[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gf wants a 6k engagement ring from me. Told her that's not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 8

File: image.jpg (132KB, 693x697px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
132KB, 693x697px
Gf wants a 6k engagement ring from me. Told her that's not happening. She's super upset. Is she the right girl for me if she doesn't want to marry me over a stupid ring?
Am I being too harsh? The way I see it the money can be spent on our future and engagement rings just have sentimental value manufactured by Disney, movies and advertisement. It's highly irrational and shouldn't be an issue if we love each other.
I'm a poorfag btw.

Pic is Samaras
>>
I feel like she's not mature enough to get married, and neither are you if your first thought at a sign of conflict is to come here to get validation you're right
>>
You dodged a major bullet. What kind of girl asks for a ring with that much of a fucking price tag knowing your financial situation?

Don't even mention how expensive the wedding will be.
>>
>>16522242
Been going on for months now. It's basically me vs her and her mother. Need some outsiders opinion, will try to provide info as objectively as possible.
We had this settled already btw. She agrees to a ring with fake diamonds for 400 bucks. Changed her mind now for reasons unknown.
>>
>>16522249
Problem is I fucking love her. Can easily see me spending my life with her if it wasn't for this issue. At the same time I'm thinking though that this isn't right if she is unwilling to marry over a ring.
>>
>>16522233
I got engaged this year. Before getting engaged I always thought I didn't care about what rings etc but when it came down to it I kinda did. Its difficult not to get swept up in all that stuff. Surely she hasn't said she isn't marrying you over the ring though?

PS my ring cost 6.5.
>>
>>16522261
Tell her she can have the ring but yous have to save for it and wait a year or 2, or get a cheaper one now. If she loves you she'll want the ring now.
>>
>>16522233
If she's creating issues over something that trivial, it's time to move on man. You sound like a rational, mature adult, she sounds like an immature, whiny, self-centered child.
Sorry dude but I'd abort.
>>
File: image.jpg (89KB, 471x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89KB, 471x500px
>>16522263
She was implying it along the lines that I'm unwilling to give her what she wants. Can you tell me why the ring is important to you, or women in general? She struggles to explain it to me.
>>
Personally, I think she's being unreasonable.
My SO and I had a similar disagreement, but we settled it by having each other pay half of whatever ring we got.
>>
>>16522270
Not gonna start my marriage with a lie, and it would be. She's not going to get a ring for that amount, even if I can save it up in years time.
>>
>>16522233
drop it right now, it´s the most stupid thing ever and I´m telling you this as a woman who didn´t even want a wedding but had to do it anyway

people like her and>>16522263
are not worth it.

but whatever. do as you will
>>
OP if she is getting this unreasonable over an engagement ring before you two are married, then imagine the fights and problems after you two get married.

Think long and hard if a girl like this is worth your time.
>>
>tfw my "dream ring" will probably cost around $40, maybe up to $100 if he wants to get fancy

I don't get how it's such a big deal. I've known girls in the past who were really into expensive jewelry. A previous friend's girlfriend sobbed hysterically and threatened to break up because the $600 necklace he bought her for her birthday wasn't the brand she wanted (the necklace she wanted had been discontinued or some shit).

At the end of the day, if she puts more importance in a shiny rock on a piece of metal than she does in your union, you might want to rethink that union.
>>
>wanting an expensive ring for engagement

lol but i'm cheap though. Im more hung up on how romantic the proposal is than how expensive the rock is. I'd be cool with a ring from walmart as long as he fuckin woos me with the proposal

but i'm a hopeless romantic and crazy single so maybe I'm doing this wrong
>>
File: image.jpg (46KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46KB, 640x640px
Thanks everyone. This wasn't very conclusive, but I appreciate everyones opinion anyways. Since I'm a Europoor I gotta sleep now. Cheers
>>
An engagement ring is supposed to be a symbol. It is a symbol that you love her and promise to stay with her. It is NOT a symbol of HOW MUCH you love her, based on its value. This is a fundamental misunderstanding that women seem to have (probably perpetuated by the very lucrative marriage business). If she doesn't get it and won't budge, then tell her she's free to leave.
>>
That's not a good sign at all. My wedding ring was worth 460,99 dollars, white gold no gem. Perfect, wouldn't want to spend a dime more. It's just a ring, at least how I see it.
>>
>>16522429

