[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I like to watch my boyfriend stream games. We live about two

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 4

File: meinclass.png (254KB, 635x354px) Image search: [Google]
meinclass.png
254KB, 635x354px
I like to watch my boyfriend stream games. We live about two hours by bus away from each other and work a lot, so it's a good way to spend time with him remotely. Some of the guys he plays with are absolute dickholes, though, because they casually use the word "rape" to describe things that definitely aren't rape. It makes me feel sick to hear it.

"Oh guys we totally raped the other team"
"They couldn't stop the rape train" etc

I haven't been raped before but I have had men shout that they would rape me to intimidate me in public. It's fucking terrifying. I've had guys follow me downtown late at night. It's not okay. On top of that an actual, undeniable rapist just got off on a one month sentence bc of a sympathetic judge. Like, rape isn't some abstract concept, it's something women have to be at least distantly aware/frightened of all the fucking time. It's something horrible that can happen to you and odds are 9/10 that the guy will get away with it.

My boyfriend told me he's aware of how fucked up it is but he isn't saying anything to the douchebags. My thing is, if he says nothing, he's tacitly endorsing the behavior. If I urge him to do something, though, I'm arguably some harpy demanding he act like PC Principal.

For tonight I just decided to stop watching his stream but long term I know he's gonna be sad if I stop watching him. What do? And no, "Get over it" is not an option, really think about your position as a defender of using the word rape to make people feel shitty
>>
>>17260164
It's gamer slang. It's thoughtless, stupid, and immature, but they aren't actually trying to be malicious.

Take it from a guy who was initially very uncomfortable hearing the phrase - these guys are usually huge nerds who couldn't bring themselves to actually hurt someone else.

It doesn't make the use of the word ok by any means, but they are not actually using the word in a way with intent - it's like a replacement for the word "owned" or "powned" or many other words nerdy people tend to use to describe a devastating event in a competitive game.

I can totally understand your choice to stop watching, but maybe you can suggest that your bf uses a different word a lot and see if it rubs off on his friends.
>>
>>17260207
Yeah, he said he would talk to his good friends - the regulars - about it. But I don't think it's fair for him to constantly have this discussion with randos during pub matches either. But it's also hard to watch. Urgh. I might only watch when he plays single player, sad as that is.
>>
He won't achieve anything meaningful by telling them to not use that word.
Even if he convinces some of them, he will inevitably stumble on other players who also use it.

However there must be ways that he could mute the chat so that you only listen what he says.
>>
>And no, "Get over it" is not an option, really think about your position as a defender of using the word rape to make people feel shitty

Well then, you have forced an immovable object against an unstoppable force.

You're his girlfriend, his friends have absolutely zero interest in catering to your opinions so nothing is going to change their behavior, your boyfriend can't do anything about it either. You're being unreasonable, and I hope that you don't come up with a stupid conclusion that "He chose his rape enabling friends over me" when he eventually grows tired of your entitled attitude.

You can't stop people saying what they want to say, free speech works both ways.
>>
>"Get over it" is not an option, really think about your position as a defender of using the word rape to make people feel shitty

People say a lot of things on a daily basis to make others feel shitty. Why can't you champion those causes too? Some battles just aren't worth fighting.
>>
>>17260164
Too much whining. Make a tl;dr next time.
>>
>>17260164
There is no bad intentions here. It's not like they speak in public either. They can talk however they want. Like the other anon said you are being unreasonable.
>>
>>17260228
"People shouldn't spew the word 'rape' lightly because it reminds people of times that men have threatened to rape them and it forces them to recall the fear and dread"

"What an entitled attitude"

Are you fuckin shitting me m80
If anything these gamer bros are the entitled ones bc they act like flaming garbage bags and they throw a fit if anyone challenges their awful terminology
>>
>>17260253

I'm not going to reply serious to this, but good job sparking a 200+ reply thread with your stupid short-sighted post.

No one owes you the sympathy of treating you differently to everybody else, except friends and family.
>>
>>17260253
Gamers are douchebags and use aggresive vocabulary. Asking douchebags to stop being douchebags is like asking thieves to stop being thieves.

