[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ibuprofen & Alcohol

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: IMAG1248.jpg (967KB, 1552x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1248.jpg
967KB, 1552x2592px
Hello. My doctor has me taking 9 ibuprofen a day (3 at each meal) for a back injury I sustained at work. Can I have a couple beers after work? There seems to be mixed opinions online. Any medical professionals here?
>>
>mixed answers

No m8, you cant. You're just reading it incorrectly. You can't drive k and take iburpophen on a schedule like you are.
>>
>>17279168

Pharmaceutical Chemist here. No you can't have a couple of drinks after work. Just water. Unless you want your stomach lining to absolutely disintegrate and you enjoy the prospect of shitting blood. Also, liver issues will definitely occur and you will be more impaired than you normally would from the drinks. Generally an all-around poor choice to drink when taking that high of an NSAID dosage.
>>
>>17279168
Absolutely not. Taking a single ibuprofen and then drinking later isn't the worst thing in the world as long as you don't make a habit of it (I mean, it's not great, but you're not gonna die), but you absolutely cannot drink when you're taking 3 ibuprofen with each meal, like, at all.

Be sensible. Heal first. Beer will still exist later.
>>
>>17279168
ask your doctor...
>>
>>17279362
Thanks. I figured someone in medicine or a related field would eventually respond.

The dosage seems high to me (I very rarely take any meds). Any insight on that? Or, how long it's safe to take 9/day?

Thanks again.
>>
Pharmacist here. It depends. Do you have any medical conditions? It's not going to kill you if you're normal but it might give you bad stomach upset. What dose are you taking 3 times a day?
>>
>>17279435
No medical conditions. Doctor didn't give me a prescription and the paperwork doesn't say specifically. I'm taking the 200 mg/otc generic ibuprofen. I did get a prescription for cyclobenzaprine (5mg) to take before bed.
>>
>>17279402
>I figured someone in medicine or a related field would eventually respond.

You did?
>>
>>17279402

>>17279402

The dosage is higher than what I'd usually take, but Ibuprofen is known for its low liver damage profile and I imagine your doctor wouldn't prescribe harmful dosages. Any medicine you take is going to go through your liver and put some form of strain on it, but honestly, I think the alcohol you normally drink would damage your liver more than the course of your Ibuprofen prescription.

I tried to find info on ibuprofen liver toxicity and found a study I linked below (it's a PDF). Just ctrl + f ibuprofen and you'll find a small section on it.

"Traversa et al[23] in their cohort study that recruited
thousands of patients receiving various NSAIDs confirmed
that ibuprofen has a very low liver toxicity rate"

The study doesn't go into exact doses, but I think it's safe to say you'll be fine as long as you're not relying on ibuprofen in the long term.

http://www.wjgnet.com/esps/DownLoadFile.aspx?Type=Digital&SubType=1&DOI=10.3748%2Fwjg.v16.i45.5651&FilePath=Pub%5C10.3748%5Cv16%5Ci45%5CWJG-16-5651.pdf

>>17279494
>doctor didn't give me a prescription

Did he say how long to take it for?
>>
File: 1439480218279.png (152KB, 438x420px) Image search: [Google]
1439480218279.png
152KB, 438x420px
>>17279496
For sure. Many smart/educated anons frequent 4chinz.
>>
>>17279507
Thanks. I appreciate the information.

I go back next Monday to check in with the doctor and see if there's any improvement. I've only been on this dosage since yesterday, so I'm not overly concerned yet. They're treating this as a muscle inflammation which is affecting my nerves (have had some extreme pain in my lower left leg). I hope they're correct and it's not a spinal issue.

Thanks again.
>>
>>17279168
The combination is hard on your stomach lining more than anything. It's not super hepatoxic (bad for the liver) like acetaminophen and alcohol, but you're already putting a lot of wear on your digestive system; it'd be pretty bad to start eroding it with alcohol on top. GI bleeding is no joke.

>>17279402
Ibuprofen has a very wide therapeutic index (range between the dosage that helps and the dosage that kills, basically), and clinical doses can be a lot higher than the labels on the OTC bottles suggest.

The real danger is to your kidneys, but if you're on a medically supervised dosage over a temporary period they'll be okay. But, chronic overuse of ibuprofen is one of the leading causes of kidney failure so don't get in the habit of taking this much unless a doctor tells you to.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.