[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/Pretentious/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: burzum-weather-report.jpg (223KB, 1000x515px) Image search: [Google]
burzum-weather-report.jpg
223KB, 1000x515px
How do you deal with people calling you pretentious? Any time I see a movie with my brother or he listens to the music I like he writes me off as pretentious. It really irritates me because I try to discuss these things afterwards but he keeps attacking my character instead of my arguments.

Also, my tastes in music and film have been developed over a long time thinking critically of what works for me and what doesn't. To have them dismissed as nothing but a superiority complex aggravates me.
>>
>because I try to discuss these things afterwards
You stop doing that.
>>
>>16664397
I mean it's not just me that starts the discussion. It's a common thing to do after you watch a movie with someone.

Should I just give simple answers or tell him what I think he wants to hear. That doesn't seem too honest or helpful.

Or should I just ignore it completely and tell him that it seems he never wants to discuss things seriously.
>>
>>16664397
This.

If he's gonna call you pretentious for wanting a discussion, don't discuss shit with him.

If you think your opinions are particularly "complete" or "cultured" or god forbid "rich" then you just might be pretentious and might need to humble yourself.
>>
don't talk to them anymore and find better friends you aspie faggot
>>
>>16664448
He doesn't call me pretentious for wanting a discussion. He wants to have a discussion but whenever we do it ends in him calling me pretentious for my tastes and that I inspect too closely and care too much about little aspects.

Also, I don't think my preferences are any better than someone that watches capeshit all day. Because preference is exactly that, "preference".

But I think I have the right to enjoy things that in his words are "not popular" or whatever. I don't think that I should be confined to watching and liking only what's selling at the box office or billboard or bookstands.
>>
>>16664393
>deal with it

Dealing with it is only not taking negative action based on your resentment. That's fucking it.

You do sound a little prideful though, try not to be a showoff. Don't talk about your obscure but oh so finely developed tastes to someone who doesn't care. That is YOUR mistake if it ever happens more than once.
>>
>>16664393
>Also, my tastes in music and film have been developed over a long time thinking critically of what works for me and what doesn't. To have them dismissed as nothing but a superiority complex aggravates me.
you do sound like a pretentious faggot
>>
>>16664463
> find new friends
> talking about brother
> hey anon find a new brother
>>
>>16664499
I get this sometimes when arguing with someone

This as in people (actually one guy specifically) saying i over analyze things or look too into them. But i personally think any piece of media deserves some sort of analysis and critical thinking. But that doesn't mean I'm pretentious or he is a simpleton. Just different tastes.

Maybe what's happening when you discuss things is that one of you turns it into an argument and it becomes about showing the other that they are wrong.

Try not to do that. Also when you say things try not to make it sound like "I'm not saying its shit im just saying its not my taste" because that sounds more like "its not my taste therefore its shit"
>>
>>16664552
I don't find my tastes to be better than anyone else. Taste is a subjective thing. I don't think anyone likes to be dismissed for their preferences whether they are called stupid, pretentious, or whatever else. That was my point with those statements.
>>
>>16664574
Thanks for your answer.
>"I'm not saying its shit im just saying its not my taste"

Hmm how do I get around this?
>>
>>16664575
But you're making it sound like you're tastes have a higher value than someone else because you though about it hard and long.

Tl;dr you're making it sound like you're a pretentious faggot
>>
>>16664393
>Also, my tastes in music and film have been developed over a long time thinking critically of what works for me and what doesn't. To have them dismissed as nothing but a superiority complex aggravates me.

Not going to read the rest of the thread. >>>/a/

You will be among friends.
>>
>>16664593
Preface the fact that you don't like it with a reason its good.
"Def leopard has earned there place in rock and roll history with there classic anthems but i personally don't like it"

This makes it come out more like "compared to this, perhaps my taste is a bit shit but that's okay i like my stuff" which is a good trade off for not sounding like a phagus
>>
>>16664630
My point in saying that was to show why it aggravates me to have my preferences written off as pretentious.

It wasn't an appeal to muh superior taste. Although, I see why you take it that way. I just wanted to illustrate that I wasn't just pretending to like the things I like.
>>
>>16664660

Not everyone can hope to be as refined as you m'lady. *tips fedora*
>>
>>16664665
Jesus Christ okay, if that's what you're getting out of this then I tip my fedora back XDD.
>>
>>16664647
I like that, thanks.
>>
>>16664552

Truth right here.

Shits either wack as fuck, or I fuck with it.

Thomas Sowell? I kinda fuck with. Michio Kaku? Wack as fuck. Stanley Kubrick- I FUCKS WITH. Predator- I fucks with. Downton Abbey- wack as fuck.

Just expose yourself to a bunch of shit, and enjoy a variety of things. If you don't like stuff, it's just wack.
>>
>>16664687
What?
>>
>>16664748

You're pretentious because you are chomping at the bit to deconstruct and critique what you consume, it's too clinical. Most people dont enter conversations on that note. It's more casual to just say that shit is wack, or you fucks with it.
>>
File: IMG_20151215_211809.jpg (23KB, 347x593px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151215_211809.jpg
23KB, 347x593px
You shun them like the plebs they are
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.