[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Emotional numbness

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1463219326039.png (493KB, 1238x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1463219326039.png
493KB, 1238x1080px
For a few years now I can't really experience any emotions other than the occasional anger or satisfaction. I don't remember being happy, enthusiastic or sad in a long time and I can't really connect with other people.

When my grandma who raised me for a few years died I was bothered only by the fact that I have to travel to her town and attend the funeral. Someone there even asked me how I can be so detached at the funeral. Even if I imagine one of my friends or parents dying I can only see myself being bothered by the implications and not by their actual death. I also am not interested in meeting new people or even spending too much time with my friends. I only go out once every 2 weeks or so and I spend most of my free time in solitude. This also means I haven't have a girlfriend or even sex since I was a teenager because I lost almost all my interest in these things, I'm fine with masturbating once a couple of days.

According to google this may be a sign of depression, but I really don't feel depressed. I actually feel quite good about life overall, but I can't say I'm exactly happy and I feel like I'm missing out on something. When I was a child and even as a teenager (I'm 23 now) I was very emotional, I was the kind of kid who cried at a sad movie or story and I would let anything affect me, be it positive or negative. I kind of miss being so happy and enthusiastic for little reason, even though some things are much better now.

So has anyone experienced this? Any guesses as to what the cause might be? Can it be reversed?
>>
>Can it be reversed?

Why would you do that? You can think completely clearly now without distractions.

Either you have a rollercoaster of emotions or you have a steady level of contentedness at best. I'd rather have the latter.
>>
Let's all love Lain.
>>
I managed to get married though despite having snake-like levels of feelings. I can appreciate physical comforts at least.

Sex is not really happening admittedly.
>>
I have schizoid personality disorder and you just described me. I was even misdiagnosed with depression at first.
>>
>>17263966
depression isnt feeling 'sad', it's feeling how you're feeling.
>>
>>17264131
>You can think completely clearly now without distractions.
For what purpose? To what end? How can I fully enjoy life without emotion?

>>17264147
I'll look into it
>>
>>17264161
Look at animals around your house when you go outside. Do they ask themselves these questions?

Just existing free of physical pain should be enough. Learn to be zen.
>>
File: 1463623621330.gif (1MB, 250x141px) Image search: [Google]
1463623621330.gif
1MB, 250x141px
>>17264170
>why are you worried about not being able to feel your feet? sure it's been a week but do animals ask themselves about that?
>you nicked yourself and the blood won't clot, who cares? animals don't worry about that stuff.
>>
>>17264157
It's not how I'm feeling. Out of all the symptoms of depression the only one that applies to me is lack of interest in other people. And the emotional dullness, if you can see that as a symptom, but according to what I've read depression intensifies negative feelings rather than dulling them.
I can't identify anything else, nothing physical, nothing emotional (obviously), nothing behavioral(other than going out very rarely).
>>
>>17264170
I'd like to think myself a little deeper in thought than the animals around my house, but I see your point. It may be true that I don't have an actual issue, I just want something else.
>>
>>17264185
Not having a dopamine rush every 5 minutes is not going to endanger your life
>>
>>17263966
I have the exact same issue as you, OP.

...I can't really help. I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone in feeling this way, wishing for something more and being unable to find it.
>>
>>17264161
Schizoidfag again.
Live authentically. We all have to fake social cues for work/school, and you're probably going to have a shittier time of it than most (more so if you're female and expected to be emotional), but don't try to force yourself to feel social urges and attachments that aren't there. It doesn't work.

Find the few things that make you feel satisfied and enjoy them as much as you can.

I have to go, but good luck.

>>17264225
A serious lack of emotions and social desires isn't normal. There's nothing wrong with noticing it and being worried. Have you been outside? Social skills are very important and valued in this society. You're an idiot.
>>
>>17264236
>Social skills are very important and valued in this society. You're an idiot.

I'm married and make 3x the average person in wages

I'm good.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.