[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Developing better speech

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1446352043736.jpg (31KB, 420x315px) Image search: [Google]
1446352043736.jpg
31KB, 420x315px
I've always noticed that I speak with kind of a slur, and have always shied away from speaking at a normal pace due to fearing I won't be understood. I have never even spoken to my online friends in the four years I've known them because of my insecurity, and it's just been bugging me lately. Is there anything I can do to work on speaking more clearly? Any good exercises online I can practice? I'm pretty sure I can get proper help at a speech clinic of sorts, but everything I find is targeted towards either children or people who don't speak English. Is it too late for me? I'm 19, so maybe my speech abilities are already set in stone. I just don't know anymore.
>>
>>16609040
>I'm 19, so maybe my speech abilities are already set in stone.
I started to voice act when I was 28. It's a skill you can learn like any other.

How do you think people learn a foreign language? Fuck, people can even train them to learn a specific accent within their language. Learning how to speak properly is no different.
>>
>>16609112
Yeah, I never really thought about people learning different languages, even though I mentioned it in the OP. That gives me a lot of confidence.

Since you're a voice actor, I'm willing to guess that you haven't had any trouble with conversations before. Did you actually have any speech therapy regardless?
>>
>>16609162
The voice acting classes I took crossed over into therapeutic territory very much.

There's good books with accompanying audio CDs out there, most of them probably on piratebay even, I just can't recommend you any in English unfortunately. You could also look up vocal coaches in your area, first appointment usually is free and I bet most of them are happy to recommend you any sort of additional resources you could want.
>>
>>16609040
Meh, you're just bring lazy when talking.
As a Hongkongfag I also speak with a slur when I speak Cantonese. It is so common it is known as "lazy pronociation" here. I know that I talk like this as I am too lazy to pronouce words clearly.
Work on your pronocoation. Imitate actors talking. Record your own voice and listen to it and see what you should work on.
>>
>>16609189
I'll have a look around for some of those books, thanks. The more I think about it, the less of a good idea going to a therapist becomes. Sorta like going to ER for a runny nose. I can probably do it on my own with a good book/CD.

>>16609223
So just practicing a lot will do it?. I'll definitely be doing a lot of that, most likely when no one's home. Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>16609270
>The more I think about it, the less of a good idea going to a therapist becomes. Sorta like going to ER for a runny nose. I can probably do it on my own with a good book/CD.
Vocal coaches are different from a speech therapist.
>>
>>16609282
I was referring to the "speech clinics" I mentioned in the OP. Seeing a voice coach seems like a good gig though.
>>
>>16609270
>So just practicing a lot will do it?
Probably. Shakira managed to sound very American with a lot of practice. Think about it
>>
>>16609316
I dunno, her vocal talents don't exactly end there.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.