>initially read that as 460099 dollars

wew
>>
I've seen this before.
It isn't the ring. She doesn't want to settle down with you, so she is trying to find something to make a big deal about anything she can, so she can, at the very least, postpone the engagement if not avoid it all together.
She doesn't have the same intentions as you.
She might even have her eyes on another guy, but you don't jump to that conclusion just yet. Just be cautious.
My advice is to let her believe she is getting the nice ring she wants, and see if she tries to sabotage the relationship even further.
>>
>>16522429

Please type that the correct way.
It's $460.99, you illiterate European fuck.
>>
>>16522367
>>16522429

These and also the others

Any girl who wants that much isn't ready for marriage
my history professor in college proposed with a black ring of rubber, he and his wife appreciate that piece of rubber and always wear it around their fingers
its genius
1. its the cheapest thing
2. it still represents a marriage
3. itll never get damaged or anything
>>
File: gold-digger-magnet.jpg (113KB, 1066x760px) Image search: [Google]
gold-digger-magnet.jpg
113KB, 1066x760px
>>16522233
>Gf wants a 6k engagement ring from me
>not happening
>She's super upset

Next your car isn't nice enough, then your house.
>>
to be honest i'm happy that living like a monk is fine for me no matter my income
>>
>>16522233
Ok, so here's my thoughts. First of all, 6k isn't even that crazy when it comes to rings. That shit gets SO insane SO fuckin fast.

But, 6k is still a whole lot. Me personally, I wouldn't even want anything that expensive. I'd rather use the money to go on an awesome vacation, or eat surf n turf every night. Or just.. save it for when something unexpected happens. Shit like that isn't important to me in the least, so it's really hard for me to relate. Also, I could see her being upset if you you were buying yourself all kinds of expensive goodies and treats, and cheaped out on her ring- that doesn't seem to be the case either.

A lot of girls WANT a big pretty ring. But you literally can't afford it. And the fact that it's a dealbreaker for her and not just a "aw i'm kinda disappointed we can't afford it" is VERY concerning/telling. All that REALLY matters is that you're marrying your best friend. You really need to take a step back and see that this is indicative of a much bigger issue, anon.
>>
Keep weddings cheap and blow it on the honeymoon is the new crowd favorite I keep hearing about.
>>
>>16522474

Do you seriously exepct the whole planet to be experts at american standards? Have some respect for differences.
>>
File: 1353088186442.gif (2MB, 343x302px) Image search: [Google]
1353088186442.gif
2MB, 343x302px
>>16522483
This,

Like others say, it seems immature. She appears to chase arbitrary standards set by other people, and if she is doing this with something (that should be) as important as marriage, one can only assume she is going to see that other "standards" need to be adhered to.

I've seen friends get in a relationship and first its need a marriage, need a house, need a good salary, car, etc

Trying to chase happiness maybe? or keep up with the Joneses?

Seems like a crappy situation if you like her, but she needs to be happy with what you have presently, or do something about it. If she isn't doing something to change the situation you are in, but wants a different situation magic and tears aint gonna cut it.

>pic related: dreams at the top.
>>
>>16522512
Don't insult the U.S.A., you rude foreigner. And it is expected of everyone to know about how great the U.S. is, learn our ways and be great,foreigner.
>>
File: 1389230803736.jpg (33KB, 338x310px) Image search: [Google]
1389230803736.jpg
33KB, 338x310px
this has got to be some kind of master b8
>>
>>16522687
I can't speak for this thread specifically, but this shit is (bizarrely imo) pretty common.
>>
>>16522512

You can be like us, or you can be wrong.