You may as well slam your head against a wall, at least you will get tired of slaming your head from the pain.
>>
People still get upset on the Internet? If you have ever played videogames online you should have a thick enough skin to handle the flaming or banter. It has nothing to do with enabling rapists. It isn't even meant in that sense.
>>
>>17260274
That's not true. I have intentionally pruned phrases and words at my gf's request (not that I used rape as a phrase in the first place). I don't play much competitively though, so it's easier for me.
>>
>>17260284
It's different when it's your girlfriend asking. Someone else's girlfriend? What do you have to gain by appeasing them?
>>
>>17260277
I didn't say shit about "enabling rapists" but gg
I said that the expressions they use - which could easily tweaked into something less aggressively distasteful - make me feel sick, they're gonna make most women and rape survivors feel sick, and that silently sitting there (like my boyfriend does) is basically approving the behavior
>>
Do you tell people at a football game not to shout and scream as well so you can watch the game on tv without being reminded off you parents shouting at you for spilling your milk?
>>
>>17260285
I get that, but the point is gamers can change what they say. Just responding to a blanket statement that was incorrect - gamers can and will change given a decent incentive (although I kinda agree with the thieves part.)
>>
>>17260285
"Appeasing" what about learning to be less of a shithead

Or, y'know, growing a sense of social awareness and the sense that games are a public sphere where the shit you say is heard by other people

And that it can affect them in bad ways (so don't be an offensive trash hobgoblin)
>>
>>17260287

>could easily tweaked into something less aggressively distasteful

They have no reason to, other than because it upsets you, which is not their concern.

>silently sitting there (like my boyfriend does) is basically approving the behavior

He has no right to stop them either

You have no leverage on the subject, that's why you're bothering your boyfriend about it, and not his friendly directly.
>>
>>17260287
Do you get that upset about everything? Its part of the span currently used in online games. And while I find it a bit childish it isn't even the worst you get to hear when you participate in those games. Grow a thicker skin and just be glad that your boyfriend is considerate enough to not use it.
>>
>>17260293
Do you get triggered by seeing the word rape on 4chan too? Games are anonymous too so I don't see how that would be any different.
>>
>>17260289
Should have said that with your last post, man. Just the anecdote isn't compelling.

>>17260293
Shithead is subjective. And promoting the idea that we should not say things because others don't like it is not conducive to society.
>>
>>17260288
I imagine that if football players ran around yelling that they were gonna rape each other, they would get flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct

Bc football players are actually held accountable for screaming and acting like hooting hollerin scumbags
>>
My god you are a cunt. How can your boyfriend stay with you when he has to be careful not to offend your poor little PC heart?
>>
>>17260304

Jep, and people enjoying a game don't, tough luck.

Gaming is a outlet for many people, some time for themself where they don't have to care about anything and just enjoy their pass time in anyway they see fit.

If their way is not what you enjoy than leave.
>>
>>17260311
>some time for themself where they don't have to care about anything and just enjoy

Gee, sure would suck if people tainted those Good Times by bringing up something as serious and horrifying as rape constantly

Whether you fucks like it or not, gaming is now a public sphere and the shit you say affects other people. Your conduct matters, it influences how people think of gaming/gamers as a whole. Just like you wouldn't go to a crowded cafe and talk about the way you totally raped your last midterm, maybe you shouldn't talk about raping people when strangers can overhear you in /other/ public contexts. Because we are trying to have a society here.
>>
>>17260315

No one is forcing you to listen to my conversation, hell you can even mute/block me. You're making problems where there are non.
>>
>>17260307
Thats a bit unfair - being offended by a word has nothing to do with political correctness. It has everything to do with your personal experiences and morals.

Someone in the world might be incredibly offended by the word "banana". We can't just tell them not to be offended, since they must have a good reason to be offended. That doesn't make it a PC thing, it doesn't even make it a rational thing, it's just a word that might offend someone.

Rape is a fairly offensive word to a lot of people though, so while avoiding the word banana online to appease one person you might never encounter is a dumb move, avoiding the word rape isn't exactly hard. Hell, it wouldn't be worth avoiding it at all if it wasn't tied to a traumatic event. So say fuck and shit as much as you want.
>>
>>17260323
I can't mute/block people over a stream. I might consider asking my boyfriend to mute people who can't pretend to be considerate for one miserable second of their lives though
>>
I don't see what the problem is, angry feminists and other dumbasses have already devauled the meaning of the word to almost nothing. "stare rape" "space rape" "mental rape" "i-really-regret-fucking-this-low-social-standing-guy-so-ill-say-he-raped-me-rape" etc etc. The word means nothing anymore.
>>
>this is what happens when women invade male dominated hobbies
>>
>>17260334

