[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is wanting to be an illustrator an unrealistic goal?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

Is wanting to be an illustrator an unrealistic goal?
>>
post your best drawing and we'll tell you.
>>
>>16910484
I haven't drawn for years, I want to start up again and pursue it professionally.
>>
>>16910488
You better be very young or have a cushion job then
>>
>>16910489
I'm 23
>>
>>16910488
>I haven't drawn for years
>I'm 23

Very unrealistic. Sorry.

Starting from point zero you will need to draw for about 4 hours a day for the next 5 years to get to a level of ability where you MIGHT be able to do it professionally.

Drawing is hard, it takes years and years to get good at it and lots of dedication.

Have you heard the 10'000 hours rule? Where "they" say it takes 10'000 hours to master something? That apply s here.

(Im a guy who went to art school, I've been drawing for years. I wanted to be a graphic designer but its just too competitive. I make websites now.)
>>
Not if you keep your day job.
>>
>>16910491
Realistically, it's going to take you years to get good. On top of that to learn the tools of the trade (from pencil to digital etc) AND creating your own distinctive style (that will attract more clients that just any generic shit, if you're good), we're looking at a long road ahead of you.

It's a field with fierce competition. Like already mentioned, it's unrealistic. But like mentioned before, it's hard to tell when we have no clue of you current level.
>>
>>16910505
I used to draw for 8 hours a day when I was 16, mostly exercises like Loomis, Bridgeman, Vanderpoel, Speed etc

I have no idea what my abilities are now, but I could spend maybe 8-9 hours a day

So basically I could get to that level when I'm in my late twenties? Not too bad really
>>
>>16910517
Back when I used to post on conceptart.org people said I was progressing incredibly quickly, like something clicked

But I don't know.

I'm friends with professional fine artists and they can't draw for shit, but they still have buyers.
>>
>>16910519
>exercises like Loomis, Bridgeman, Vanderpoel, Speed etc

Ok, thats a better answer than I was expecting. It will still be really fucking hard though. There are lots of struggling artists out there.

If you enjoy drawing I don't see why you shouldn't give it a shot.
>>
>>16910523
>conceptart.org

lol why are you even posting this question on 4chan? Ask for advice there. I frequented that website a few years ago. The "daily" sketch groups and stuff were really cool.
>>
>>16910542
Conceptart.org is ded m8
>>
>>16910523
Fine art has a different target audience as far as buyers go. Seriously, just draw something and post. I mean illustration doesn't have a clear career path, some make it in their twenties and some go way past that. But it doesn't seem like you're sure at all that this is what you want to do, and you need to be passionate about it to be able to take the stress it comes with.
>>
>>16910548

Really? what happened?
>>
>>16910548
Oh no, what happened? There was a lot of drama back when I was on it but still
>>
Bump, what happened to CA?!
>>
>>16910683
>HURRRRR how do i into google

Are you fucking handicapped? Don't you have any fucking fingers or a keyboard?
>>
>>16910690
I googled, it's still there just not as active

But what happened to it
>>
>>16910505

Don't listed to this guy.

Yes you need to put a lot of effort and time in, but what people that want to be pro learn and what people that just like drawing learn are completely different.

If you want to be pro you hit the anatomy and perspective books and practice all the technical stuff first, nobody actually does this until they reach an age where they can mentally handle actually studying something for once in their life.

It's not about how much time you spend, it's what you spend it on.
>>
>>16910488
>I haven't drawn for years
Yes it's extremely unrealistic then, it would be hard enough if you were good at it and actually wanted to do it, both of which would be evidenced by you doing it regularly.
>>
>>16910505
Boolshiet

I'm a 18 yo art student, it's piss easy to get a good but not spectacular level in drawing.

OP, if you truly want to make your life into this then go for it. Ignore everybody else, read lot of art books/studies and draw/practise very often. Attend art class, there's no limit in age.

But know that illustrators often have a sidejob to have a decent life.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.