Pick one.
>>
>She's super upset. Is she the right girl for me if she doesn't want to marry me over a stupid ring?
>I'm a poorfag btw.
>It's highly irrational and shouldn't be an issue if we love each other.
>Problem is I fucking love her. Can easily see me spending my life with her if it wasn't for this issue.
> t's basically me vs her and her mother.

This is your brain on bluepill.

Beta as fuck. Cast away your disney-love fantasies, see woman for what they are as people, and never get married, certainly not to this basic whore.
>>
>>16523037 also
This whole affair makes it crystal-clear she has never seen you as a person, she's only interested in your status and what you can provide for her (even if you're a poorfag, even if you have to suffer for it).

>Problem is I fucking love her. Can easily see me spending my life with her
And stop projecting she loves you back as you love her.
>>
>>16522722
well it needs to disappear
how small does your dick have to be to agree to something like this
>>
>>16522233
show her this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5kWu1ifBGU
>>
>>16522233
you shouldnt of told her you were not going to buy her a ring.

Should of just done some hipster thing like propose to her with a ring pop or some 'cute' shit.
>>
>>16522233
Jfc this whining, moaning, bitching board.
1. Women and men are different. You're looking at this through the eyes of an autistic 4chan user. She is looking at it through the eyes of a typical woman. Men do not need any material representation of love. They are fine with being told they are loved. Women need some physical proof, the engagement/wedding rings are a constant material reminder of your love.

2. THE AVERAGE PRICE OF AN ENGAGEMENT RING IN 2015 IS CLOSE TO 6 GRAND. For proof of this you can go to: google.com

I would rather be trapped in a room with 10 annoying as fuck women for an entire day than anyone on this pathetic board. This place is worse than /soc/.

You're welcome
>>
>>16522512
>go on www.usa.com
>complain that people want you to do things the american way
>>
>>16522233
Right away I think there's a problem in your relationship that you two should address before proceeding into getting married, starting a family, etc. Seems like you two have different values.

I think you're being reasonable. There's no sense in going into a huge amount of debt right when you get married. First it's a 6k ring, then it's an expensive wedding, then the top-of-the line house, car, etc.

You can find nice rings at all price ranges. I don't think you should go and get a Cubic Zirconia ring, but at least get something nice that you both can compromise on.

Talk to her about it. Phrase it in terms of there are better uses for the money- take a vacation, put it into savings, use it for a down payment on a house, etc. If she's still unreasonable, beware. She might be a bit too into material possessions to be a good match for you.
>>
File: RsAgfpd.jpg (88KB, 826x890px) Image search: [Google]
RsAgfpd.jpg
88KB, 826x890px
>>16522233

don't get married women can never be satisfied and she will divorce you for almost anything. for example if you make the mistake of becoming emotionally open with her she will leave you for not being manly enough. also you are just increasing your chances of suicide by marrying. men can't deal with divorce as well as women can. lastly is your gf a virgin? because if she is not then you are just paying a big expense on sex while she gave it for free to other men.
>>
>>16523400
>trying to talk a woman out of something she's been indoctrinated to believe since infancy THROUGH LOGIC AND RATIONAL ARGUMENTS

Yeah good luck with that, champ.

OP don't listen to this dumbass.
>>
>>16523531
This desu.

There's nothing in a marriage for men, and everything for women, who divorce trivially for cash and prizes.

OP already started on the wrongest possible foot, you're not even married yet and she's already judging your affection for her needs and the size of your wallet, just call everything off and dump her now or you're in for a world of pain.

DON'T GET MARRIED.
>>
Sounds like you two might not be right for each other at this juncture. That happens. It's not exactly the end of the world.
>>
>>16522233
Even the jewelry business, which is out to get you to spend more than you want, suggests one month's salary for an engagement ring.

If this isn't a red flag, here's what you do.

