[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

College

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: liberal_arts_webpage_photo.jpg (149KB, 1650x1275px) Image search: [Google]
liberal_arts_webpage_photo.jpg
149KB, 1650x1275px
>be me
>liberal arts college
>shitty pre-reqs for graduation
>hate 90% of the teachers
>studying philosophy
>feel like it is all a waste of time
>in my sophomore year

Should I transfer to a school like Purdue and study something like aviation and go into rotc, stay, or drop out and go into the trades?

Kind of getting sick of lib arts. I'm fine when I'm taking classes, but I start hating everything when I'm on vacation.
>>
>>16664745
You definitely should not get a philosophy degree. If you have no idea what you actually want to do, in a field that will actually provide you a decent living, you need to take a break from school, get a job and figure it out over time. Stop wasting your time and money on a dumbshit degree like that. It's wildly irresponsible.
>>
if you don't want to study lib arts dont

what's the problem here
>>
File: 00059.jpg (143KB, 908x756px) Image search: [Google]
00059.jpg
143KB, 908x756px
>>16664745
>studying philosophy
What king of job will you get with this
>>
>>16664749

I guess that's my problem. I just want to be able to have a job that pays decently but the whole "college degree = today's high-school diploma" is worrying me.

I was also thinking about enlisting and doing that for 4 years and go back to school after that.
>>
It's true that prospects for philosophy aren't good, a percent of the graduates really do end up working in coffee shops and book stores. First I would check if any of the countries where higher education is free (like the Netherlands) offer that to people outside the continent, just in case they do. Do a serious-work course (mechanical, technical, chemical, medical etc) and do it somewhere where the education standards are high and the courses aren't so relaxed. Or just do a relatively simpler trade and slip into a job, depends how complex you like your work projects to be.
>>
>>16664770
I'm doing that along with math and public health. I also have experience as a paid on call firefighter/emt.

I guess the only reason why I decided to get a college degree was so that I could become an officer in the military and become a fighter pilot. 16-18 year old me was pretty dead set on it.
>>
>>16664772
Do you want to work at a high level or at a high-school diploma level?

If it's the high school level there's better ways, just be specific about what you want to do.
>>
>>16664782

I want to work in a high level job, but I do not want a desk job. I guess at this point I just want to do rather than think about too much. Like at a fire scene, I just get out of the truck, get my gear and do what I'm told. But I suppose I really do like the physical aspect of it.
>>
>>16664810
I was thinking more like chief chemist that reports to some department on the Estonian government, that kind of thing. Doing something simple and repetitive is relaxed and mindless, while knowing a deep area inside-out is stimulating. Not sure which is best objectively.
>>
>>16664827

Yeah, that would actually be cool. Lab work or field work would be it. Something exciting and different. You never get the same thing twice at my work.

I feel like it's more of a motivation issue. It seems like I'm looking for a shrink or something, but what would you do in my situation? I could give you more information about myself. I've tried talking to my friends about this but I just get run of the mill cheapo, don't care answers.
>>
Look, if u go to college you HAVE TO study: engineering, law, pre-med/clinical stuff, computer science, or get your MBA. Otherwise your throwing your money away.

Construction trades are rough. You have to move to where the jobs are, work 10/12 hrs a day and work around a lot of cocaine/heroin addicts and its impossible to shit unless you sell your soul to exlax. You make a lot of money when you work but then get laid off for months/years on end til the union hall offers you another job and you have to move to where the job is. From my experience pipefitters and electricians make a lot though.

If you have no passion, I say join ROTC/army and see where that could take you. They might open your eyes to jobs you want, and an academic path to get there.
>>
>>16664871
Would it be better to rotc or just join straight up? I've been considering that after this school year.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.