[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Programming languages?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: 1467781602176s.jpg (5KB, 250x205px) Image search: [Google]
1467781602176s.jpg
5KB, 250x205px
What are the best programming languages to learn? Which one should I learn first?

I would like to learn to code to see if I'd enjoy a career in software development.
>>
What do you wanna do ? You wanna be a web designer? A web analyst? An all around programmer? A mobile oriented programmer? Database oriented?

Start with Visual Basic. Afterwards C ideally and C++ but not entirely neccesary. You may give up here.

Depending on what you wanna do from there you got too many to remember.
>>
Start with Perl
>>
>>17329221
Thank you for your response. I'm not sure what I would like to do in the future, at this point I want to get my feet wet and see if programming is something I can enjoy. People say it's like creating and solving puzzles, which sounds appealing.

If you're still there: is Visual Basic something I could create a working piece of software with or is it mainly a learning tool?
>>
>>17329938
Why Perl?
>>
>>17329168
there are plenty to learn from
pick something popular and something else that seems interesting
"tryXthehardway" where X is the programming language. you'll learn plenty about the languages themselves that way.
and then there's learning about everything else that isn't just languages
>>
>>17329168
Python is the best for beginners
>>
>>17330280
Im not him but visual studio is an IDE allowing you to code in a couple different languages.
It's used professionally and isn't as beginner friendly as other IDE's. Though if you start in it, you'll never know the pain of switching.

Once you know all the functions and theory it's all like puzzles, except that its less fun to do but more rewarding. It's a hard field to get into even if you're one of the best though.
>>
Learn C++ braindead ez
>>
>>17331821
>It's a hard field to get into even if you're one of the best though.
Software development? Are you joking?
>>
If you want to be a computer scientist you'll probably need a breadth of knowledge. I would say python is a good way to dip your fit, but I would move onto C eventually. Learning C will help you really get programming. Then you can move onto C++.

After you feel really confident with those, I would say start learning some oop. java + eclipse can be really fun and easy.

After that go buckwild, ruby on rails, jscript, or whatever.
>>
>>17330546
I think the guy who writes the hardway tutorials is actually a really bad teacher. I learned C formally in a class, and a few years later I checked out the guide for the fuck of it. The guy really doesn't lay out his program very well. I mean it's probably subjective, but without much research I would imagine people have contentious opinions about it.

I can't remember what textbook we used in class, but it was fairly cheap and pretty excellent. I'll try and find it.
>>
File: 1454825151746.png (1010KB, 2000x2210px) Image search: [Google]
1454825151746.png
1010KB, 2000x2210px
Not sure how accurate this is but take it anyway OP
>>
Start with Python, continue with C, learn Java, HTML,CSS,Javascript, and after that you will have a better view.
>>
>>17331881
He means real computer science work, not code monkey, web, legacy, """""app dev""""",
>>
>>17329168
Java has a lot of concepts that are applicable to many modern languages.
>>
>>17332069
This is awesome, exactly what I was looking for, thank you!
>>
>>17332599
So learning Java early would make learning other languages easier?
>>
File: 1360972975588.jpg (41KB, 250x337px)
1360972975588.jpg
41KB, 250x337px
>>17332568
>real computer science work
>>
>>17331821
When you say it's a hard field to get into do you mean it's hard to get hired on at big companies, or it's hard to get a job period?
>>
>>17332069
not OP but I really needed this, thanks anon
>>
What the fuck. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT start with Visual Basic. It is the worst possible language to learn on. If you do, you will never become a good programmer. You will always create shitty code and not understand the basics of good design.

VB lets you do things that you shouldn't. If you learn on VB, then you will need to unlearn all the bad ways to do things you learned. I'm a professional programmer, and unfortunately have worked with such people. Their work is always garbage.
>>
>>17333347
>Visual Basic
I lol'd over that too.
>>
>>17333347
what the fuck do you start with then
in my retarded uni we used code blocks
it's cancer
>>
>>17329168
Python is the best language to learn as a beginner.
>>
>>17333427
Languages like Python and Java are good for both beginner and advanced programmers. With Python being the easier one.
>>
>>17333446
I mean the program that you learn that in,
all I know is
C# - visual basic
C++ code blocks
Java - Chrome
I know how cringy that sounds
help
>>
>>17333452
As mentioned many times, Python is good for learning. It forces you to do things in a structured way, and you can write simple programs quickly without needing to fight the language.
>>
File: 1400532034904.jpg (1MB, 897x861px) Image search: [Google]
1400532034904.jpg
1MB, 897x861px
>>17333461
are you fucking retarded, faggot?
>>
>>17329168
>What are the best programming languages to learn?
The BEST? That's difficult to say. They're geared toward different things. I would say that at a minimum, one should probably know C, one of C++/Java/C#/Objective-C/Swift, JavaScript, one of Perl/Python/PHP/Ruby, one of the Lisp/Scheme family, and one of the UNIX shells.

Yes, I just said that six languages were the minimum. Good ancilarry languages include AWK, Tcl/Tk, assembly language for at least one architecture, Lua, and MIX/MMIX (whoch you will probably never use unless you're doing the exercises in Don Knuth's "The Art of Computer Programming", but being able to read and write the stuff in that series is Too Damn Useful).

>Which one should I learn first?
This is easier. Python if you want to start from the high end, C if you want to start from the low end. I recommend starting from the high end, so Python it is.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.