You mean like how you are considerate of their freedom of speach?
>>
File: 50314_288865372137_2985807_n.jpg (12KB, 200x219px) Image search: [Google]
50314_288865372137_2985807_n.jpg
12KB, 200x219px
>>17260164
T R I G G E R E D
>>
>>17260344
>male dominated hobby
http://www.wired.co.uk/article/women-are-gamers-too
>>
File: free_speech.png (52KB, 566x577px) Image search: [Google]
free_speech.png
52KB, 566x577px
>>17260351
>>
Get over yourself, it's a fucking word and it isn't even remotely being used by its actual definition. It's like getting offended over someone calling something 'gay' - you're just a fucking asshole
>>
>>17260359

You do understand that this relates just as much to OP as to the people they complain about right?

The majority simply dictates the social rules they handle, and it would seem OP is outnumberd
>>
>>17260365
So you agree, constantly bringing up rape is just as bad as homophobia
>>
>>17260368
To be fair, I rarely hear people use the word gay in a pejorative way anymore. Gay has many other meanings now (happy, that/this sucks, etc.) I can't even remember the last time someone used "gay" to attack a gay person - it's just a label now.

Similarly, "fag" has also been corrupted and is rarely used as an attack word against gay people. Even saying "you are a fag" seems more like a factual statement when the person is homosexual (especially over the Internet) and the only time I see people using fag as an attack word is when someone is being an annoying little bitch about things ("stop being such a fag").

It's like how in Australia people call their good friends "cunts" - it was originally a disgusting slur word for a vagina, and is now a slur word against bitchy women, yet people use the term regularly to refer to their friends.

Rape, on the other hand, is almost always something negative and is used in an offensive manner, which is why it is not really an acceptable thing to say in public a lot.

Words are only as powerful as the social meaning behind them. Tomorrow some tragedy might occur that makes a new revolting curseword a social stigma (think 9/11 for the sort of horrible event that can give words power) and that would be expected to happen - horrible events often get tied to words. Which, again, is why rape and murder are very negative words, and why gay now isn't (since a lot of the stigma around homosexual and LGBT in general has evaporated over the years.)
>>
How long has 4chan been infested with these pussies for? I feel like I leave for a few months and when it come back it just gets worse.
>>
>>17260164
I'm not sure as to why, but it just seems to be the norm for online gaming. It's really common, and yet you don't see it anyhwere else. When my boss wants me to sell something to a client I don't turn round to him like "the guys from the hospital will be here at four, don't worry though I'm going to rape them". I don't really like the term myself, plus the healer on my arena team is female and she goes full on REEEEEEEEEEE mode if someone mentions it.

I once went on a bit of a crusade and decided to report everyone I saw using rape references and/or the word "faggot". It took all of seven minuites before I got kicked off the server and banned for 24 hours for opening too many tickets.
>>
>>17260164
You should not focus on the meaning you know, but on what they might mean when they say it.
>>
Wahhhwahhh! Someone said a word I don't like so everyone should cater to MY needs! Get fucked cunt. Nice bait.
>>
He is a streamer, Right?
Let him ask his gamer Friends to stop using certain phrases, since 'some of his viewers' took offence to them.
>>
>>17260354
>implying mobile games like candy crush count is actual games.

>>17260164
op you sound like a party pooper
>>
>>17260164
>And no, "Get over it" is not an option, really think about your position as a defender of using the word rape to make people feel shitty
Get the fuck over it you whiny cunt. You're seriously getting upset over low-level nerd banter. People like you are the reason no one can have fun anymore and everyone has to walk on eggshells. You are the reason no one likes having girls around.
>>
>>17260164
He doesn't have to force his friends to cater to you. If my boyfriend asked me to make my female friends to stop calling everyone bitch and saying disgusting period shit I'd tell him to fuck off, just like he should tell me to fuck off if I told him he has to make his friends stop saying faggot or slag.

If it truly makes you that uncomfortable, turn off the stream.
>>
>>17260407
Welcome to summer, bucko! It'll only get worse as time flows.

