[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guilt About Interests

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 0914IL_IN_BIG_01-web.jpg (89KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
0914IL_IN_BIG_01-web.jpg
89KB, 1280x720px
>19 F
How do I stop feeling so guilty about having interests?
So I have depression and generalized anxiety. Been getting treatment, so things are okay. For as long as I can remember I've felt guilty about being interested in anything. Like if I'm not spending all my time doing responsible things then I'm just a worthless piece of trash.

It doesn't help that I have a brother, who harasses me about everything from my interest in art down the the music I listen to. Don't think of it as endearing either. He's a grown ass man living at home, who got three of our cats killed and gets into fist fights with our dad for asking him to do chores, but I've already talked about that here.

It's gotten to point where I can't do anything that interests me, especial if my brother is around. Every time I get an inkling of a drive to play a game, listen to music, or make something I get this overwhelming guilt and don't do it.
it's getting out of hand /adv/. I'm on edge all the time because I'm not doing things to blow off steam.
>>
You feel guilt because of that psychopathic manchild? Cut that shit out, he's not worth the brain problems.
>>
>>17112339
I know! That's the ridiculous thing. He's just a self-absorbed protein sipping stoner. Yet I still end up taking his insecure projections to heart. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I grew up with it? If he was just some random douche bag I'll never have to speak to again, it would be different, I'm sure.
>>
>>17112367

So when you start to feel guilty, say 'I'm not going to let that dickbag that everyone knows is a loser dictate how I live my life', and then stop feeling guilty.
>>
File: image.jpg (77KB, 480x637px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77KB, 480x637px
Convince your parents to kick his ass out. With that done, come back to us and see how you have improved or not. I think that could be a major part of your problem.

Getting him kicked out is a win-win-win, although for your brother the win will come in time. Getting reality thrown in his face will hopefully bring him down
>>
>>17112367
>>17112334
you said it yourself anon. the reason he's saying those things is because he's insecure about his own interests and feels the need to put others down to feel better. Every time you get that feeling try and repeat that over and over.

also you shouldn't feel bad about what someone, who kills cats, thinks.
>>
>>17112436
oh yeah they want to, but he gave them the ultimatum of "unless you call the cops, i'm not going anywhere" and of course my parents don't want to ruin his life that way.

my therapist totally agrees that he needs to get a rough reality check and if that means he has to go to jail for a bit then so be it.
>>
File: image.jpg (88KB, 710x293px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88KB, 710x293px
>>17112464
The thing about jail is that it can either help you or throw you into a life of crime so I'd be careful there. Although if he physically assaults people and recklessly endangers animals to the point they actually die it may be the best option
>>
>>17112464

Yikes. It seems your parents got stuck with a demon child. The best you can do is live your life happily and do what you enjoy. It genuinely upsets me that you feel reservations about doing so because of such a useless and pathetic creature. I hope you can get past this
>>
>>17112425
>>17112437
"I'm not going to let that dickbag that everyone knows is a loser dictate how I live my life"
"he's just projecting his insecurities onto me to feel better about himself"
"I shouldn't feel bad about what someone, who kills cats, thinks"

those are good sentiments. i'll keep them in mind.

So one of the most difficult things to do is listen to music. Like he'll play his music on full blast, but if I start quietly listening to the music I like, he'll start mocking it, "I don't like normal music. i think i'm better than every one else, so i'll listen to my ching chong ling long shit."
which is ridiculous since I listen to both popular music and foreign music equally. So what if it's not Ed Sheeran or the Beasty Boys? Why should he care? I know, I know. This the dumbest thing you can imagine.
>>
>>17112539

Yeah, seems like he's trying to bully you out of things you like. Honestly, as mentioned before, he's a pretty horrible person so who gives a shit what his opinion on ANYTHING really is? You on the other hand seem very nice and reasonable. So don't feel bad, fight the power, etc
>>
>>17112471
that's the thing. my therapist says if they let him continue with this behavior it's only going to get worse, and I agree. among the other things he's done, he's already assaulted me and punched holes in the walls, but I've gotten reprimanded by my dad for trying to report it before.
I really need to stand my ground. I've already made a choice that if he assaults me again that i'm calling the cops. any chance for a relationship with this guy is gone.
>>
>>17112472
that's true. i think going to therapy is going to help with that a lot. i just have to remember that i'm not going to deal with him forever.

>>17112544
yeah i just need to gain the strength to ignore it. and thank you, that was very sweet of you!
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.