[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do some smart high school students want to do research?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: barney the dinosaur.jpg (55KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
barney the dinosaur.jpg
55KB, 540x540px
Note: I am talking about NON-AMERICAN countries where you can major in Medicine, Law, etc as an UNDERGRADUATE)

Some high school students who got extremely good grades in their finals (i.e. good enough for Medicine in non-American countries) decide to major in stuff such as Physics, Anthropology, Linguistics, Chemistry, etc. in the hope of doing research in the future. Why would they pick that?

>If you don't have anything published, your funding will be cut and you will have no income
>There is no guarantee that you will like research and most people hate if over time
>Jobs are meant to be monotonous, not fun
>They can easily major in Medicine, Law, Actuarial Science, Dentistry science, etc and switch to research later on or do a Master's degree in their area of interest
>The market for researchers is very bad at the moment - it is 100+ people competing for a tenured professorship post and it will not be you getting that job
>Being an adjunct professor sucks as all the contracts are short-termed
>It is hard to even secure a mortgage with such unstable employment
>If you can't find any professorship job, it is hard to find anyone else to hire you as they know that you will go back to academia as soon as you find another professorship job, so chances are you will either end up unemployed or working at McDonalds during this time
>>
>>16567311
Usually just because they want to.
>>
>>16567320
Who the fuck will want to do research though? The points I have listed are already bad enough.
>>
>>16567311
Oh, it's you again.
>>
I don't know how it works wherever you live, but there's a filtering process between first and second year for the majors/degrees you seem to think are more worthwhile than those others. Only a third of all first year law students make it through to second year, for example.
>>
because some people enjoy and like doing research...
>>
Hahhahahah what the fuck is this thread. Just because someone is smart doesn't mean they have to follow a career for 'smart' people. If they are gifted enough to conduct their own research, then hell let em do it. If they fuck up, they fuck up. Jobs can be fun, they dont have to be boring . Why would you want to wake up every morning and regret the choice u made in college?
>>
>>16567325
I'm American so I don't fit into your list, but I'd much rather do information sciences research than work as a software engineer or analyst.

>Jobs are meant to be monotonous, not fun
Oh I see, you're either borderline retarded or this is a troll post. Moving on.
>>
>>16567421
>I'd much rather do information sciences research
Have you ever done research yourself? You are probably romanticising it too much. Read >>>/sci/7721303
>>
>>16567454
Yes, I have. I went to a research undergrad to prepare students for graduate school, which I'm in the process of applying for right now.
>>
>>16567311
Do Not Reply to this OP. He posts this exact same question every 5 days.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.