[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Employment Decisions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 20150821_144945.jpg (539KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20150821_144945.jpg
539KB, 1920x1080px
Sup /adv/

I need some advice. I'm in the right place, right?

I'm 21 year old recent college grad trying to decide between two employment opportunities each with their own ups and downs. I'll go over them separately and then do a short comparison.

The first is a R&D Food Scientist position in a rural area a few hours from family. They've already given me a solid offer. $55K Salary, $4K Relocation, $5K Tuition Reimbursement, 2 Weeks Vacation, and a standard benefits package with 401K Match. I like the team, but the location is terrible and it's in the bakery side of the industry which I'm not very interested in. The cost of living is considerably low. The company is part of a larger conglomerate and financially solid. They don't see much employee turnover.

The second is for an R&D Nutrition Scientist position right on the beach. I'm more interested in the work and location of this one. The first interview went well and they're flying me out for a second interview. The salary range is $50K - $60K (I provided it), but the cost of living in that area is high (being a popular vacation spot). A comparable offer adjusted for cost of living would be around $65K considering they're only offering 1 week paid vacation (weird that they would mention that in the first interview). They recently went through Chapter 11 Bankruptcy and are in reorganization, so I'm concerned about their financial stability and maturity. I don't know yet if they'll be willing to give me a competitive offer, but I'll have to turn down the Food Scientist position before I receive a written offer (but after they tell me they'll extend one to me).

The Food Scientist position will undoubtedly be better for my career as it's more hands on and involves commercialization of new products. I'm convinced they're going to have the stronger offer with everything considered, but I'm more interested in the Nutrition Scientist position given the work and the location.
>>
>>17220346

Why is the Food Scientist position better for your career than the less interesting work?
>>
I think the first choice. Save money and you can buy home/car and vacation elsewhere. I live in an area where rent is high, I wouldn't like to spend a large of paycheck just to live. I'd like to do other things.
Also job security is important.
>>
>>17220363

"it's in the bakery side of the industry which I'm not very interested in". The Nutrition Scientist position is more research based and just interests me more than baking science.

"The Food Science position is undoubtedly better for my career as it's more hands on and involves commercialization of new product" - this is a highly desired and important aspect of R&D positions in the food manufacturing industry.
>>
>>17220377

Thanks for your input. I have considered this, especially considering I have amassed a lot of student loans. However, I'm also concerned that, in addition to not being very interested in the work, I wont enjoy where I live. No amount of money will fix that. And I'm still extremely young. I don't know if I want to commit to 3+ years in a location I don't like just for the experience and money.
>>
>>17220346
If you're not carrying a significant amount of debt, I would go for the job you're more interested in because it sounds like the quality of life positives greatly outweigh the negatives. You should continue to put feelers out for other employment though in case financial problems end that job.

If you're not in a position where you can afford to gamble, suck it up and take the safe option.
>>
>>17220379
I recommend you take neither job and castrate yourself or kill yourself to remove yourself from the gene pool. Quoting your own post and acting snippy to someone who isn't familiar with your specific industry, which includes most 4chan users, is rude.

Good luck in your future endeavors.
>>
>>17220404

I was just restating the relevant and elaborating in an effort to answer their questions. Sorry to offend you?
>>
>>17220414
Use greentext next time
>>
>>17220427

Will do.
>>
>>17220414
Don't worry about bullshit like >>17220404 too much. >>17220363 has obvious reading comprehension problems.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.