330557
Sorry, anon, I can't find anything right now on my stuff, BUT I have my pencil and isograph handy.

Any art request?
>>
>>17330651
give me two things: a portrait of whichever celeb you like and a girl playing tennis.
>>
>>17330725
Okay. Since I'm technically at work I might take a bit, I'll do the girl playing tennis first.

If this thread happens to 404/get archived, I'll make a new one, copy pasting the OP message.

Realistic human faces are not my forte, but I'll give it my best shot.
>>
>>17330752
I gave you that request to be able to gauge your level. Tell me as well if you used reference or constructed from imagination.
>>
>>17330758
Does using a wooden mannequin as refference for proportions counts? I usually use it when at home.
>>
>>17330793
It's a form of reference, yes.
>>
>>17330799
Will ink the drawing shortly with my isoograph. Hope you don't mind it being in black and white, anon.
>>
>>17330924
not at all. If you just have pencil that is fine too you know.
>>
>>17330594

Okeey, I just went through her gallery's, I have no idea how she had so little improvement since 2009.

She seems to lack most basic funamental skills and probably only drew whatever she liked herself throughout her life.

If you're saying your worse than her you have a long road ahead of you.
I'm not saying this to hurt or insult you but I think you're underestimating the amount of practise that you'll need to become ''good'' at drawing/painting.

I'm >>17330557 btw

The guy requesting the drawings is someone else.
>>
>>17330936
Oh, woops, I thought I was talking to the same anon all along.

I'm surprised when I saw her gallery though right now, I was like "did she really delete all her good stuff?".
>>
>>17330959

Yeah, I figured I'd clear it up.

I think the girl playing tennis would be a nice exercise though since it's a challange to get the gesture/movement right.

Also don't you have that grindhouse-style poster uploaded anywhere?
>>
>>17330998
I... do but because it has my current screen name, I rather start anew.

I'm almost done with tennis girl.

Dont like her very much how it came out (especially the hands) since I'm doing it while also working.

Using for refference, my hands.
>>
>>17331051
Requester here, if you could post is in not too long, I'm heading for bed.
>>
>>17331056
Ink drying, got a work scanner, give me a moment.
>>
File: TennisGirl.jpg (303KB, 1711x2437px) Image search: [Google]
TennisGirl.jpg
303KB, 1711x2437px
Urk, not my best effort...

I now realize with this how vital is my mannequin to me as a proportional visual aid.

Did it from mind, no aid except for my hand as refference....
>>
>>17331106
This is perfect tumblr tier stuff.

Just start posting your stuff there and work on improving your skills.
>>
File: tennis.jpg (117KB, 636x900px) Image search: [Google]
tennis.jpg
117KB, 636x900px
>>17331106

Okeey, just like I said about Sakuzelda you lack most basic funamental skills.

I recommend you look up proko on youtube, hes got some very clear tutorials on how to study various funamentals.

Watch his videos and draw with him, just watching wont do you any good.

You might tell yourself that you don't need to know how to draw ''realistic'' as you'll see him doing.
But trust me when I say that no matter in what style you want to draw, doing these exercises will improve your skills.

I'm still in the process of getting ''good'' as well.

I'll try to finish pic related so you can have a beter grasph of my skills set as well.

Good luck with improving anon.
>>
File: Mannequin016.jpg (162KB, 756x2437px) Image search: [Google]
Mannequin016.jpg
162KB, 756x2437px
Among some stuff I found this.

When I began my so-called "return to drawing", I began by drawing my mannequin as-is in different poses.
>>
File: IMG_2431.jpg (354KB, 747x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2431.jpg
354KB, 747x1000px
>>17331106
Alright anon, you are at the beginning of your art journey. No nice way to put it. Sorry.

You are doing what /ic/ calls symbol drawing. Which is, you draw the face in terms of features, you know there are two eyes, a nose, a mouth, and that is what you draw. But that is not what your eyes see. Your eyes see patches of shadow and light and then only comes the realization that you are looking at a face. A good picture manages to be drawn based on what you actually see, the patches of light and dark, not on what your mind interprets.
Redrawing anime is the absolute worst place to learn because it is a stylization. So those artists are people who generally know some anatomy and chose to stylize it. Which you should only do when your anatomy is on par. I don't see any knowledge in that drawing of where a muscle attaches and how to show movement or anything else.
You seem to have your proportions more or less okay, but for example the length of her legs isn't equal.
In any case, the best thing you can do is get a drawing class to start out.
If you want to read / do shit on line:
- google "draw a box", to learn you how to draw proper lines and control your hand
- "fun with a pencil" by andrew loomis, look in the /ic/ sticky, they have links
- "drawing on the right side of the brain", where they'll explain in better terms what I have said here about symbol drawing.

Look at the drawing I attached here, which is one of mine (nevermind the colors it's all I had with me). It's not perfect but you see that the way I put in the shadows (with orange pen) makes you see anatomy, moving away from lines and seeing stuff like "this is a shoulder" "this is a biceps", but just giving a hint of a shadow and you sort of see the shape appear. It's done in 10 minutes btw.
>>
File: Male Body Practice.jpg (328KB, 1070x2553px) Image search: [Google]
Male Body Practice.jpg
328KB, 1070x2553px
>>17331303
Okay anon, I will download the vids and do as your say. Ditto for >>17331256

Posting a practice from a few weaks ago, adding musculature.

