[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Army or Coast Guard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (2MB, 3161x1777px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3161x1777px
So right now I'm a B student. My cousin is a captain in the Coast Guard and he has a lot of friends that can help me get into a high position. However I am very interested in going to a military academy to become a army officer. My parents are highly discouraging me joining a academy and I don't know if I can even get in since I'm B average. Also there's the problem of a lot of high school dropouts joining the army. So if I go in I'll be responsible for a bunch of insubordinate teenagers. I don't know which branch to go into especially when the army isn't taking care of their veterans.

any thoughts?
>>
>>16807393
A B student (3.0 GPA) would not be a very competitive GPA for the the United States Military Academy. You would almost certainly not get in, unless you had perfect test scores.
I would recommend going to a local state university and joining the ROTC program there, if you wanted to go army. However, if you wanted to be in a combat arms position, you have to remember that those slots are few and highly competitive. It's unlikely that you'll get a position in combat, and even more unlikely that you'll be able to stay in combat for very long (e.g., transferred out to a desk job after your first promotion).

I don't know anything about CG, but if you have contacts there, I'd be all over that t b h.
>>
>>16807425
You're an asshole.
What the fuck am I supposed to do? I'm in highschool, I have my two year degree. I have a 3.2 GPA, I have good test scores. A lot of community service. Leading position in clubs.
BUT IM NOT GOOD ENOUGH
FUCK
THIS
>>
OP here
>>16807425
Thanks for the advice. I still have some opportunities to bring my grades up to a A but you're right the coast guard is better since I have contacts.

>>16807451
What?
>>
>>16807451
If you want to become a US Army officer, I recommend going to talk to a recruiter about what your options are. US Military Academy is far from your only option.
>>
>>16807393
Navy
>>
>>16807541
SO WHAT THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO DO?
IM NO BETTER THAN THE KID WHO DROPPED OUT OF HS AND JOINED UP?
>>
>>16807550
Quit being a faggot
The kid who dropped out is probably going to a grunt
You could do a lot of different things. Do engineering and quit bitching. You don't rly seem like you'd be that fit for military if you can't think for yourself
>>
>>16807550
No you fucking retard. Most recruiting offices have an officer recruiter. Ask to be put into contact with one, and he'll explain what your options are if you want to become an officer. But basically, he'll probably tell you:
1) you will need a 4 year degree to become an officer.
2) Your options are basically doing ROTC at a 4 year college, or applying directly to OCS (boot camp for officers) after getting your degree.

Btw, this self-pitying shit and thinking you're better than other people makes me think you might want to reconsider whether the army is for you.
>>
>>16807593
I want to be like the anime guy. Asshole.
Why do I have to go to college to be an officer? that's not fucking fair.
I didn't get into college, but i'm already halfway done
>>
>>16807393
hope you will get shot by a homedefender while you are helping your country to invade others. middle east had enough of you invader fags
>>
>>16807393
also when you become officer, fly my regards to juba. (write it on a note and put it on your pocked, he will get it from your dead body)
>>
>>16807602
>that's not fucking fair.
I don't know any anime guy, but do you think you're going to be treated fairly in the Army? If they don't treat you nicely are you going to cry about it?

If you have a less-than-spectacular GPA at a junior college, why do you think you'll do well enough to apply successfully to OCS or maintain an ROTC scholarship at a 4 year college? I honestly don't think you're being realistic about your capabilities.
>>
>>16807632
I went to college and high school at the same time and still did well. I don't understand your question
>>
>>16807645
If you didn't get into college you didn't do well.
>>
OP here
>>16807541
I understand there are others options but military academy's are much better if you want to do what I want to do which is go very high up in ranking. Plus I've always been interested in military logistics but if given the option I'd rather be a officer in combat. What I'm saying is I don't mind a desk job but I would like to have combat experience if I start to rank up high.
>>16807550
You should have done you're homework kid.
>>
>>16807652
what do you mean I didn't do well? I have a decent GPA, great volunteer hours, great positions in clubs , great test scores
>>
>>16807674
You said that, but you also said you didn't get into college.

What fact speaks louder to you?
>>
>>16807688
it's still a fact that I did great in school
>>
>>16807712
That doesn't mean shit and it's pretty clear that the reason you're having said problem is because of that idiotic mentality that you currently have. I'm not trying to be an asshole. It's a shitty example but listen to this
>>I completed every world record except for one. Why won't they let me have that world record

Like I said shitty example but you get the point
>>
>>16807751
So what am I supposed to do
>>
>>16807767
Apply. There's no harm in that, and who knows? Military academies can be a little strange: they know what they want, and you may fit some profile they're looking for anyway.

But do have a backup plan. Your grades will definitely hurt your chances, and so while you might get in anyway, you might not. Talk to a recruiter, and see what your options are.

And one other thing to keep in mind: what do you want? Do you want to join the military or be an officer, or is that something you need to do in order to accomplish some greater task? Be sure you know what you really WANT, and keep it in mind, because you might end up in a situation where you can't reach the goal unless you sacrifice the plan. You need to be ready in case that happens, or you could lose both.
>>
>>16808061
Why would my grades hurt
>>
>>16808095
A 3.2 GPA in high school is a really terrible GPA. Period. Get that through your head.
>>
>>16808260
>highschool matters

kek
>>
>>16808260
How is that a bad GPA? That seems really good to me considering everything else I have.
3.2 is not bad by any means.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.