Go to a reputable jeweler. Tell the salesman your price range and that you'll be in tomorrow with your fiancee. Take his card so you deal with him. Tomorrow bring your girlfriend, he will have prepared a selection of rings in your range (and a little above - he is a salesman) for her to select from. You and he then step aside and you pay for it. She gets a ring she likes, and she never knows the price.
>>
>>16522345

This.

also that whole "If you like it then you shoulda put a ring on it" is basically emotional blackmail. It's like a bitch saying, "you don't buy me expensive shit, some other guy will and I'll blow him instead".
So, yeah, never give into a girl obsessed with tha ring. big red flag right there.
>>
>buy the ring for her
>she dumps you because you are a beta man with no balls and because of the free 6K
>sells the ring for 6K
?????
>>
Why does it make it ok for him to finish it and not marry her over her wanting a nice ring?
That's the same as her finishing it for not getting the nice ring. None of it makes sense.

If you can't afford the ring then it's final. But if you're just deciding not to get it for her because it's too much then she's going to wonder why you don't think she's worth 6k. It's not so much about having a ring worth that much, it's about the statement of it being something she really wants so you want to provide it for her. Wouldn't you do anything to make her happy?
Unlucky for you her taste is expensive.
Maybe she is just pushing to see how far you will go?
It doesn't have to mean she's a money grabbing hoe.
>>
>>16522298
Someone's jelly of my ring.
>>
>>16524463
>It doesn't have to mean she's a money grabbing hoe.

Doesn't have to, but when you look at how divorce courts have treated men, is it really worth the risk, ignoring a potentially huge red flag like that?

Secondly, I don't see her buying him a 6k ring. Is OP not worth that to her? Equality bitch, why can't women be buying the rings?
>>
>>16524468
Could do a genderswap wedding if you want something like that. Guy gets the ring and the dress, girl gets the suit.
>>
well you dun goofed, not having a nerd GF these cost only 300 Bucks search for

carbon6rings.com
>>
Was at a friends place and some of her friends were discussing how much a guy should spend on sn engagement ring. They arrived at the conclusion that 15k was a good price. My mind was blown at some of the reasons they spat out: symbol of how much he loves you, etc. I hope not all women think like this
>>
>>16522233
Unrelated to your post, anon, I thought only I saved pictures of Greek football players, and I'm Russian
>>
>>16522233
depends on what you're making this year. More than a 120k? Buy the shitty ring. If it's less, dump the bitch she's obviously out of her god damned mind!
>>
Maybe its just me but I honestly would be upset if my boyfriend GOT me a ring that cost that much. I was looking at jewelry mags today actually and I really dont get why someone would spend that much on a ring.

I know its sentimental value etc but seriously, I'd be happy with a $250 one that I like.
Putting that much money on a piece of jewelry is stupid to me, think of what you could use that money for.

I think its a serious issue and you need to really consider if youd want to spend your life with her.
>>
>>16524479
Just dropping a price like that is so retarded. The price of the ring should be in direct correlation to what you make in a year. I'd say 5% of that is acceptable. If she asks for more I'd get rid of her.
And it has nothing to do with how much you value her. I love my wife more than anything in this world and I would literally die for her and I didn't spend a dime on an engagement ring. Nor did she expect me too. Because she also thinks a new car was a much better investment than a stupid ring she can show her stupid friends.
I just asked "hey wanna get married?" Boom been married for 10 years now.
>>
>>16522233
Dump that whore. I'm not even reading other replies in this thread. You are right to question your future with a whore like this. If you think this is bad, wait until she gives you the "I won't have sex with you until you give me a credit card" talk.
>>
>>16524609
this.

Seriously if a woman DEMANDS something that expensive just because she WANTS it rather than NEEDING it, she's out of her god damn mind!

If it were a car she needs so she can get to work or even a fucking vacation, but a ring? hahaha fuck you!
>>
>>16522233

Show her these.

http://www.attn.com/stories/3016/engagement-ring-diamonds-scam?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=rerun2&utm_campaign=reruns

http://www.attn.com/stories/2298/engagement-ring-history-diamonds

If she still doesn't understand, you know what to do...
>>
>>16525454
see >>16523565

dumbass
>>
>>16525502

>Marrying/being in a relationship with a person who doesn't have a logical and rational mind.

