[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Take a Linux class or try to teach myself

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: linux_and_windows[1].jpg (99KB, 1200x794px) Image search: [Google]
linux_and_windows[1].jpg
99KB, 1200x794px
>Engineering Major, working on AS right now
>Going into robotics
>Considering a computer science AS before I transfer for my bachelor

That being said, I want a strong background in computer science. I have some experience with Linux and can do some things here and there but I want to be proficient in it.

My college offers a course on Linux/Unix, though the class wont count towards my degree, should I buckle down and take the class next fall semester or focus on my required classes and hopefully learn Linux on my own down the road?
>>
don't worry about learning linux unless you want to be a sysadmin or a systems dev

what is your end game
>>
Just install Linux on your computer and use it.
>>
>>17110811
Don't even worry about it for that.
Become familiar and comfortable with it by using it as a daily OS, but 95% of businesses utilize windows for their servers because of cheap technet subscriptions.
>>
>>17110811
My plan is to get my bachelor in robotics (my college is the sister college to a UC with a robotics program), minor in programming and hopefully work with NASA
>>
>>17110824
Awesome point, thanks
>>
>>17110825
>and hopefully work with NASA
go into a top 10 program and always stay motivated
>>
File: Linux.jpg (13KB, 778x369px) Image search: [Google]
Linux.jpg
13KB, 778x369px
>>17110803
I started with windows but got sick of it after XP when it started going down hill. Switched to mac, but its too restrictive and is tailored for the hipster starbucks fucks, so I tried Ubuntu. It's a pretty natural place to start just to get the hang of it, that or Mint. Most of it is the same visual interface, but you can do a lot more with the terminal if you want to. There are thousands of forums and youtube videos to help you fix any problem or try new programs. I am currently using Linux Mint with the Cinnamon desktop interface and I love it. I've used Linux as my daily driver for about a year now. Just try it and play around on it, see what you think.
>>
Grab a cheap laptop on craigslist, throw Ubuntu, Mint, or Fedora on it and go to town.
>>
Just learn it yourself.

Download VirtualBox and set up a VM running Ubuntu.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.