Up next:
3PM: The "muh lover did something/tfw no SO halp pls"
4PM:"how do i get swag and be sooper osom to muh frenz?"
5PM: Ultra gay Ultra friendly Super Turbo Suicidal Power Hour featuring OP
6PM: The evening news
Everything beyond: graveyard shift
>>
>>17260420
Serves you right.
>>
>>17260210
The word "kill" is often used in a similar way. No one actually believes they would be killed over a game.
>>
I hope this is bait
>>
>>17261108
Me too.
>>
>>17260164
get over it.
>>
>>17260164

You do know that rape isn't only a sexual thing, right? Get off you're high horse you prissy princess. Words have multiple meanings.
>>
Im a girl that has been sexual molested and i dont think its offensive at all. Its just gamer slang, like any other slang out there. You need to worry about serious stuff and not stupid stuff.
Example: transgender needing to use the bathroom cause of the gender they "think" they are. Thats worrying about something stupid and fighting for a stupid cause.
>>
>>17260164
stop watching and if he brings it up explain why. you're not gonna change his friends but you may be able to change his stream. DESU they shouldn't be saying shit like that on a stream anyway.
>>
Goddamn OP you are a sensitive little cunt aren't you?

Get the fuck over yourself
>>
>>17260210
"Yeah, guys? You're gonna have to tune it down, my gf can't handle the bantz."
>>
>>17261121

>You do know that rape isn't only a sexual thing, right? Get off you're high horse you prissy princess. Words have multiple meanings.

I'm not siding with OP on this one but rape definitely only has one meaning, bruh.
>>
>>17260253

YOU DON'T GET TO TELL PEOPLE WHAT TO SAY. IT'S IRRELEVANT WHETHER OR NOT THEY'RE "RIGHT." You are the one who chose to intrude and listen in on their leisure time. If you don't like it, stop doing so.

That's all there is to this conversation
>>
>>17260287
I'm a women and you're fucking crazy. Nothing happens when you're offended. Gonna be a tough life for you if you can't handle WORDS
>>
>9/10 men will get away with raping women.

Please elaborate, I didn't realize it was a unpunishable crime.
>>
>>17260241
I second this.
>>
>>17260164
Rape has other meanings too, read definition 3:

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/rape

That is the definition gamers use when they use that word in trash talk.
>>
File: sticker,375x360.u1.png (110KB, 375x360px) Image search: [Google]
sticker,375x360.u1.png
110KB, 375x360px
I have a friend that was raped that makes rape jokes.

I have a gay friend that makes more gay jokes than everyone in my social circle.

My jewish roomate even pokes fun at himself and that whole zionist conspiracy thing.

How awful it must be to filter your already limp and substanceless thoughts.

Like stirring the bubbles out of a diet coke.

How about you keep saying what you want over there and they keep saying what they want over there?

Nobody likes a yoko ono.

You're not fighting for equality, you're being annoying and starting imaginary battles in your head.
>>
>>17260164
Just stop raping your self with this and get along.

Don't let your inhibitions rape your relationship.
>>
>>17260164
>If I urge him to do something, though, I'm arguably some harpy demanding he act like PC Principal
You're creating a problem for yourself by being offended by trivial comments on the internet.
What else is there to understand about the situation?

Either get off the internet and those offensive comments, or stop being offended whenever someone speaks the word rape.
>>
>>17260164
Sticks and stones.
>>
What does your gender has to do with it? Yes, women are victims of rape but it doesn't actually mean anything. Anybody can be raped. Men are more statistically likely to be victims of violence but you don't hear them say
>"you can't make a joke/metaphor about wanting to punch your boss in the nose, it really affects me as a man!"

It sounds absurd and yet it's exactly what you are saying. These people are talking about the general concept of rape and you are emotionally reacting as if it was about you. If they are throwing around the word rape around themselves, especially in a context where it is targeting it at OTHER MEN, aren't they showing a lack of respect toward male victims of rape? That would be the logical conclusion to make. You show a severe lack of judgment when you raise a point about female victims of rape when people are making jokes involving male victims of rape. It shows you are emotionally compromised on the subject. It shows that it is pointless to tackle the subject with you in any sort of reasonable conversation. You will be treated like a baby because it's the way you behave.

This is why people will not take you seriously. You need to be aware of it. When you are able to form natural response of outrage toward rape which includes every victim, and not victims that look like you, then people will agree to take your feelings seriously. However by that point you might realize that some of your feelings are not justified at all.
>>
Victim complex OP
>>
>>17260164
>and odds are 9/10 that the guy will get away with it.

hhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahhHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAH
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.