[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How useless would getting a degree in music be?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (53KB, 936x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53KB, 936x960px
How useless would getting a degree in music be?
>>
>>16880775
In what specifically? Its not entirely useless if do something you can get a job in. I know people who got degrees in things like Music Theory and Music Therapy, and both did fine.
>>
>>16880788
Performance
>>
>>16880775
Music major here. Why are you getting a degree in music? What are your goals?
>>
>>16880775
It's not the degree.
It's the practice that makes you great.

So if the degree is well taught... it makes sense.
>>
extremely
>>
>>16880828
Just want to make music it's all I've ever wanted to do but not be a teacher or anything. I would like to be relevant, but at the same time if fame didn't come I still feel like I'd be happy.
>>
thoroughly
>>
>>16880828
I don't want to become a teacher I want to perform big. Why did you go for a music degree?
>>
>>16880842
If you mean that you want to start a band and get signed to a label or whatever, then the practice and education might be valuable, but the degree (meaning the piece of paper) sure as fuck won't. If you mean that you want to become a professional concert pianist or some shit, then dude, I hate to tell you, but if you're asking this question here, it's never going to happen. Never. Time travel back to age five and spend the bulk of your days practicing and maybe you'll have a shot.
>>
more than 80% less than 100%
>>
>>16880858
It's the first one by even then I see getting signed just as a way to further success I want to already be successful prior but it's just scary
>>
I think it can be quite practical actually. There are lots of jobs involving music and sound that aren't just being a professional musician or giving music lessons.

If you've got a good grasp of the technical side of producing music and you are a talented composer there is plenty of work for you out there.

Like anything though it will require talent and hard work. There will be almost endless opportunities at most universities to start getting involved. You can work in the radio department, you can write about music in the paper, you can help run and set-up the different music nights, you can DJ, you can manage live music events, you can work in the university musicals etc.

Even if you just want to make music for a shitty rock band it's not the worst idea. Just do the fucking work. You should be writing and practicing your own music for at least one hour a day. Then start learning how the business fucking works and what it takes to put on a good gig, get a whole album written down etc.

University is a very non-threatening space to get that stuff done. You won't have much actual work to do and there's usually not much pressure on you.

You can do it on your own but working in retail and trying to get your band going is difficult. It's a lot easier when you are surrounded by musicians and you have nothing else to do.

A lot of people will tell you it's really difficult but think of it like any other career. It takes years of training to become even a basic doctor - working longs weeks. Smoking pot and masturbating is not training to be a musician.
>>
>>16880775
The only useless degree is one you don't truly want. If you're willing to either move to where there are jobs in the music industry, or be disciplined enough to work from home or be self-employed, then you'll be fine.
>>
>>16880896
Thanks man this adds a new perspective and haha yup the shitty rock band is the route im hoping for and well I guess that's what makes me worry because how many mainstream people even went to college for music? They just go make things and luck finds them that's why I feel worried sometimes
>>
>>16880837
>>16880842
If you want to perform, you need to take your studies seriously. You can only go so far on practice alone, even though you do need to be putting in more hours than everyone else. What you learn in theory and history should inform you about how you perform a piece. If you want a shot at making it, you need to go the extra step that your colleagues won't take. Even the smart kids aren't going to go the extra step. They're just going to be concerned about getting an A in their classes and that's not good enough. Every time you practice, you need to apply your knowledge of music to whatever it is you're working on. Take private lessons, listen to how your instructor wants you to practice. They know how to get you an optimal playing level. Also, play a variety of stuff, and play the shit out of it. Really dig into the music.
>>16880876
If you're going to be a guy who's writing his own music, I'd take a composition course or two, as well as an improvisation class. Even if you don't plan on touching sonata form, or using a Db7#9 tritone substitute when you're done, you'll still learn valuable skills and be able to think more musically. Take this shit seriously.

If you want me to sum it all up, what you get out of your degree is up to you. If you want to be successful, then you have to pull everything you can out of every lesson, every practice session, and every second listening to a piece of music. I cannot tell you how many people go to school for music, and think that getting As in all their classes will suffice.
>>
>>16880896
Even though it's difficult, any ideas on how to get a band rolling?
>>
>>16880907
Thanks so much man it feels good actually talking with someone about something I care about, even if it sounds stupid to most
>>
>>16880910

I don't think it is difficult to get a 'band rolling' at university.

Shit, most of the kids going will have a soundcloud page with some of their stuff on it and they'll be there with the same intention as you.

The difficult part will be finding people you mesh with, that want to work with similar material as you, and will have enough dedication to not waste your time.

I think though that you can pull other people up to your level. So it would be easy for you to mock up a band that wants to jam every now and then, but it will be up to you to take it seriously.

Don't rely too much on the other people if they're not interested. Work on your own projects, experiment, and always be creating new stuff. If you can get momentum going some of the lazier band members will get more involved anyway.
>>
>>16880948
Yeah I get what you're saying, I just wanna have fun and prove everyone who's doubting me wrong. At the same time though I'm afraid because I'll be the first in my family to go to college and I want to prove them wrong, but still take care of them yet if I fail I feel like I'll disappoint them
>>
One of my mates has a degree in music.
Had his life handed to him on a platter.
Got the US Navy band trying to suck his dick.
He's teaching now. A buncha fucking kids.

Granted, he was, literally, a genius. He took a double major in music theory and computer engineering.
When he took his Navy entrance test (for the band position), the recruiter literally said "Dude, choose whatever, we'll let you do it".

But he refused the USN and chose to teach instead.
Not sure whether that was worth it.
Personally, I would have chosen pilot or something. He was a short nigga, so he could have done it.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.