[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Successful life after DUI / drug misdemeanor / felony

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: pussy.png (557KB, 686x438px) Image search: [Google]
pussy.png
557KB, 686x438px
I am not getting a felony but I might get the other two. Either way, have misdemeanor arrests on my record now. They are first offenses so I'm not going to jail or anything

Who has had gone up against an issue like this and managed to actually come out successful on the other side?

In a year I will have a social science master's degree. Prior to this I thought about working after school, but now with a record I doubt anyone will hire me, so I will go straight to doing a PhD. So, in 4-5 years I will be on the job market with a 4~ year old DUI/possession charge. How fucked am I?
>>
God, colleges are so gay. I bet you're one of those normies that would throw your friend under a bus for a degree and then try to pay him back for it, then become poor two months later and try to file a lawsuit for the money back
>>
>>16942112

I do not know what you're talking about

do you have a successful career after being charged with a DUI / drug minor misdemeanor / felony or any combination of the three?!
>>
>>16942128
Thousands of people do. Your life in not over. A felony could bite you in the ass but you said you weren't even being charged with a felony so dont even worry about it.

Your criminal record would really only affect you depending on your career choice. One example: If you drive truck a DUI/DWI would screw you.

You will be fine.
>>
>>16942241
ultimately I would like to be in business for myself. I think that is every man's goal.

in the meantime/as a back up plan I would like to be a college professor or work at s university/college in some capacity.

I wouldn't mind teaching or working with kids (working with troubled kids is very satisfying) but these charges could preclude me from this kind of work
>>
>>16942090
Not American. I have many drug-related crimes to my name, narcotic offences, substance abuse and smuggling charges etc.

I've also spent time in mental institution and diagnosed with a mental illness.

My boss never checked my background. I even work for the government so they would have very easy access to my data, including my mental health records. None of my coworkers know about my past nor has anyone hinted anything that sort of in the past 5 years working there.

I've always put this on my part because I tend to be extremely formal when I'm in any professional environment.
>>
>>16942592

Where do you live? I am certainly considering leaving the USA for my PhD or after it
>>
bbbbbump
>>
>>16942090
>but now with a record I doubt anyone will hire me,
sorry, but i think your degree would be the bigger problem here
>>
>>16942807

hey man, i'm cool with that! i would rather that be holding me back than the criminal record (if that makes sense)

I am trying to gain some quantitative skills while I am in school still that will hopefully make me more competitive for employment when that time comes
>>
>>bump
>>
File: 1453724383752.jpg (18KB, 259x200px) Image search: [Google]
1453724383752.jpg
18KB, 259x200px
Jesus, would you stop posting this thread?! You've been answered a half a dozen times. Go get shot robbing a liquor store you dipshit.
>>
>>16942807
This.

Only felonies, and theft, matter when it comes to employment.

You realize how many people have DUIs and minor drug charges?

Your degree is what is going to cause you trouble, kek.
>>
>>16943451

lol!

>>16943450

I find this hard to believe! but thank you nonetheless!
>>
>>16942090

One of my best friends got a DUI while in graduate school for social psychology. He was, like you, very concerned about the impact he would have on a future career.

Fast forward several years and he has a PhD, is getting published, and for as young as he is his prospects are looking really good. I wouldn't worry about it myself. Just keep working hard.

Unless you're doing something where a rigorous background check is in order (working with kids, getting a security clearance) I wouldn't sweat it.
>>
>>16942332
>I wouldn't mind teaching or working with kids (working with troubled kids is very satisfying) but these charges could preclude me from this kind of work

I'm the clinical director for a small therapeutic high school. I oversee several other Licensed Clinical Psychologists and have been in charge of hiring the last few times we've had turnover. At my previous position I hired MA/MS level clinicians. I've given interviews to people with old arrest records or misdemeanor convictions IF they otherwise looked like good candidates for the job. I also pull the arrest records and ask a lot of questions during the interview. If you got busted because of bad luck you have nothing to worry about. If your arrest suggests bad judgement, though, I'll end the interview.

None of us are perfect, but I can't afford stupid or careless in my building.
>>
>>16943465

That's good to hear.... this is one of the first replies I've seen from someone whose situation is very similar to mine. I haven't published or anything yet, but this legal situation has been a wake up call that I need to take that stuff more seriously. Getting into a PhD program is the easy part, the after part is what's worrying, so it's good to hear that your friend's prospects are looking good.

>>16943466

well, I appreciate that stance man.

there is a line between stupidity and back luck. I got pulled over (expired plates) and had marijuana in the car. I blew a 0.00 (I was totally sober) but will probably end up with a DUI for marijuana being in my system. there is a possession/paraphernalia charge as well, but I did hire a good lawyer and he expects those to go away.

Regardless of one's stance on pot, I take full responsibility for being dumb enough to have expired plates and weed in the car. No excuses there. It's a blend of immaturity, stupidity, and bad luck. I hate that the stigma of a being a dangerous drunk driver is now attached to me, but it's what I get.

Would my story get me axed from a position if I interviewed with you?
>>
>>16943524
>Would my story get me axed from a position if I interviewed with you?

Honestly, its the expired plates getting you busted that concerns me. It shows a lack of forethought bordering on arrogance. Your other materials and the time that has passed might help you complete the interview, but without a letter of rec really talking up your responsibility, thoughtfulness, and attention to detail I can't say you'd be high on the list.
>>
>>16943537

Again, fair.

I had the plates with me in the car and immediately presented them to the officer (not that this makes a difference), but you are absolutely right, it does reflect a level of arrogance and lack of forethought that was present in other areas in my life.

It feels like this incident woke up me from sleepwalking through life. It's a shame that it took a criminal record for that to happen.

But thank you for this comment. I will make sure that in my work/studies I maintain and improve my reputation for trustworthiness, discipline, and shit like that.

Also, I know for graduate/PhD programs, the background check is performed after you've been accepted to the school and offered a position. Is this the same for most private employers? I have not come across anyone getting a PhD acceptance pulled over a DUI/drug misdemeanor, but I have for private companies.

Thanks again.
>>
>>16943569
I run background checks before I offer interviews, but that has a lot to do with where I'm working, that I'm able to get checks essentially for free, and because I've been bitten in the ass before.

I once extended an offer to someone only to find out they had a Forcible Sodomy conviction like a day and a half before training was supposed to start. I take three months for me to fill a position usually and I had 36 hours.
>>
>>16943587
*It takes three months for me....

This is what I get for multitasking.
>>
>>16943587

I see

hopefully my plan of getting paid to keep going to school for another 4-5 years will put enough time between this incident and me being on the actual job market that it is less of a factor. sucks to know I shot myself in the foot for life, though
>>
bump i want to get judged more
>>
goodnight bump
>>
holy fuck guys cmon

someone tell me it's not a big deal or my life is fucked
>>
>>16942090
Misdemeanors go away after 3-4 years.
Got work at a big name missile defense company 8 months after plea. I had to turn one company down and the second rejected me but it's possible friend. Stay positive and work whatever jobs (crap ones) for cash flow while time passes. Also, I was in the service when it happened and they worked with me cause of my good rep. Just do things right and things will turn out right.

Good luck anon
>>
>>16944966

ahhhh thanks man
>>
bump for drunks and druggies
>>
bamp
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.