[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Want to leave the UK, but too scared to make the leap

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: ZANZUP.jpg (65KB, 532x576px) Image search: [Google]
ZANZUP.jpg
65KB, 532x576px
Going to post more info about this underneath because it's a tl;dr, but basically I can't see a happy future for myself in the UK and have always wanted to move abroad (to Canada, specifically). However, I'm scared to leave everyone I know behind and start completely anew in a country where I don't think I have any transferrable qualifications, especially as I still have student debt to pay off here.

Would appreciate any advice or experiences from anyone who has left family/friends and moved countries.
>>
>>17149577
>>>/trv/
>>
File: ZANZUP.jpg (65KB, 300x220px) Image search: [Google]
ZANZUP.jpg
65KB, 300x220px
Ok so I've always had this slight desire to leave the UK and move to Canada, mostly because of its natural beauty and vastness, but it was never anything serious. Then, in the last few years, I began to increasingly feel like a positive future in the UK was incredibly hard to get. House prices are already ridiculous and increasing all the time, and I'll be at least 30 (but probably older) by the time I can afford to get a mortgage. Immigration is increasing, and our natural land is being built on to accommodate the increasing population. I still have good career prospects (if I get onto my preferred training programme in the NHS then I stand to make £40-50k after a few years' experience), but I don't know what good that money would be.

Furthermore, I developed depression a few years after a breakup, and gradually lost nearly all of my friends. I still motivate myself to stay healthy, get good grades, and keep socially active, but the truth is I've completely lost interest in my life. I carry on with the things I do out of habit, but I don't really enjoy anything anymore. As things stand, here's how I see my life in the UK: a series of houseshares and being poor and single until I'm 30-35, then maybe settle down with a girlfriend and family once I'm earning a decent amount of money, but immediately losing all money to pay for said girlfriend/family.
>>
File: ZANZUP.jpg (65KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
ZANZUP.jpg
65KB, 300x200px
>>17149596
So I'm starting to seriously consider moving abroad. I spent a few months in Canada and it was everything I wanted it to be- stunningly beautiful, very friendly people, and young people actually seemed hopeful about the future (although this was before the oil crash, so maybe it's different now). However, if I did go through with a move abroad, I'd have to commit to it completely. That would mean putting an ocean between me and my family, who were the only source of support during my depression (although they don't know about it). It would mean wasting all the time/money I've spent on qualifications here, because I'd have to start completely fresh there. It might potentially mean more years of being poor and uncertain, which is exactly what I want to avoid. I'm worried that I've just got 'grass is always greener' syndrome, and I'll have the same problems in Canada and even less support and money. But at the same time I feel like this could be the best time to go, because I'm still young (23) and have no real ties keeping me here.

So what do you think? Should I just go for it? Or should I spend the next decade or so waiting it out in the UK, building up money and qualifications, before deciding if I still want to go ahead with a move?
>>
>>17149590
I wasn't sure if it would be more suitable here or there - /trv/ seems to be more for holidays and gap-years, whereas I'm talking about a permanent move. But if there aren't many people here who can help then maybe I'll try again there, thanks.
>>
File: mansion.jpg (84KB, 632x569px) Image search: [Google]
mansion.jpg
84KB, 632x569px
>>17149596
> I began to increasingly feel like a positive future in the UK was incredibly hard to get. House prices are already ridiculous and increasing all the time, and I'll be at least 30 (but probably older) by the time I can afford to get a mortgage

Aren't you aware about Canadian real estate bubble?
>>
>>17149698
I know prices are high in Vancouver and maybe Toronto, but I thought they were fairly reasonable elsewhere. Is that not the case?
>>
>>17149596
>>17149601
Hey OP,
I have the exact same thing but regarding moving to the UK (Scotland more precisely), I understand all of what you said. I was scared for the longest time that I wanted to move simply out of being depressed and I figured that if I was depressed already here, better be depressed somewhere else and at least have a couple of stories to tell if I ever come back with my tail between my legs.

Anyhow, don't move permanently without having ever visited on holiday. I recommend having a holiday alone and reaching out to people, you'll immediately get a feel of how nice and welcoming they are. Travelling alone will give you a better idea of how life would be like there than travelling with a friend. Try to talk to people of your profession or related, ask around what are the professional organisations where you can look for jobs, or how they recruit there. Visit some real estate websites there. Calculate how much taxes you would be paying, what your lifestyle would mean as far as work goes etc. Have a good solid plan before you make the jump.

Then, as far as making the jump, don't consider this the one thing you can't fuck up at all etc. It's something you're trying. It's going to be difficult knowing nobody at first but you will, at the very least, discover more about what is truly important for you.
>>
>>17149577

>>tfw moving away from london to toronto

kek

London is literally europe's NYC. Why would you move out from there?
>>
>>17150303
I'm not in London, although I could probably move there as it seems that ~90% of new jobs are there. It's what lots of my uni friends did post-graduation. I can't think of anything worse though - you pay stupidly high rent to share a small flat with 5 or 6 other 'young professionals'. You make more money, but spend more money because all prices are hugely inflated (e.g. a pint in London is usually twice the price of a pint outside London). And the only privilege you're paying for is living in this massive multicultural nightmare where everyone is suspicious of each other.

People in the UK either love London or hate it - I'm in the latter. It's fun to visit for a weekend to check out the history/culture, but I could never enjoy living there. Curious to hear why people do enjoy it, though I'm sure they have their reasons.
>>
>>17150348
>And the only privilege you're paying for is living in this massive multicultural nightmare where everyone is suspicious of each other.

No. We are united against outsiders and tourists.
>>
>>17149577
Honestly Op, you should go to Kazakhstan or Mongolia and live off the herd animals there. Or if you can stand the heat, you could join the Tuaregs in the Sahara.
>>
>>17149577

>are you cute?
>do you like mario kart?
>will you let me rub your feet?
>will you be okay with homo erotic tension but no actual sex

if so you can crash on my couch in la for awhile to see how you like living abroad. worst case scenario, you move back.
>>
>>17150551
Everyone knows London is pretty much the least friendly area of the UK. If you pass a stranger on the street and say "Good morning" they'd look at you like you were mentally ill or trying to rob them.

>>17150597
Why? Just because I like the great outdoors it doesn't mean I want to go full nomad.

>>17150627
>no
>no
>no
>no

(sorry)
>>
File: 1459980508403.jpg (67KB, 500x442px) Image search: [Google]
1459980508403.jpg
67KB, 500x442px
>>17149577
From Wales and I went to live in Spain. I was gutted to have to leave, and I've had a job offer and will be going back in August.
Go for it OP, remember that nothing will be forcing you to stay if you dont like it there.
>>
>>17150202
>>17150813

I should say that I don't have a job offer in Canada (or anywhere else) or anything like that - I don't even know if I'd be able to emigrate. At this stage it's just a desire to leave. But if I did, it might mean just saving up a few thousand pounds, buying a plane ticket, and looking for whatever job I can get once I get there. I'm not sure that's a good option, seeing as I still have good career prospects here.
>>
>>17150659
>Why? Just because I like the great outdoors it doesn't mean I want to go full nomad.

Just go somewhere extremely poor for a month and then return to where you live, you'll be thankful for it.

You just come across as burnt out or taking your life for granted.
>>
>>17149577
I left England last summer for the Netherlands, and I extremely recommend moving to a different country for an at least temporary period of time. Even if you hate it, you will learn a lot.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.