[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Online friends - are they closer to strangers or friends?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 1

Online friends - are they closer to strangers or friends?
>>
>>17243132
I had an an online friend that I knew for 8 years (who I met in an online game) that, imo, was closer to me than any of my real life friends. He passed away last year.
>>
>>17243132
I've hung out with people that I had met online before. They were friends of friends in the area but it was like we had known each other all along when we hung out the first time.
I think online friends are more friend than stranger for sure.
Is it the same as a real life friendship? Not exactly
>>
>>17243138
Sorry to hear
Did you meet him irl before?
>>
>>17243142
>Is it the same as a real life friendship? Not exactly
Why not? At least it is easier to confirm that they are who they really are.
>>
Eh, I've had touch and go friendships online but nothing that has ever really lasted more than a few months.
>>
>>17243148
It can certainly develop into a real life friendship, but the first couple times you hang out with someone you met online the interaction can be slightly awkward. I didn't mean you can never become real life friends with people you meant online
>>
>>17243153
>It can certainly develop into a real life friendship
Is this possible if you live in different countries very far away from each other though (i. e. more than 10 hours of flight distance)? Impossible to meet irl enough times for trust.
>>
>>17243144
Nope. He lived across the globe. We really clicked though. If there was soul mates for friends, he was the one. When we met he barely spoke any english ("pls stop kill me!" -- he'd say when we were playing) He basically taught himself english over the years by just speaking to me. Like 4 years after and his english was already way better than mine, and I'm American.

But yeah, I miss him.
>>
>>17243149
Well this is usual I guess. It is easy to lose contact with people youve met online.
>>
>>17243169
How do you know he wasn't catfishing you?
Where was he from?
>>
>>17243177
We're both dudes, I don't think dudes catfish each other. We used to skype all the time. He was Russian. CYYYKAAA
>>
>>17243188
And you 100% trust him? Some people said you never fully trust online friends.
>>
For what it's worth, a group of my "real" best friends have decided to hang out with a faggot ex-friend of mine who is being a petty son of a bitch that I can't be in the same room with instead of me, and my buddy that I've known for 15 years online is messaging me on Skype on a Friday night right now.

I have other friends I could go hang out with, it's not like I'm worthless, it's just, online friend is doing me a solid while I sit in the house and mope, and he knows me really well.
>>
>>17243197
I trusted him, yeah. He knew me 100% and I knew him 100%. It's not like we could fuck each other over somehow.
>>
I once had an online for several years who I met playing a MUD back when those were a thing. But we fell out of touch when he moved from AIM to another messaging client and never gave me his new screen name. I don't blame him either, looking back at how cringey and edgy I was as a teenager.

I also had a friend who was somewhat younger than me that I met through an RP group. We had a long, 8 year RP going together until recently. She began using tumblr pronouns and spouting almost constantly her hatred of cis straight white men. (Or any combination really.) Which I feel her tumblring was my fault since it happened soon after I came out to her as a transgender man. It was baffling and I promptly ended that friendship after that.

So I suppose I've been on both ends of the ending of an online friendship. And, personally, I'd rather like to avoid making them in the future.
>>
>>17243199

Forgot to mention - I've met him IRL, he's one of my best bros. Dude has a lock to my safe in case anything ever happens to me, and there's only two other people in my life with that privilege.
>>
>>17243202
Oh so you would be brave enoigh to go to his house alone if you guys met irl?
>>
>>17243207
How many times have you met him?
>>
>>17243209
Absolutely. Our friendship was very genuine. I'd love to meet him irl, but again, he's gone. I don't think he spent 8 years talking to me so I could go to his house and he could rape me or something.

We also made a clan in the game we used to play in, and we had some guys from Chile in there who ended up living pretty close to each other and they met up and posted photos in our forum. Everyone was just so nice.
>>
I really like this European girl I just started talking to. Normally I wouldn't even think about having a LDR but she is perfect. It's such a shitty situation, I kinda wish I had never met her, I just know this is gonna hurt us both
>>
>>17243132
I have one or two really good friends I can talk about almost anything with online, plus a few more casual but still good friends.

I don't think friendship should be limited to physical interactions, especially if there's no connection. I have a couple people I enjoy spending time with in "real life" too, but I don't get much out of being with people I'm not very close to and have no real connection with.

