[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would I fuck myself over if I got a CS degree?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 1449193559544.jpg (11KB, 251x231px) Image search: [Google]
1449193559544.jpg
11KB, 251x231px
Would I fuck myself over if I got a CS degree?
>>
Are you interested in CS?
>>
>>17133876

Yes
>>
Money is good but you're going to be fucking miserable, according to my CS friends.

I was gonna do CS too but did Environmental Science instead, now I'm a park ranger in a national park and I just drive around in a jeep with the cool wind in my hair and giving people warnings, $60k a year. Couldn't imagine sitting in a chair for 8 hours straight busting my head.
>>
>>17133881
then get a CS degree.

it's not really a terrible degree.
>>
>>17133881
then you're not fucking yourself over.
>>
>>17133872

Depends on whether you're stupid. Are you stupid?
>>
>>17133884

Miserble? Why? IMO being sedentry is fine, can definitely handle 8 hours a day on the computer.
>>
>>17133884
>>17133897
>different strokes for different folks
>>
>>17133897
8 hours of work? I mean you're not gonna be doing work all those 8 hours, but you're still gonna be expected to do it

I can spend up to like 16 hours on my computer but 3 hours of work and I already want to kill myself
>>
>>17133884
Dude, can I get advice on how to do this? Working outdoors like that sounds like a dream come true. I'm studying bio, but my favorite parts are all the ecology components rather than the medical/microbio/physiology stuff.

How did you get involved in a program like that, and how difficult was it for you to get your job with your degree?
>>
>>17133897
big difference between being on a computer for 8 hours and starring at code for 8 hours.
>>
>>17133872
Market is way over-saturated in some areas. Might be fucked if you can't stand out with certs.
>>
>>17133884
Nice I was going to go do CS too, but then I switched to bio
>>
check out some alternatives like electrical engineering or mathematics unless you want to be a code monkey.
>>
>>17133872
>Is degree X bad?
No. What looks bad is not networking and not doing internships. Hell, even being involved in volunteer work is better than someone with a random meme degree and no experience.

Jesus, high schools get worse and worse with the college meme.
>>
>>17133872
Better to have a well paid job and be miserable than no job witb a meme degree like neuroscience

Spoiler, I'm the neuroscience grad. Probably drowning myself at the end of the summer
>>
>>17135110

Seems like a fun four years though. There has to be something you can do with your degree, even if its unrelated.
>>
>>17133872
If you don't like to interact with others, than CS is the perfect degree.
>>
Ordinarily, I tell people not to follow their passion intl the workplace, if they can avoid it. Keep it as a hobby, because your passion is the one thing you'll make time for even when work threatens to overwhelm everything else. This keeps you from falling into the trap of doing only one thing, which is how you prevent burnout. Ideally, you want a job that is as different from your passion as possible, while still being something you can enjoy: this lets each of them recharge you for the othrt

But there are some passions that cannot realistically be followed EXCEPT in the workplace. Often this is because of regulatory restrictions (e.g. medicine, law) or logistical problems that prevent it from working well outside standard business hours (e.g. teaching). In this case, follow your passion, but be doubly careful about maintaining ubrelated hobbies.

Why did I bring all that up? Because right now, CS is in a third category: degrees you should not pursue UNLESS they are your passion. The competitiveness of the job market is simply too high to do otherwise, as is the threat of outsourcing. If you want to be safe, you have to be able to demonstrate that you aren't just a grunt, and you need passion to do that. You need to be even more careful about your hobbies, though, because the burnout rate is almost as ridiculous as the competition.

And all that leads to my question for OP: is CS your passion? Not computers, not coding, but CS itself? If so, then major in it, and go with the blessing of a random stranger on an anonymous Internet forum. If not, find something else.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.