[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New job at small College

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

File: teacher-resume.jpg (29KB, 615x300px) Image search: [Google]
teacher-resume.jpg
29KB, 615x300px
Hey /adv/ I was just recently hired as an instructor for a small web design class. I haven't met the class yet, I start Wednesday, but I've just been anxious cause I feel like they won't like me / pay attention / give a shit etc... Any words od encouragement /adv/?
>>
File: 10623120.jpg (53KB, 680x510px) Image search: [Google]
10623120.jpg
53KB, 680x510px
I have been a high school English teacher for four years. Although I do think that high school and college are very different beasts, I will try to give you some advice based on my experiences.

>Being liked

I used to worry about this my first year, but since then I've gotten over it. Your students will invariably like you if you are: Fair, respectful, well prepared, knowledgeable, answer questions, and keep lines of communication open. As a teacher I try to be myself and connect with the students, but I know that the most important thing is that they respect me. I always come in well prepared, I update the gradebook every week, I believe my lesson is important every single day, and the students respond well to it.

>paying attention/giving a shit

This is where college gets the leg up, they are paying to be there! They wouldn't be in your class if they didn't have an interest in the topic or think that it was important to them. While some gen ed classes are probably about getting through it, web design doesn't seem like general education. You have a group that is interested in what you teach, you'll be fine. Constrastly, most of my students don't love English; it's my job to try to keep them interested,

My final spiel: You are the expert on this topic, the students want to learn from you! Bring passion and energy with you every day and you'll be a smashing success. Also realize your first year is a learning year for you too, some lessons wont work, your timetable will be off sometimes, that's okay! Literally every teacher learns a tone from year one to year two.

Good luck, you'll do awesome!
>>
>>17321652
thanks man, that helped me out
>>
>>17321652
Just came here to second this.

You are not teaching high school loosers. This is college. They paid good money to be there and they know it. If they don't feel like paying attention they won't even show up.
>>
>>17321616
Professor writing here.

Since it's not a required course (like freshman composition or American history), you can assume that most of the students have chosen of their own free will to be there, because they want to learn what you have to teach.

Keep that in mind - they want to learn - and your only real anxieties will be two:

1. Am I giving them their money's worth? Am I giving information/skills that will be useful to them?
2. Am I being a good teacher? Is what I say clear?
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.