I'm trying to stop myself from being so scratchy and get more confidence in my drawing.
>>
>>17331106
You actually studied to draw this?

Sorry bro, but if this isn't a troll thread then you have a couple of years more of studying and practicing before you get good enough. Find yourself a good private tutor.
>>
>>17331313
I did not study to draw this.

In the third world, graphic design class only taught us machinery and digital stuff for companies (designing logos, the ink blueprints for boxes and plastic packages, stuff like that).

For worse, I am "self taught"... I got into graphic design thinking they'd teach us stuff like what I want to do with competent artists, with live models.

Nope. "Shut up and do logos for the local milk brand and posters for the college".
>>
>>17331324
That's why I didn't say "find an academy." Go find yourself a private tutor to take classes 1 on 1 or small groups.
>>
>>17331362
I have looked, but all the places I went, only appreciated (and drew) things like pic related because "muh heritage".

It's why I decided to keep doing it on my own, it's why I came to /adv/, too.
>>
>>17330356
>she accused me of cheating/tracing to do it because "it was too good to be my work"
Just one question. Was she right about this or not?

Because i can't see anything confidence crushing in this if she wasn't right about this. I think it's quite complimenting even.
>>
>>17331423
She wasn't.

I guess, because I took it really seriously and spent a week making it to the best of my skill, I kind of hoped to impress her in a more positive way.

Or maybe it's just it doesn't sound as "harsh" in english.
>>
>>17330356
Do what you want. If you draw without approval from others already thenbit wouldn't hurt to post it now and then. At the very least you'll get to someone.
>>
Keep trying and dont let other's criticism get to you. What you should do is keep practicing and getting better. Good or bad people are going to talk shit.

My brother has a great talent with art. It always came naturally to him. He, like most people, is his own worst critic. When he went to college he was surrounded by people that he felt had better skills than himself. Funny thing is he would easily free hand stuff and people were extremely impressed yet he thought nothing of it. He still feels his skill is just ok and never did anything with it.

I loved art too. I never had the talent like my brother but he encouraged me as much as he could. Eventually i gave it up finding i was much better at writing (which i dont do much of anymore either) and a couple of time for kicks i would write out a few short stories and he would illustrate them.
>>
>>17331461
Its not a kind thing to say, but its born in jealously. But she better then you you say? Doesn't matter why; You picked it up quick, you have lines she's jealous of, she liked you being way below her, who knlws. But yeah, that's a good thing she said to you, it just reflects poorly on her character.
>>
File: tennisf.jpg (185KB, 736x900px) Image search: [Google]
tennisf.jpg
185KB, 736x900px
>>17331256

Done

>>17331324

Same happend to me man.

Another option would be going to a atelier.

Some have like weekly nude models and interesting still life's.
Might be worth checking out.

And if there's nothing near you get 20-30 people to hire a nude model and space.
If everyone pays 10-15 $ you'll be able to pay for both.
>>
>>17331740
>atelier

That's the thing, I have nothing of the sort here, It's frustrating!! I live in Fuckallville, third world, where it's a miracle there's a few art places... Which only focus in Indigenous art and anti-Americanism, ugh. Like a crappily drawn Mickey Mouse head drawn impaled.

I'lll try to practice with photography nude models. I know it's not the same, but until I get 20-30 people it's my best bet.

By the way, anon, I'd like as you a bit more feedback in this sketch >>17331308
>>
You got complimented for your work. It sounds like you're more afraid of being criticized personally rather than for your art. Either way, your friend was just being an ass. If the art is good, share it.
>>
>>17331782

There is not much to critique, you're still in the beginners fase where you have to improve every aspect to your drawing.
I know it sounds harsh but I asure you I'm not trying to demotivate or insult you.

I feel like a asshole to put it like that but there's simply no otherway to actually help.

Take the resources that people have given you in this thread and use them.
After a month, make a drawing of your own taste and apply what you've learned.

Post it again here.
>>
File: HappyKurisu.jpg (29KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
HappyKurisu.jpg
29KB, 550x550px
>>17331864
>There is not much to critique, you're still in the beginners fase where you have to improve every aspect to your drawing.
>I know it sounds harsh but I asure you I'm not trying to demotivate or insult you.
I know. I know there's a difference between "honestity" and actual trying to put down someone.So don't feel like an asshole, anon.

>Take the resources that people have given you in this thread and use them.
After a month, make a drawing of your own taste and apply what you've learned.

I followed the advice, I went to /ic/ and went here http://hubpages.com/art/how-to-draw-learn I spent the afternoon hunting down PDFs of all these books to start practicing. When I finish my current work project, I'll just focus on drawing and drawing, until I nail it.
>>
>>17331923

Blessings of Vilppu be upon you anon.

I hope you get back to us with pleased results next month.
>>
>>17331948
Next month or September, depends on how my work gets, this is the time of the year my job is a bit heavy with production printed media for the 2016-2017.

But yes, I am right now torrenting Vilpu's videos and the books as I type this. I WILL practice god damn it! I'm absolutely SICK of my mediocrity.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.