Who's the dumbass? If you honestly believe that what you linked to me is acceptable then your partner (if you have one) must walk all over you. I took it as sarcasm.
>>
Gama th thn kariola
>>
You're not being too harsh. If she loves the ring more than you it speaks volumes. it should be about the gesture, not the price tag.
>>
>>16522261
>this isn't right if she is unwilling to marry over a ring
Yes, exactly.

If she really loved you she wouldn't care about an artificial status symbol to flaunt around for other people; "look how much money my man is willing to spend on me nyah nyah". That's what the diamond ring is, essentially. The entertainment industry coupled with the diamond industry has very effectively managed to brainwash American women into believing the money blown on this useless luxury item would somehow signify the depth of the man's love, and it's become this sort of arms race between women - you show the ring off to others, hoping that your ring is fancier than theirs.

It's total bullshit of course because diamonds, especially, have very low resale value, so it's just empty money blown on something to brag about. If your gf really makes that into a tiebreaker question and is refusing to marry you unless you blow several thousands on something useless just so she can brag to other women about it, I'd really reconsider if you want to marry someone that materialistic and shallow.

Didn't read the thread yet but here are a couple of interesting articles regarding the artificial "tradition" of diamond engagement rings (completely created by advertising agencies) and how diamond rings are a shit financial decision:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ira-weissman/7-reasons-why-you-shouldn_b_1720870.html
http://www.edwardjayepstein.com/diamond.htm

Have your gf read them and then ask her to give your good reasons on why the hell should you blow the money on a useless scam status symbol, instead of for example something that'll actually hold its value, or a luxury holiday, or something other worthwhile
>>
>>16524463
Because it's super mercenary to go "Oh sure I "love" you but I require a cash deposit of x amount or no deal". It's much different from going "I love you and want to marry you but I don't want to spend shitloads of money on useless trinkets because finances are tight". One is essentially prostitution, the other is being responsible with money.

I get that you wanted a really expensive ring, don't quite like how this thread is making your position seem rather superficial and greedy (because it is) and are trying to defend your wanting the sparkly fancy ring with "oh but the average price of a ring is 6k these days" and "if you loved her you'd do it, to show her you care" but that's bullshit. Love isn't supposed to be bought with cash, love doesn't work the way that the woman demands x amount or she'll stop loving the dude. All that "wouldn't you do anything to make her happy" is just a smokescreen to hide how much it all smacks like prostitution - "I'm worth this much per night/year, if you can't pay it no deal". Real love doesn't require people to overspend so much they have to get bank loans or save up on useless gifts because that's terrible and irresponsible housekeeping.
>>
>>16522233
>Gf wants a 6k engagement ring from me. Told her that's not happening. She's super upset. Is she the right girl for me if she doesn't want to marry me over a stupid ring?

If that's what she wants, fine. It's okay to covet. But she has absolutely no right to be angry with you, especially when she knows how much you make. When I got engaged, because we were both poor at the time, he just gave me a really cute 25 cent ring from a vending machine (spent a while and a few dozen quarters to get the one he had wanted). I was ecstatic and still have the ring many years later. For our actual rings, we had two matching silver bands engraved with a message. When we lost weight, we bought two matching bands made of solid ebony wood--very beautiful and simple. Nothing was over $100, but it was the thought that counts.

When you genuinely want to be with (and love) someone, you don't throw a fit about something as stupid as a goddamn ring. She sounds like the type of person that's in love with the idea of getting married, but not in love with the person she's marrying. If/When you do get married, she's going to be more demanding. It's always going to be about what you can do for her, and how she can show off to her friends. I know that type well.

