[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why would anyone learn a language that is not rarely spoken in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

File: welcome.jpg (22KB, 570x377px) Image search: [Google]
welcome.jpg
22KB, 570x377px
You're not going to be fluent in that language anyway, simply because you have no one to practice with. Sure, you can talk to people online or talk to people you kept in touch with after a trip aboard, but really, how often do you talk to these people? Once per month? That is not enough to prevent your language skills from degrading. How many of them do you actually keep in touch with a few years down the track? Soon you will not have any "friends" who speak the language that you are learning.

People think that knowing a language will lead to more job opportunities, but really, most immigrants in a country can speak the local language even if they are not that fluent. Chances are they will be better at your language than you at their language simply because you don't live in a country where that language is spoken. Also, companies will pick an employee with the best characteristics for working in a branch aboard rather than just looking at your language abilities. The reason why everyone thinks of Americans as monolingual is because almost all the expats working aboard cannot speak the local language fluently!

And really, it is not that useful for travelling as well. Not everyone speaks English, but chances are you will eventually stumble across an English speaker. Also, it is impossible to learn the language of every country you want to travel to. It is impractical. You might as well use Google Translate to translate what you want to say.
>>
>>16933896
btw the subject of my post should be "rarely spoken" NOT "not rarely spoken". That was a typo.
>>
I'm gonna learn Ebonics. That should improve my job prospects.
>>
>>16933908
Well that is still English.
>>
>>16933896
brandon pls went and stay went
>>
I learned Danish because my girlfriend's family is from there. I know Danes speak near perfect English but it became apparent to me when I was there that no matter how good their English is , it is a fucking annoyance for them to speak it. I felt bad when they all had to speak English for me and halfway through a dinner they would say something in Danish and laugh and then say "sorry" and translate for me (at that point it was no longer funny)

so yeah, I'd say the only reason to learn a shitty small language is for family reasons.
>>
>>16933896

I liked learning latin because I think it helped me better understand languages in general.

I think I'm gonna learn al japones because I want to consume all dat incest trap hentai that isn't translated
>>
I'm learning Italian out of interest in the language and languages in general. I'm hoping to eventually reach a level where I can read Italian books and whatnot.

It's a sad thing if you only pursue subjects that you think serve a strong practical purpose and/or will improve your job prospects.
>>
>>16934000
>strong practical purpose
Why the fuck will you learn anything with no practical purpose though? It is fucking useless.
>>
>>16933896
MODS Ban this OP He has repeatedly been warned against posting the same question daily.
>>
>>16934013
My question makes perfect sense though.
>>
>>16934011
Out of interest. For the pleasure of it alone. The more you know, the richer your life is.
>>
>>16934034
Learning something you never use is a waste of time. Also, your Italian skills will just degrade over time. Please tell me how your Italian skills will not degrade if you never use it.
>>
>>16934046
I guess I was using "practical purpose" wrong. I'm hoping to keep using it to read, watch italian tv, etc.
>>
>>16934072
You can just read and watch translated stuff.
>>
>>16934095
Not everything I want to read in Italian has been translated. I'd also rather read something in the author's words than filtered through a translator. I do read translations already though and part of my motivation to learn Italian was the idea that I could read the originals.
>>
>>16934072
italian tv is not that good bro
>>
>>16934112
I like the Montelbano series and I bet there's good cookery stuff. I'm much more interested in books, essays and the like than TV though (Umberto Eco, Italo Calvino, Primo Levi, etc.), just I was worried about coming off as a snob or something.
>>
>>16934013
Agreed. And question every day and nothing you say will change his mind.

OP, if you're too ignorant to see the benefit of learning something just for the sake of learning, then I can't help you.
>>
>>16934270
>benefit of learning something just for the sake of learning
Geez, the time can be spent on doing something more useful
>>
Because I wanted to get out of my country as soon as possible (UK-> Japan)
>>
>>16934465
I'm leaving out the exceptions of weebs here.
>>
>>16934467
I did coincidentally get a better job than I would have back home in the process

But yeah it's pointless if you're just going to stay in your village
>>
Because learning a language is a useful skill to have for jobs that most likely pay more. You say people will already know the local language for jobs, yes, but by being bi lingual or multi lingual, your chances increase at getting BETTER jobs with higher pay. Airports/flight jobs are an example of this, as new flight attendants get paid about 26 an hour WITH per diem. Even just working as ground staff at an airport with another language is a bonus, as you do get discounts and such.
Learning a language at an earlier age will help you learn it faster, but it is a good way to work your brain and keep it sharp at any age. It helps you learn other things faster as well

It's not useless, you're looking at it in a negative way.
>>
STOP REPLYING TO BRANDON THREADS
>>
>>16933896
Study Latin in case you ever visit Latin America.
>>
>>16934703
Lol nobody speaks Latin anymore.
>>
>>16933896
Holy shit is that you all-jobs-except-high-paying-jobs-are-usesless-never-have-fun-in-life fag? My god it's been so long. I'm so proud you went over a month without making the same thread!

Unless you were just banned.
>>
>>16934011
>Why the fuck will you learn anything with no practical purpose though? It is fucking useless

...he said while browsing 4chan.
>>
go away Brandon
>>
>>16934720
that was the fucking joke m8
>>
FUCK OFF BRANDON
>>
GO AWAY BRANDON
>>
>>16933896
You're just shitposting now.

/adv/ isn't for debates
>>
>>16934459
>says while shit posting on 4chan
op for fucks sake stop caring what anons waste their time on. It's their time to waste.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.