[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Non native English speaker here. What is the difference in meaning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: 1438798697299.jpg (2MB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
1438798697299.jpg
2MB, 1920x2560px
Non native English speaker here.

What is the difference in meaning between "go" and "come"?

For example, "to go there" and "to come there", or "go with us" and "come with us"?
>>
>>16850983

I wouldn't say "to come there".

Come is like a command, If I say, "come here". come seems to centre around the speaker too, you wouldn't say "come here" and point behind someone.

Maybe Im not explaining it well
>>
>>16850983
What's your native language? The same verb distinction almost certainly exists in your language.

To go indicates that you are leaving a place in order to reach another destination.

To come indicates that you are leaving from another place to reach a destination.

For example, a person is starting at the library and ending at the bank.
"They go from the library to the bank."
"They come to the bank from the library."
The meaning of the sentence is the same
>>
>>16850983
"come" is like a command saying "move to where i am" and "go" is like a command saying "move to somewhere i am not"
both are pretty much the same, the difference is in the speaker.
>>
When you "go" somewhere, you yourself are moving from point A to point B because you are the one 'go'-ing aka making the effort to be in a position you aren't already in

When you command or ask someone to 'come' to you, or 'come' with you somewhere, the other person is moving from point A wherever they are to joining you at point B where you are. Your position stays the same, but they join your position, because they are 'coming' with you.

So for example, if you wanted someone wanted you to join them on a night out, they would say, please come with us, meaning, you move from your position to theirs and move along with them at their discretion.

If they say Go with us, it means you move from your point A to their point B, but you are also free to do you're own thing and move to point C, you aren't directly tied to or with them, since you are moving yourself from point A to B to C, just as they are, so you are 'going' with them, two independent paths that happen to follow the same direction.

Also for example in sports, if you are playing soccer and you have the ball and you want your teammate to run ahead for a pass, you don't tell him to come, you tell him to go! If your teammate is in your position with the ball, and you want the ball, you would signal him to come to you, not go to you. See the difference?

It's very minor and exchangeable, it really doesn't matter which one you use, but there is a slight difference.
>>
>>16850983
Come definition, to approach or move toward a particular person or place.

Examples: Come here. Don't come any closer! As in don't approach me.

"Come" could mean that they are moving to a location with intention of being there.

"Come here" can be looked as they want you to move from your location to their loacation, to be near them. That is their intention to have them be near you. Or if they are standing next to you and tell you come here. it could mean to follow them.

Come with us. Is similar to the statement above. To follow them.
>>
File: 71rxt8QTkgL._SY355_.jpg (9KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
71rxt8QTkgL._SY355_.jpg
9KB, 355x355px
"come" heh
>>
>>16850983
Reply based on your question format.

"Anon, go to the movies"
Go by yourself to the movies.

"Anon, come to the movies"
We are already at the movies or will be going to the movies, join us.

"Anon, go with us to the movies. "
We are going to the movies in the future, join us when we go.

"Anon, come with us to the movies"
We are going to the movies soon, join us.

Basically all of these are correct and there's just subtle differences you need to pick up by heading people say these sentences. This is generally what people mean by these words but it changes and saying "go with us to the movies right now" isn't really wrong, it just sounds a bit weird to a native speaker.
>>
both can be used in most situations...

I would say that 'go' is less personal and that 'come' includes the speaker more

eg: are you going? - is a probing question
are you coming? - is saying, I'm going are you?

you should go home - is just a suggestion, the people don't live together and if they did then they are both not at home.
you should come home - I'm at home, join me. Or I'm leaving, join me.

it all depends on context unfortunately, and the tone can really shift the meaning as well. Go on, can be a request or a threat depending on how it's said.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.