>>16522275
>She was implying it along the lines that I'm unwilling to give her what she wants.
You don't want to chain yourself to this type of person. You will always be her slave, and she'll dig you into a giant hole of debt.
>>
You need to take a good two steps back and think about a lot of things here. First of all, $6000 is not that much for an engagement ring. It's on the lower-average end. That's the industry. Get used to it.

If you can't afford a $6000 ring, how the fuck are you even planning on affording the wedding? Do you know how expensive those things are?

Your girlfriend and you are on different pages here. She wants the wifey dream- nice ring, nice husband, good financial situation. You seem to be fine with where you are. There will be more problems from here on out and you two will probably not last unless there is some serious talking done. What she wants, you cannot provide. You need to understand that and she needs to understand that. What she's asking for, a $6000 ring, is not that much. Do you even have a stable career that this much money is bothering you? Marriage isn't just about love. You need to be able to provide and support- not just emotionally, but financially too.
>>
My ring was just under $18,000.00 because he saw it as a way of stating how much he would invest in me. Time, energy, and I gues this represented the money??
Either way I appreciate it, although we always talked about how we would get his&her engagement watches (watch lovers) instead.
I grew up superpoor but my mothers ring was still around $5,000. I don't get the importance of it, desu.
Either way it's something that sits on your finger and it's not really doing much else.
Get a car for $6,000.00
>>
>>16526949
>$6000 is not that much for an engagement ring
6K is a shit ton of money for a single piece of jewellery, dude. It is a shit ton of money to be carrying on you every day on an easy-to-steal-or-lose form. Trying to support blowing that amount of money on something that is essentially a useless luxury item because "that's what the merchants tell you you should spend" is frankly stupid.

And a wedding is as expensive as you make it. It depends on the people and how much you want to spend and what style of wedding do they choose to have. Part of starting up a family is being financially responsible, and that includes realistically spending within your means and not overspending money on luxury items because it represents the lifestyle you'd like, regardless of whether you can actually afford it.
>>
>>16524466
Not that guy but no, because I could buy that ring tomorrow and not feel it financially.

Now that that's out of the way, the guy you are responding to is right. You are not worth the ring if you get caught up in the price tag of the ring. Especially a diamond, the most boring, unscintillating stone that could be set in jewelry. The demand for which is manufactured and price controlled because of how common the stone is. Diamonds. Eugh. Should be used for commercial and industrial uses primarily.

But even if the stone were worth the expense, what a waste of money. Think about how much safer you could have been in retirement with 30 years of compounding return on that money. Think about how much instant savings in future interest you could have both gained from putting that towards debt.

it's a ring. if a ring defines your relationship... I don't want you or your relationship.
>>
>>16526994
>6K is a shit ton of money for a single piece of jewellery, dude.
Look, how old are you? I don't mean that in the underageb& sense, but just to put things into perspective. There's a reason the age people are getting married has been going up. These are the things that come with marriage. The ring? The wedding? The actual marriage? Don't even get me started on the honeymoon. It's a big, expensive step in your life that you need to be in the proper financial position to assume. When you have a good, stable career, then you can go buy that useless luxury item (side note- OP if you're the type of guy that's low maintenance and not really big on spending a lot, you need to find a girl that fits your lifestyle). Don't rush into marriage. It's better in the long run to let a girl who you, for lack of a better phrase, can't afford than to jump right in to please her.

The ring I bought my wife cost just over $20,000. I was 35 and she was 32. I believe we were actually above the average age for getting married, but I think that's even better. We were both in a financial situation where this ring would not take too much out of our budget. I'm not saying OP needs to spend $20,000 on a ring. I'm not saying OP even needs to spend the $6000 on the ring right now. I'm just saying that if $6000 is a big deal and OP is describing himself as a poorfag, then there are definitely going to be more problems in the long run and he needs to sit down and think about these things.

