[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Becoming a Nurse

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: male-nurse1_400x400.jpg (23KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
male-nurse1_400x400.jpg
23KB, 400x400px
Thinking of becoming a nurse, would it be looked down on or seen as underachieving since it's more of a professional school and I didn't go for med school? Mostly people who barely made it out of high school apply of it.

I already have a university diploma, but in a different field. All of my family take a dim view at this sudden choice of changing careers. Anyone here who is a nurse could tell more about how it is? I'm thinking of working in a laboratory or some psychiatric ward.
>>
Think real fucking hard about it OP. A nurse is a not just a job. A million people apply but few get to retire from nursing. Why? Because if you don't actually want to be a nurse, you will end up absolutely hating the job and anything related to nursing. I'm 24, ex nurse and I'm looking into alternatives. Ill start fresh next year.
>>
>>16998628
>will end up absolutely hating the job and anything related

Isn't that the case with most of the jobs? The demanding ones at least and which you get into without liking anything about it...

Is nursing so bad? Especially as a 20-something. I'm too old for med school nor do I have the brains for it anymore.
What alternatives are you looking into?
>>
>>16998643
Nursing is bad because if you're not ok with 15hr shifts that are high stress and shit everywhere you should probably not do nursing.
>>
>>16998643
It's absolutely NOT the case with every job, because as a nurse you are exposed to high stress, you won't ever be respected, it's a rather thankless, stressful job and the pay is too low to justify doing it. The only good nurses are people who genuinely dedicate themselves to the job, which is why there's few good nurses. Most are frustrated 40-something years old moms with no alternative. The few guy-nurses I know all hate the job because if its social dynamics.
Don't do it.

I'm looking into computer shit. I still don't know what to do which is why I'll sit tight and comfy for a year, think real hard about my decisions.
>>
>>16998616
Nursing today is a highly trained profession, with nurses doing more and more of what doctors used to do.
>>
>>16998628
>>16998775
Both is true, i was in nursing school for 3 years, saw multipe working environments, both as an intern and as a cna. Eventually i got fed up with it and switched over to do a technical/medical bachelor study, will get my diploma at 27, i hope my life isn't fucked
>>
>>16998616
I did nursing for 2 years and experienced multple working environments. I got ged up with it and switched over to a degree in bears.
>>
>>16998616
I've been nursing for five years and can tell you that it really isn't a career you can settle into easily.
It is a high-stress, low-pay (as in you don't get paid enough to be shat on, bitten, punched, kicked, touch dead people ect) job but you are afforded a level of respect by the community and there are "rewarding" days.
The nurses that do spend decades in the industry and end up retiring are usually hard (not so much nasty, but strict, hard-to-like) people or have job-hopped from different fields because they got bored.
If you can't keep a reassuring smile on your face while an elderly person vomits into your mouth or you struggle to be close proximity to people (I've seen so many people leave within hours of their first training day when they realised they'd have to wash testicles and wasn't about taking temperatures and handing out tea and biscuits and declared that they didn't "like touching people, ew!").
I would suggest to try working in medical administration (though all medical admin staff think they're practically doctors/hot shit when really, they're glorified nail technicians and terrible gossips who need to realise they handle confidential patient information.
Get into sonography/radiography/graphy of pretty much any kind. Good pay, always work.
Or do Registered Nursing and study the extra three years to become a Clinical Nurse because they make some good money and don't have to touch icky things as often.
It really depends on you, OP, but don't stay as an assistant nurse or Registered nurse for long. Your body gets damaged too quickly (I don't know any nurses who don't have bad knees, backs or wrists after two years on the job including myself) and it wears you out. You'll be a cynical, frustrated and disillusioned person. But you'll learn a lot about yourself. It's been eye-opening.
>>
>>16998616
How about a physician assistant program?
>>
Spooked OP here who would like to avoid dealing with too many elderly, I thought the pay was good for nurses, generally speaking.

Are the anons who posted here from the US? I live in Europe and have heard about good pay in nursing. I'd like to work in the UK or Norway.

Can I be a nurse anesthetist? Doesn't sound like much of a hassle and also heard the pay is fairly good. In fact, I have no idea about this system and all the programs available and which one is more profitable, as they may differ slightly from country to country, that's why I'm asking. I'm all new to this. But in my country the name for when you finish the school is 'general medical assistant', is this the same as clinical nurse? I think what I'm looking for may be what this anon here suggested v

>>16999101
This sounds actually good. Is this some some post high school / undergraduate school (may be confusing them)?
>>
Nursing is a quick degree (2 years) and it pays around $30 an hour plus a shit ton of overtime available. But the worst people are now becoming nurses because it's easy money.
>>
Not all nursing is as crazy as people are saying OP. When I started up I was working 12 hour shifts day or night. Alot of clinics have normal hours though. Now I have my masters and I work 8 hours a day and have evenings. off with my wife. You do see some stressful shit, and it's alot of work but it honestly depends on where you're working. Nursing is the broadest of any medical field so there's tons of options, just as one anon said, think really fucking hard before you do it.
>>
A lot of nurses I know are either fat and dumb or med school rejects
>>
>>16999365
What are you talking about..?

Registered nurse is a 4 year program
Licensed practical nurse is a 2 year program.

The latter pays $30 an hour maximum after years of seniority. And there is no shortage of them. One job offer will get 300-400 applications online. I know this because i worked in HR

Also it's not easy to find a full time nursing job. Most are part time. You're almost guaranteed to be working at two different places.

Night shifts, lack of sleep, high stress, touching anuses and penises, wiping asses are all typical of a nursing job.

There are better ways to go OP.

Although if you're dead set on this, I would suggest getting the 4 year RN program and doing your practical placements at a plastic surgery clinic. Work in plastic surgery, it's probably the highest paying and least stressful field of nursing. Also high amount of applicants though. Good luck
>>
>>16999387
Are you a CNO? What does the masters afford you over say an NP?

I I'm looking to get R.N. Then work up from there to CNO or perhaps running a concierge medicine clinic.

To get in the business higher up end of nursing is it all politics?
>>
>>16998616
I would say it should not be snubbed just because it's a two year program. This country has serious fucked values, if it thinks something is lesser because it doesn't meet a certain criteria.

Nursing your going to see some serious shit, that may fuck you up. Try cna training and if you can handle that maybe you can be a nurse. Good luck.

As far as pay I think ca maybe the highest, other states I think are really lagging with compensation, especially the south.
>>
>>16999770
Don't know what a CNO is. Here in canada, the CNO is college of nurses of Ontario, and a master's degree makes me a nurse practitioner.

And I wouldn't know about the business part of nursing as I still work in patient care in a children's hospital, sorry OP.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.