[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

OK is it me or is this sentence grammatically incorrect?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: received_1093126094039051.jpg (89KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
received_1093126094039051.jpg
89KB, 1080x1920px
OK is it me or is this sentence grammatically incorrect?
>>
The error starts with "one." It's either
>The Marine Corps is the one
or
>The Marines are the ones

The former is better since earlier in the comment the Army (as in the branch of the armed forces, not the individuals in it) is mentioned.

The use of do/does should then follow.
>>
>>16576533
The Marines are the ones who do it better.
>>
File: weiner.jpg (46KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
weiner.jpg
46KB, 512x384px
>>16576533
ikn where to start
>>
File: carlin last words.jpg (19KB, 260x347px) Image search: [Google]
carlin last words.jpg
19KB, 260x347px
>>16576546
but should be , ones who do
>>
>>16576533
Holy shit you're a huge faggot. Just stop. Fuck.
>>
>>16576556
How huge of a faggot am i?
>>
>>16576533
When figuring out conjugation, I always whittle out the unimportant details. So we're working with

>the marines do it
or
>the marines does it

I haven't studied grammar in years, and English is hellish anyway, so I don't know the language to describe the rules. To my native speaker mouth, 'do' tastes better.

I suppose it's a question of plurality, right?

>they do it
>he does it

So the question is if the phrase "The Marines" grammatically is considered plural or singular.

"The Marines" is a title to describe the organization, right? IIRC, equivalent to "The Army" or "The Navy". Just knowing that, you could say that it is singular.

But I suppose the argument comes in that a member of "The Marines" is a marine. You point over there and say "There are the sailors. That is the Navy." And then you'd say, "There are the marines." Would you say after that "That is the Marines"?

I would treat "The Marines" as plural for that ambiguity, but also for the simple reason that it ends in an S.

But I suppose a way to tell is to look at the Marines' website and see if they talk about themselves in plural or singular.

Now that I've rambled about this, I hope to god you don't bring this up with your friend. Nobody likes a grammar nazi. Nor do they like people who just NEED to be right. You cannot socially talk about this past your already slightly annoying correction. This is not an argument to have. Drop it.
>>
>>16576533
>that profile picture
>>
>>16576570
I'm just messing with a friend and after he corrected to "does" after I corrected him I actually just wanted to make sure my grammar was correct.
>>
>>16576578
Your grammar is wrong. Retarded opinion aside, 'marines' is plural, and the plural form of 'to do' is do. If 'marines' was singular, then 'does' would be correct. Conclusion: you're a fuckwit.
>>
>>16576584
>he corrected to "does"
>'marines' is plural
So OP's the fuckwit for using "do" correctly despite having been inappropriately corrected by his friend?
>>
>>16576533
Hahaha. It's funny, because the army introduced it to the women, but the marines are the ones who do it better. BURN!
>>
>>16576533

It should be "the Marines are the ones who do it better"

Tell that person that they're a fucking idiot
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.