OP, yes, you may love this girl, but you will meet another girl if this does not work out- and it very well could not work out. Don't even consider bringing marriage into the image when you're already having these sorts of arguments with your girlfriend.
>>
>>16522255
Trap is set.
Bail out.
>>
>>16527041
Over thirty. I just don't think that buying engagement rings that are significantly more expensive than any other piece of jewellery you'd be comfortable wearing around every day is in any way reasonable or practical. The ring should be symbolic, not a part of the bride price you "have" to pay in order to get her to marry you. There's just something inherently disgusting imo in this notion of buying a woman with an as-expensive-as-you-can-afford trinket and women then gleefully comparing how much their men paid for them, I'm worth more than you nyah nyah.

>The ring I bought my wife cost just over $20,000
I think you're an idiot then, sorry.

Again, getting married in itself isn't expensive. It's people being brainwashed into believing that you "have" to blow a shit ton of money on the dress, on the party, on the honeymoon because that's what the industry and media tells them that makes it expensive. People should manage to adjust their expenses to their income and lifestyle instead of just copying the external trappings of the lifestyle lived by people who earn a lot more than them.
>>
>>16522255
>It's basically me vs her and her mother.
You're still with a child, if her mother is essentially ruling her major thought processes. Even if she's an amazing person, this isn't coming from nowhere. You're going to have to deal with her shitty, greedy family.
>>
>>16527041

Not that anon, but:

>These are the things that come with marriage.
You honestly don't have to spend that much if you're practical. We spent about $500 total on the wedding and the ring combined, and we were incredibly happy with how everything turned out. It was more cash for us to use for the honeymoon, house, and car--things we actually need. We don't make a lot of money, but it's not necessary for our lifestyle.

I completely agree with you in that they both want different things and it's probably not going to end well. She'll resent him, and because her mother is likely pushing for this, there are going to be serious issues later on. The umbilical cord needs to be snipped.
>>
>>16527041
>big problems if you can't afford a $6,000 ring
You do realize that the median US income is around $50K, right? There are tons of people with degrees and professional jobs (laboratory technician, nurse, teacher, etc) that aren't even making that, more like $35K. Just because someone can't spend $6,000 on an engagment ring, much less $20,000, doesn't mean they shouldn't get married and will have tons of problems, you clueless privileged fuckwit.
>>
>>16526873
I didn't ask for the ring to cost so much, it just did. I picked it without knowing prices. He took me to Tiffany, it was probably was the cheapest thing they had.
>>
Her mother is involved? You're really fucked. Be ready for this to be the way it is for the rest of time. You're about to set the precedent.

Don't get married.
>>
File: 0.jpg (38KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
38KB, 460x276px
>>16522233
I'll just leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oJdo0HY7cc
>>
>>16522233
Greetings lad, richfag here. I'm willing to give you the 6k (I'm assuming Euros?). But instead of buying a ring for her, I want you to get yourself a watch valued at 6k. After this, you should bail. You don't want to be stuck with a woman like that. Cheers.
>>
>>16524600
>I just asked "hey wanna get married?" Boom been married for 10 years now.
I'm curious, did you guys go for no rings altogether or just some basic gold bands?
>>
>>16522233
>6k
jesus christ

just dump her now, she is far too materialistic and probably trying to cash in on the ring
>>
>>16527041
>>16526949
>The ring I bought my wife cost just over $20,000. I was 35 and she was 32

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA

You're in no position to proselytize anybody, you bluepilled beta faggot.

Enjoy your dead bedroom + divorce rape in 3... 2...
>>
>>16524600
>The price of the ring should be in direct correlation to what you make in a year.
literally die
>>
>>16526949
my wedding was 60 bucks
her ring was 250

>marrying a woman over 25
you are literally, unironically a kekold
>>
>>16522271
>immature, whiny, self-centered child
Isn't that like, most women out there?
>>
>>16527164
Yeah, those were both phenomenally stupid posts. Like, what -- people to whom $6,000 is a large sum just shouldn't get married? Because that's most of the country.