I think some people may or may not be better at communicating online. You always run the risk of projecting something you're not or developing premature and misguided expectations, but one of my good online friends I met in person and it felt completely natural after no real time at all. I've hit it off extremely well with a couple of women in online dating apps as well. Granted nothing came of either of those since I was an idiot who stopped talking to one of them, and the other one had to fly back to her home state very far away.
>>
Not OP but is it strange that I think of my male online friend in a brotherly way? Can I tell him how I think of him? I dont know if he thinks of me in a sisterly way.
>>
>>17243217
Very sorry to hear
>>17243220
I can understand - sorry to hear
>>17243230
The issue is that you do not know if they are catfishing you though.
>>
I tend to lose contact with people I have net online really quickly
>>
I have two online friends that I've known since 2010, we talk for atleast a few hours everyday over voip. They are the best friends Ive ever had. We met up for the first time this year and it was a fucking blast. IRL or Online, a friend is a friend.
>>
I SHADOW MARC I if you're reading this dude I miss you. We had MW3 on lock bro. Not sure what happened to you but I hope all is well
>>
>>17243510
How many times have you met them irl?
>>
I have three really good online friends.
One is a girl I met 12 years ago.
We don't talk every day as we used to, but at least once or twice a week we text. She is the first person who ever understood me and loved me for me. I met her a dozen times, spent holidays with her. Yesterday it was my birthday and she wrote me the most thoughtful message I've ever read.
The other one is a guy I met two years ago. We are a bit more superficial maybe, but we have the same sense of humour and we share interests. He is also very supportive and nice, and makes me feel really cared for. We met twice. I will go and stay at his place when he moves out, in a month.
Last one is a guy I met 8 months ago, on 4chan. If there is a version of soulmate for friends, he is that. He pretty much saved my life: talked me out of depression, out of every bad day, out of every stupid idea I've ever had. He supports me and loves me like no one else would. A lot of common interests, same sense of humour, too. We met twice and will meet again soon.

It's different than it is with IRL friends, but these guys are far from strangers for me.
>>
>>17243639
Do they live in the same area as you?
>>
I had an online friend when I was younger. Lost contact with him though
>>
>>17244000
Nope. The girl lives 700 km away from me, the guys live respectively 400 and 2500 km away from me.
>>
>>17244177
Not OP but is it strange that I think of my male online friend in a brotherly way? Can I tell him how I think of him? I dont know if he thinks of me in a sisterly way.
>>
>>17244273
Who cares about what is strange and what is okay?
It's your relationship with him, there's not really an etiquette. You can tell him whatever you want, you can tell him how you feel for him or not.
It depends on how comfortable you are.

I had a panic attack when one of the guys had a serious problem. I didn't even meet him in person at that point. I am sure some would think it's weird, but he means the world to me and I honestly don't care.
>>
>>17244288
Are you >>17243639
>>
>>17244302
Yeah.
>>
>>17243639
this is so super cute idk why but OMG
>>
>>17243217
this made me well up a little.

I'm glad you had each other for the time you did. Genuine friendship is to be cherished.
>>
my only online friend is someone i met on /adv/

I couldn't sleep, and he posted about killing himself, and not in a "LOOK AT ME BOOHOO" kinda way. I told him he was dumb and to just move with me to NYC and I'd pay for his life until he got settled. Better than offing yourself, right?

He's a good kid, and he's funny and nice. Nothing romantic, I'm glad I kept him around. He's doing better and not coming to NYC (that was a last ditch effort anyway). I'm moving in a week, and I told him he always has a spot on my couch if needed.
>>
>>17244318
I am just scared he will find that odd. Like how I think of him as brother-like
>>
>>17244410
It is a bit odd, but if you're comfortable enough with him to consider him a brother, why shouldn't you be comfortable enough to tell him so?

My best friend is like a sister for me, and I am so comfortable with her that sometimes I get embarrassed when I think of the things I do in front of her.
>>
>>17244427
>why shouldn't you be comfortable enough to tell him so
I don't know how he will react plus most people will agree it is odd (you included)
>My best friend is like a sister for me
the online one?
>>
>>17244437
>I don't know how he will react plus most people will agree it is odd (you included)
I doubt he will react badly.
It's what you feel. It is a bit odd for sure, but if that's the truth, telling him won't hurt anyone.
Be honest and upfront about your feelings. That's the best way to build a meaningful, deep friendship.

>the online one?
No, my best friend is a girl I know since I was 5. We went to elementary school together and have been very close since.

My online friend is a really good friend, tho. My friendship with her made me the person I am today. I was very insecure and introverted before meeting her, and she deeply changed that. She was the very first person I've been myself with, I never felt like I needed to hide her anything, and she loved me just for who I am.
>>
>>17244547
>My friendship with her made me the person I am today
Don't you sometimes think of her as sister-like?
>>
I know a girl mostly from chatting on facebook, but we met a few times. Didn't really say anything.

Really got on well online, within a few weeks she was calling me a close friend.

Went to hang out with her for the first time and it just felt so natural, like I had known her for years. Prolonged hugs, somewhat flirty behaviour. It was great.

So yeah, online friends can be friends but having that offline interaction definitely strengthens the bond.
>>
>>17244553
I think that the fact we have been distant for most of our life makes it hard to have that kind of relationship.
When I say that my best friend is like a sister, I mean it. Me and my best friend never went a day without talking since we were 5. We see each other 4 times a week, at least. I sit with her in the bathroom as she showers or pees. Sometimes she comes over and we literally sit on the couch and ignore each other. I held her hair while she was vomiting and all my fun stories begin with "my best friend and I". We cried together, we spent nights at the hospital together. If my car crashes at 4 AM she's the person I call to pick me up. We literally end each other sentences and laugh just looking at each other. We spent pretty much all our life together and we still live in symbiosis.

I mean - I don't love my online friend any less. I would do anything for her, I trust her 100% and she had a huge impact in my life. But it's not the same thing, and it can't really be, due to distance.
>>
I don't trust the internet... my knowledge of it made me paranoid :(
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.