[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Science degree > can't get a job > can't afford

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: Glorious Australian man.png (85KB, 361x333px) Image search: [Google]
Glorious Australian man.png
85KB, 361x333px
3rd month of unemployment since graduating and I don't even hear a "thanks but no thanks" from 85% of jobs I apply for.

Meanwhile cunt of a friend who lives on welfare is about to go on holiday in India on taxpayers money.

What is an honest, hard working scientist meant to do these days? Too old and too expensive to stack shelves or throw burgers at people and too young and inexperienced to get a proper job.

I am currently facing down the barrel of potential military service to stave off unemployment and I am not looking forward to it one bit.

What do?
Australian shitposter btw.
>>
What kind of degree you have?
>>
>>16809264
>Science degree
In what ? Major ? Comp Sci ?

>potential military service
Our military is pretty good. High pay in comparison to others. Could apply to be an officer with that science degree.
Even rifleman is like 50k+ per year to shoot guns and be in the nature.
>>
>>16809264
>3rd month of unemployment since graduating
Not that this helps you, but it's a cautionary tale for others: start focusing on getting a job well before you graduate.

Anyway.

>Too old and too expensive to stack shelves or throw burgers at people
No you're not. If you have bills, do what you need to do to pay them, even if it's bullshit work. You don't have to put it on your resume. I dunno anything about Australia so don't really have much else to offer. I like temp agencies a lot to find part time work.
>>
I'm a history major graduating this semester and this is why I'm going to graduate school. Who is going to hire a history major?
>>
>>16809271
Geology major, really only worthwhile in mining which just happens to be doing badly right now.
>>
>>16809273
It's not that I don't want to take up bs work its a sad case that bs work won't take me on. My sister works at maccas and hoped she could get me in, she tells me they hired 2 or 3 kids for the same wage as one of me.
>>
>>16809288
Well if that really is the case you'll just have to accept things and look for temp work.

Go on welfare like your mate. You'll need it.
>>
>>16809310
To be frank I'd rather join the Navy than get on welfare which incidentally I might do just to get out of going to my graduation ceremony bs.
>>
>>16809326
Well i'm glad to see you're haven't taken joining the armed forces lightly.

Look I was in a really similar situation to you, I had trouble finding work after I graduated as well and toying with service as a solution, I knew it wasn't for me however.

It doesn't make you a lazy cunt to accept Newstart Allowance if you're actually looking for work. You're not doing yourself or anyone any flavours being to proud or principled to apply. It's whats it there for.
>>
>>16809326
Well i'm glad to see you're haven't taken joining the armed forces lightly.

Look I was in a really similar situation to you, I had trouble finding work after I graduated as well and toying with service as a solution, I knew it wasn't for me however.

It doesn't make you a lazy cunt to accept Newstart Allowance if you're actually looking for work. You're not doing yourself or anyone any flavours being to proud or principled to apply. It's whats it there for.

Oh and go to your graduation ceremony, it's a few hours of your time and you will look good in the photos.
>>
>>16809264
This comes from a filthy backpacker who spend a year in australia. I don't know where you live but if you're willing to travel into the outback like western queensland, nt or wa there's good money to be made in the middle of nowhere on farms or roadhouses. It's shitty work but it pays good and you can't spend that much money in the middle of nowhere anyway. Just get a place with internet anf you can look for a real job online.

I did gardening and labouring in countryside nsw and north east ql and it took me a week to find a good payed hospitality job in sydney.

Besides isn't mining the thing that makes wa so wealthy? I know the boom is currently going down but there has to be something even if it is getting out in the field. Just don't take ice at the mines
>>
>>16809284
>>16809264
Hey anon, I'm a geology major from Australia too. Luckily for me it was always my plan to go to graduate school so I dipped out to Canada immediately after finishing.

Everyone else I graduated with, maybe 3/30 still have an industry job, and only a few are in graduate school.

Have you tried applying for graduate school overseas? Otherwise, maybe try applying for lab assistant jobs anywhere. A couple of people I know have jobs in generic (medical/soil whatever) labs just because they have a science degree, and they get paid $28/hr or so.

Goodluck anon, I know the struggle.
>>
>>16809371
Cheers mate, good to see geos floating out there. Really similar outcome from my uni cohort, a fair few of them got a mining job but as you say very few have survived the culls and it's only been 3 months for some, 9 months for others.

I've been applying for pretty much everything from hazardous material disposal, lab assistant, labouring, door to door sales etc.

I'd love to do grad school but I can't afford it + I think I'd get more out of it if I had my life sorted out and some money behind me.

Carry on M8.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.