And treating it as "just the way things are, man, live with it" is idiotic. Most of my friends are married or engaged and so far as I know none of them spent even $1000 on a ring. My fiancée would have been actively disgusted at $6000. Like, "do you have any idea what we could have done with that?"
>>
>>16527179
>inb4 his 32 year old bride wasnt a virgin or was even a single mother
>>
>>16527181
Worse.

>>16527041
>We were both in a financial situation where this ring would not take too much out of our budget
>We were both
>both
He married a post-wall career-woman.
>>
>>16527184
>He married a post-wall career-woman.
oy vey

no wonder op dropped 20k on a ring
>>
>>16526949
>$6000 is not that much for an engagement ring. It's on the lower-average end.
I'm curious as to where this statistical information comes from. From the jewellery industry? The same people who invented completely out of thin air the """"tradition"""" of how the useless luxury product they're selling is actually a fundamental aspect of romance and should cost the man's 1 month salary, wait no we meant 2 months, (oh shit they're buying it) oh actually the "tradition" says 3 months?

I mean, of course the jewellery industry will try to sell the most expensive rings possible. They've upped the "traditionally recommended price" of the ring from 1 to 3 months salary, they invented the tradition and the traditional price completely out of thin air - I'm sure they'd be more than happy to get people to believe 10K rings are "average" and actually "not that expensive, since it's not real love unless you blow a shit ton of money on our product :3"
>>
>>16523445
>2. THE AVERAGE PRICE OF AN ENGAGEMENT RING IN 2015 IS CLOSE TO 6 GRAND. For proof of this you can go to: google.com

So say any Jewlers or whoever makes a profit from Jewlers income.

Seriously - Engagement rings and other Jewlery used to be a very rare purchase traditionally passed down when youngsters get married. It's a relativley new phenomenon that wrinkley old bats hoarde the family jewels in their decaying houses.

1, Ask your family if they would like to donate an old ring or two - perhaps getting it re-worked a little to freshen it then decide if this girl is willing to become part of your family with such a token as this.

This is when you will be deciding between marrying her and losing your family - or gathering her into your family.

This is a test - do you have balls or not?
>>
>>16523445
>THE AVERAGE PRICE OF AN ENGAGEMENT RING IN 2015 IS CLOSE TO 6 GRAND
>>16526949
>$6000 is not that much for an engagement ring. It's on the lower-average end

Oh, that's funny. According to American Express, The average engagement ring cost in 2014 was $2311. Also
> 38 percent of people were more conservative, citing $1,000 or less as an acceptable price range
http://www.womenshealthmag.com/sex-and-love/engagement-ring-cost

Also, new research from Emory University suggests that the pricier the ring and the wedding, the higher the chances for divorce:
>Economics professors from Emory University surveyed 3,000 U.S. adults who had been married at some point in their lives and found that participants who spent large sums of money on engagement rings and/or their weddings were more likely to end up divorced.
>Men who spent $2,000 to $4,000 on engagement rings were 1.3 times more likely to end up divorced than men who spent $500 to $2,000. Women who received expensive engagement rings also experienced higher rates of divorce.
>Women whose weddings cost $20,000 or more were 3.5 times more likely to end up divorced than women who spent $5,000 to $10,000
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/03/expensive-weddings-study_n_5929056.html

Hmmm.
>>
>>16527041
a long time ago it was said that the ring should cost about 2 months of income. If you're making 120k, you can fucking afford that ring, and live on 'just' 100k for a year.
Somehow I don't think the OP gets 36k annually.
>>
I think the issue is that men and women are competitive and social in different ways. It's important for both to realize. Men do plenty of things to compete with each other, or for their own pride, that women think are stupid. Same with what women do. Different social circles value different things. Simple example: Men might get teased for being short. Women might be teased for being tall. Likewise, for men spending so much on an engagement ring could label them as a beta kek to other men. A woman getting a cheap engagement ring, I suppose in 4chan terms, she'd be a knockoff fleshlight.
>>
>>16527144
Greetings anon. How do we go about closing this deal?
Thread posts: 97
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.