[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Car sharing troubles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

So right now I'm living in the same house as my sister and her boyfriend, along with their baby.

I'm going to be 20 soon and I'd like to buy my first car so I can get a different job and potentially go to community college. I have about $4,500 saved up and I'm trying to spend it as wisely as I can.

The problem is, there's no other car at our house. My sis and her bf have been borrowing this other car from a friend for the past year or so, but the friend is now going to take the car away from us(plus the insurance and registration tags have already expired, so they shouldn't be driving it anyway, but they are..)

That would mean that if I bought a car, they would be fucking swarming me every day and asking me to borrow the car. I don't want that. I want my car to be my car. I would be paying $250 a month in insurance alone, plus gas and repairs.

My sister has at least one DUI on her record, and her boyfriend is a complete stoner type who I don't fully trust. They have a baby and they're going to need transportation to their jobs, but I don't want to be the one to depend upon for that.

So now I'm feeling stuck. I feel like I can't get a car because I can already see all the issues it's going to cause between everyone. I can't move out, as I don't make enough money to be able to do that. Am I being selfish here? What do I do..
>>
Wait, so they have jobs, but they can't buy their own fucking car?
>>
>>16626708
Unless you're paying them rent, they will use the car as they like for let you stay with them for 'free'.
>>
When you get the car establish clear boundaries that if you need it for school or your own shit, that comes first. I think if you explain it as you're trying to better yourself and be more of an adult they'll have to respect that.

And maybe if they see you handling your shit, they'll get their shit together.
>>
>>16626721
My sister works on the weekends as a waitress. She makes more than I do in 1-2 shifts than I make working 40 hours in retail.

Her boyfriend hasn't had a job for a few weeks now, but I think he plans on getting one after tomorrow, because it only opens up after the 1st.

So, yeah, they're both going to be working and making money eventually..
>>
>>16626731
I don't pay them rent. I guess I left out the fact that we are all living on my grandmother's property, and she's letting us stay in the house.
>>
Well, the one thing you can do for sure is tell them they have to take out their own separate insurance policy on the car if they want to drive it. They're not allowed to be on your insurance. They have to have their own insurance on it. Both of them. No exceptions. Doubt they'll pony up the cash to do it, but lay down other ground rules if they do.

Honestly, this situation is kind of fucked. You're right, even if they do agree to not use you and your car, they will bitch at you endlessly and forget it when they want to run to the store real quick and get on your case all the time. At least make sure they have their own insurance first, and you might just have to bite this one.
>>
>>16626708

Oh they would kick you out if you refused to let them use you car is that how you feel?

Honestly if it were me I'd be making a plan b in the event I had to move out sooner than expected and in the mean time get your car and tell them you'll give rides at your convenience but other that only you gets to drive the car. Your car your rules and don't ever allow yourself to break down and say yes or they will always expect to use your car.
>>
>>16626748
Ah that changes things. You dont own shit to them then, just pretend to be busy when they ask you for the car.

It doesnt make you selfish, unless they need to takw their baby to the hospital and you wont lend them the car lol
>>
>>16626754
No, they couldn't kick me out. Even if they wanted to.

I'm on good terms with my grandma and she gets the final say on everything, as she owns the property.

I just wish they could get their own car, but another thing is that their biggest dream is to move back to another state... Which will cost a lot of money, so they've been saving up for that. They want to move back in about 6-7 months, but honestly I don't know if they can get their shit together. They just blow their money on weed and alcohol, plus formula for the baby, which is expensive
>>
>>16626708
Yeah man its actually pretty simple.
"no."
>>
>>16626708

Your going to have to lay down a strong solid, 'No.'

Tell them how it is, Its clearly the only valuable thing you have got and youve worked long and hard for it.
>>
>>16626780
>formula for the baby

Her own fucking fault, she only works weekends why didn't she breast feed it
>>
park it somewhere it won't get towed and that's within walking distance.
>>
>>16627707
Her boobs don't produce nearly enough milk anymore
>>
>>16627800
Its her fault again. It must be the drugs and alcohol.
>>
File: 32.jpg (67KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
32.jpg
67KB, 640x480px
>>16626708
Buy a small simple car for $1,500 and the test to move out and pay for an apartment. Even if the apartment sucks it would only be you living in it. Then you get ur job and continue studiyng.
>>
>>16626708

you arent being selfish. they are full fledged adults with full fledged lives. they need a car. they cannot expect to use yours because it would literally be them using it every day as if it was their own. they would need it DAILY. you cant just buy them a car.

so go out, and tell them you are buying a car, and that you recommend they do so as well since their current one is being taken away from them.

explain that you need your car for your use and are only making one personal key for your own use (you of course hide a second key in your room in case you lock your keys in the car) and that they do not get a spare key.

they will probably continue to pressure you, but hold out and DONT let them use it until thery have their own vehicle. otherwise they will not learn.

once they do have their own vehicle it is okay to loan it out to them on times when they need a second vehicle (like if dad needs to take son to something but moms at work with the car).

but you cannot let them use it til they have one car of their own otherwise they are just going to steal your car.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.