[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Going to Japan with girlfriend, wtf do I need to know

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: tumblr_no4zjyYlVC1r09c0uo1_500.gif (863KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_no4zjyYlVC1r09c0uo1_500.gif
863KB, 480x360px
Girlfriend is half Japanese.
Been dating her for a little over a year. Her mom is a travel agent and hooked me up with a deal to visit her family.

Problem is I don't speak a lick of Japanese and my gf has told me about how Japan has a lot of odd social norms compared to the west.

What the fuck do I do so I don't look like a sperg. We're going to Nagoya and then Tokyo.

Give me the things I should know about Nagoya and Tokyo and whar I should look out for. Also how far can I get speaking only English and French before I have to use my girlfriend to baby sit me.

Also how is weed looked at in Japan out of curiousty?
>>
Oh yeah I should mention that her family speaks english well (Dad's from Melbourne like me)
>>
>>16979950

>so i dont look like a sperg

doesnt matter, they are all strangers you will literally never see again, save for her family I mean. But she will be there to baby sit you anyways so its not a big deal.

becuase you are white they either automatically hate or adore you. very little you do or say will change that impression.

>how far can you get wiht only english. as long as you keep track of what direction you are going (though mapping apps might make this even easier) you can get pretty far. its tokyo, english is most everyones second language, as it is taught in schools, and not to the shitty degree spanish is taught in american schools.

even in okinawa (really fucking small japanese island) you can get by without knowing any real japanese.

>odd social norms

most of these wont be noticed. things like 'its rude to walk while also drinking a drink' come to mind. taking off shoes is a popular one. but for the most part people are too glued to their cell phone sthere to really notice anything around them. you'll get a little attention cuz you are white though.

>weed

dunno google 'japanese marijuana laws' but im guessing its not a big thing there. alcohol fucks you up there easy cuz they dont metabolise it right, so they dont really need weed
>>
>>16979963

Sweet dude, yeah my gf has no idea about the weed thing. She smokes with her dad so she has a different perspective on it. I'm going to buy her old man some craft brewery, probably can't go wrong with that, no?

Other question, how pricey are things in Japan compared to Australia/America, trying to plan a budget for a week.
>>
>>16979975

when i was in okinawa, 1 dollar was worth 117 yen. the daily exchange rate varied daily as the 'daily' implied, but that doesnt really tell you how much something will actually cost.

just know that MANY stores are open for bartering, nothing wal mart or corporate looking, but unlike america a large majority of shops are still local owned, and they really dont mind bartering. my brother wanted a zelda manga he found there but put it back since it was.. you know, japanese. and the lady came up and said 7 dollars (initially 8). then 6... then 5... stopped at 4. she didnt realize we just genuinely had no use for it.

as for gift, idk, some countries have laws and rules about importing foods and drinks, so you might wanna check with your airline if its legal to bring your brew with you. im really unsure. i mean they dont let closed water bottles in, so idk how good beer will fare. but as a present, it should work.

enjoy the trip though and dont worry about being a sperg, its really no big deal, especially with a melbourne father in law to show you the ropes.
>>
>>16979986

Dope! Really appreciate it man. My gf told me horror stories of her friends having uncomfortable experiences on trains and bars not letting them in for not being Japanese looking, but this mostly happened in Nagoya. Also not much of a weaboo so that probably helps?

Sounds like I got nothing to worry about.

Cheers mate!
>>
>>16979950
how's the sex?
>>
>>16980007

I'm a simple man. I just like good blow jobs. She provides.
>>
>>16980006

that might be a thing. my experience was incredibly welcoming, though okinawa has a strong military presence so must be used to it by now. though even the class that flew in from osaka was REALLY into me. they were there for a class trip and they all just circled around me in awe. shit was cash.

stick with ur gf and her dad and you'll be fine. worst case scenario, one place doesnt let you in. but its nothing to freak out about.
>>
>>16980019

Haha that sounds odd to say the least. I just want to hit the pubs with her dad at least once and then see some concerts I really want to (Tame Impala is playing when I'm there hnnnnghhh)
>>
>>16980030

you should be fine in tokyo in particular cuz that would be the palce they get the most whities. it sounds like fun man, im jelly wont lie. have fun.
>>
>>16979950

I live in japan OP, you got nothing to worry about.

You're both foreign so the social norms won't be expected of you.
You can get by on very little Japanese, and they appreciate it if you try. But honestly in the cities there's enough english to go around that you'll have little issues

Just respect the place, don't treat it like your country so if shit sometimes doesn't work out you don't go full foreigner and start a cold war.

You'll be fine
>>
>>16979950
>>>/trv/
>>
>>16979950
In anime they act like marijuana is a drug that can kill you. What does that tell you?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.