[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Miserable Career

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: ratrace.jpg (22KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
ratrace.jpg
22KB, 620x413px
Has anyone here taken a pay cut to work on something you're more interested in? Was it worth it?
I am absolutely miserable in my job. I hate every second of it. But I am making way more money here than I could earn anywhere else. I am starting to think the income doesn't compensate for the massive hit to my daily happiness.
>>
how long have you been working?
>>
>>17281353
Yes.

Your daily happiness and content will easily make up for the missing cash. Think about it, you spend half your day at work. What good is having money to spend during your other half of your day if you already hate most of your day? you'll still be stressed and pissed.
>>
>>17281353
Depends on how much of a pay cut and whether or not you need the money. If you are making a whole lot, if you can deal with the misery for a few years, you can potentially set yourself up so you don't have to work for the rest of your life.

I'm self-employed and don't really make too much money, but then again I also don't work all that much, tend to only take jobs that interest me, and I have very little need for money. In part I got myself to this situation because I spent three years working 16 hour days at jobs that paid a ton. The payoff was worth it to me.

But if you're simply miserable at a job that's not going to give you quick security for life, it's just another average middle class job except on the higher end of the pay scale, the misery probably isn't worth it.

One thing I have found though is that even shitty jobs can be ok if you like the people you work with. (Conversely, if you hate the people you work with, the job can be ok if the work is interesting. If both are bad, you should get the fuck out.)
>>
Your career is likely to change multiple times anyway.

>work like a slave for 15 years
>save enough cash to quit, travel, take classes, etc.
>finances change, not really qualified to do anything now

Consider that everything does have consequences.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.