[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Difficult to bond with GF

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1456273098662.jpg (422KB, 797x748px) Image search: [Google]
1456273098662.jpg
422KB, 797x748px
So, my girlfriend is a volatile mix of some issues. Shes extremely insecure (and as a byproduct the definition of needy and openly admits she needs constant love and attention) and the most competitive person I have ever personally known.

The issues here are that sometimes I just want some alone time where I dont have to worry about catering to her every need. Instead of getting this time, I am forced to interact with her and it stops being something I enjoy and I am enthusiastic about, but becomes a chore and I try and sneak alone time in here and there just for her to begin to melt down and hate our relationship because I went a couple of hours without talking to her. Basically I get enough alone time to prevent me from totally being beat and throwing my hands up, but not enough to be as good of a boyfriend as I could. I have tried to speak about this with her before, but its a zero sum game.

Then there is the competitive spirit, a major issue in our close relationship that doesnt manifest in less important relationships for her. Because of our current living situations sometimes we have to go a month or two without being able to see each other, whereas normally we can spend a few nights with each other a week. So during this extended absences (Like right now for example, having not seen each other since the first weekend in February) our primary form of "bonding" is to play video games together since we both love to game. The issue is that I have to constantly play at a handicap as if I play at or beyond her level as I frequently do, she becomes wildly upset and refuses to play anymore. This limits us to basically one game to play together where it would be a massive investment in time for me to be on her level, and unlike her I appreciate variety in the games I play. Tonight for instance, I figured we both could enjoy playing something like Stardew Valley. She could do girl stuff, I could do guy stuff. I made more money. She was done. Wat do?
>>
>>16902518
Jesus. She's not competitive, she's a sore loser.

You need to sit down and have a discussion about these issues, try to find a compromise that satisfies you both, and work at it.
>>
>>16902583
I have tried to speak to her, she gives herself up as a lost cause almost immediately and nosedives into self pity.
>>
>>16902595
Then I don't see what else there is to be done. I'm sorry, anon. If she's not willing to work on herself and the relationship, the relationship won't work.
>>
You GF and I are half twinsiee.

The competitive issue: Her issue is that she sees self worth in how well she does in a video game. That is her problem and if you bring this up to her, she will likely deny until the cows come home. She's not really competitive - it's not that she likes to win, it's that she needs something to feel good about herself. She won't keep playing things she isn't good at so that's a major clue to that one.

What to do? Not much for you TO do, since she makes everything into a self esteem boost/drop. it's how she sees things. You could try talking to her about it - "Hey, I really liked playing this game with you, you know? Why don't we anymore?" And go from there. Be delicate since she sounds sensitive. Just try to coax her into trying things AGAIN. But this does entail you biting the bullet and playing a game you guys have played before but not for the reasons of her ~increasing her skill but so she can try to understand it's supposed to actually be fun.

As for the first part, maybe go half n half? My boyfriend is has no need for me time, whereas I do, so what we compromised on is just I do my own shit but I don't do it completely alone. We have vague conversations but I get to be as quiet as I want and he can get the togetherness aspect.

However, if she NEEDS 100% your attention, then you guys just need to have a legit talk. Not "please let me have my alone time," but "hey, i'm going to have my alone time now. i love you a lot, just as much, i just need some time to myself." just do it, imo. She's not going to find anyone who can dedicate 100% of their time to her and she needs to stop being immature about that. Sure, she has needs, but so do you. There has to be some balance.
>>
>>16902631
oh, side note to my entire post:

like me, your girlfriend has some issues and she needs to open her eyes and fix them and stop crying about them. i still do it, no lie, but i do know, overall, i have to get over myself.

she either needs a therapist or perhaps you can talk to her about her overall issues. glhf w/e
>>
>>16902631
>just say youre going to have your alone time
that would not go over well.

In my girlfriends world everything is either black or white. Either its 100% 24/7 or 0 percent go away forever.

And I think I see that she needs to win to feel good about herself, because typically she is just full of self hatred.
>>
>>16902669
She needs to get over that. If she thinks "He must hate me because he wants to be alone," it's because she's letting her self loathing override what she knows of your personality ("he just needs that kind of thing.")

Really, your GF is the one who should have been posting here. You can't DO anything except talk to her. Talk to her about how she needs to separate who you are as a human being and her self loathing, as hard as that may be.

Nothing you can do but talk to her. It may not go well, but you have to or you'll just end up getting burned out.
>>
>>16902518
OP, I don't know how you manage to deal with all this bullshit. She seems incredibly childish and immature, and she needs to work on herself and grow up.
You don't have to do anything, just tell her to see a therapist and work on her issues.
>>
>>16902678
>burned out
its been nearly 3 years, it wasnt like this at first. She says its because back then I didnt matter as much as I do now, she was too afraid to be attached. Now she's attached she's too afraid to loosen up
>>
>>16902518

Gotta leave her. Sounds like a classic narcissist. It can only get worse.
>>
>>16902518
If you write three paragraphs explaining how your relationship isn't working out, why do you need our advice? What you should do it obvious, and you know it: dump her.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.