[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are Americans so annoying?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

File: fahrenheit.jpg (20KB, 260x211px) Image search: [Google]
fahrenheit.jpg
20KB, 260x211px
Whenever I ask stuff on /adv/ or anywhere else such as "Should I pick Maths or Actuarial Science", Americans will immediately say "Are you an idiot? You can't do the latter as an undergraduate!". Don't they realize that the college/university system works completely different in pretty much every other country on earth and you can pick Medicine, Law, Engineering, Pharmacy, etc?
>>
>>16508267
*pick Medicine, Law, Engineering, Pharmacy, etc as an undergraduate major
>>
>>16508267
its not america, it's /adv/
when you asked that question i thought to myself, is op an idiot?
>>
american college is the gold standard. in fact much of the time if you were to get a degree in another country it would be worthless here.
My friend is a biologist from brazil, or at least she was. if he wants to be a biologist here she needs to go to college again here and get an american biology degree because the 3rd world ones are worthless.
which is what shes doing by the way
>>
>>16508275
Well since /adv/ is not a solely American sites, why do Americans jump to the conclusion that I'm American when I ask "Should I pick Maths or Actuarial Science". They should be aware of the fact that you can pick Actuarial Science, Law, etc in pretty much all other countries on earth. It's similar to how only Americans use Fahrenheit and they should realize how "unique" their system is.
>>
>>16508267
Why are you speaking English if Americans are so annoying. Go post on whatever board your third world country provides.
>>
>>16508283
I have no desire to move to America. (Get a Fine Art degree and end up at Starbucks? No lol. Even some American degrees are worthless in America. Look at how many college students end up in retail) What I'm saying is why do Americans on /adv/ reply to these career threads as if all posters are American/want to study aboard in America? That's certainly not always the case! And they should realize that the education system is different in all other countries!
>>
also celsius is retarded to use for humans. We talk about temperature and weather in relation to how comfortable it is outside. Why are you using a system based on what happens to water? so in cold places or during the winter is is below zero every single fucking day, and in the summer even in the hottest places you will never even approach 100. What kind of sense does that make to use?

how about this
0 is fucking cold, 100 is fucking hot, anywhere in between there is where you want to be, anything outside of that is extreme and dangerous weather to be out in.
>>
>>16508290
Everyone speaks English on /adv/ - Brits, Aussies, Germans, Thais, Norwegians, etc.
>>
>>16508299
Geez every other country on earth uses Celsius.
>>
>>16508283
>american college is the gold standard. in fact much of the time if you were to get a degree in another country it would be worthless here.
HAHAHA... america is the nr 1 importer of brains. but those brains go to murrica AFTER being educated elsewhere.
I wonder what would happen if no one bothered going to the US anymore...

also, where, do you think, universities come from?
>>
>>16508299
>also celsius is retarded to use for humans
0 when water freezes, 100 when it boils, 1 kelvin = 1 celsius... how is that retarded? quite the contrary...
>>
>>16508267
I've run into this issue every time I ask about Mechatronics. In most countries in the world, Mechatronics is an extremely prestigious degree, but for whatever reason in the US it's called something else.
>>
>>16508307
nothing wrong with celcius for science, but its dumb to use it when you are discussing comfortable temperature

fahrenheit is much more precise when it comes to the temperatures humans live in.
if you go with C you basically have 30 degrees between bundled up in layers, and sweating your balls off
with F you have about 55-60 within that same range. Smaller increments = more precision when it comes to what I should wear or bring with me when I go outside
>>
>>16508317
Where are you from?
>>
>>16508324
you are contradicting yourself. as you say, comfortable temps are a range, not a fixed degree. you can give ranges in C or F, and it would be the same

stop bullshitting, stop defending the indefensible, you are just mad and making up "arguments" m8
>>
File: 1448670885535.png (5KB, 239x258px) Image search: [Google]
1448670885535.png
5KB, 239x258px
>>16508287
>Well since /adv/ is not a solely American sites, why do Americans jump to the conclusion that I'm American

Because the majority of posters are American. Sure it's not 100%, but it's a safe bet generally speaking. If you're looking for advice that isn't applicable in the states, you should explicitly state so. Or go to Krautchan I guess.

>>16508299
>also celsius is retarded to use for humans. We talk about temperature and weather in relation to how comfortable it is outside. Why are you using a system based on what happens to water?

The unit we use to measure temperature is relative, and we may as well base it around the most important and common liquid we have. Even the Fahrenheit system worked on a similar premise, just with 1 part ice and 1 part salt.

This seems like a particularly minor thing to be so fanny flustered over.
>>
>>16508347
>Because the majority of posters are American
No. Go to /int/ and there are tonnes of Canadians, Germans, French people, Dutch people and Nordic people on that site.
>>
>>16508339
its not a contradiction at all
do you have an air conditioner that works in half degrees?
I can find a more comfortable temperature on mine much more easily than you can on yours because I am working within a larger incremental range
lets say for example we just use 0-100F as our baseline
I have 100 degrees of temperature to work within. For you that would be -17-37, so you have 40 degrees to work within
I have 60 more options than you do when adjusting the temperature in my house. based on that I think we can all agree my system is more precise and applicable than yours.
>>
>>16508352
Have you forgotten what /int/ stands for friendo? International. It's always attracted a more diverse crowd. On the flipside, same thing applies to Krautchan int. Lots of Americans on /int/, but few on the other boards.

On top of that, here are the official numbers for 4chan

>Location: United States (47%), United Kingdom (8%), Canada (6%), Australia (5%), Germany (4%), France (2%), Sweden (2%), Netherlands (2%), Poland (1.5%), Brazil (1.5%)
http://www.4chan.org/advertise

Assuming someone is American is a pretty safe bet here.

>>16508367
You know that decimal points are a thing right? It's not like a thermostat is restricted to whole numbers.
>>
>>16508377
More than half is non-American, no?
>>
>>16508382
It's practically a coin toss. So sure, I slightly overestimated it but the point still stands. It isnt just half American half Euro, its half American half the rest of the world. If we had to guess where someone was from, I think we'd all make the same one.
>>
>>16508377
>You know that decimal points are a thing right?
right so you have to work within half degrees. How does that make more sense than just using a system that allows you to use round numbers? Your system isn't as good if you have to start breaking it down to make it fit with every day life.
>It's not like a thermostat is restricted to whole numbers
digital ones are. At least here. If you have digital ones that give you decimals that only further proves my point.
Do you actually say "hmm its 1.6 degrees out, better bring a sweater"? maybe it makes more sense to just say 35 degrees and call it a day
>>
>>16508367
>do you have an air conditioner that works in half degrees?
man, you are seriously retarded
>>
>>16508398
>digital ones are. At least here. If you have digital ones that give you decimals that only further proves my point.
My thermostat works with decimals and is in Fahrenheit friendo.

>maybe it makes more sense to just say 35 degrees and call it a day
In which case I'd call it about 0 celsius if that was the system I was used to. This is incredibly autistic. You'd think they used Kelvin with the way you're going on about it.
>>
>>16508414
I'm right, if you think C is a better system in regards to weather you are objectively incorrect. I'm just trying to make your life easier.

youre welcome
>>
>>16508267
I took the P in freshman year. You can totally do it.

I ditched becoming an Actuary because of how intensely boring studying for the P was, but you can do it. Actuarial is great for anyone willing to take the exams.
>>
>>16508299
>celsius is retarded to use for humans
I'm an American who spent many years abroad and am required to regularly convert things back and forth between imperial and metric for my job (merchant marine officer)

using miles over km is retarded, using pounds and tons over kg is retarded

using Fahrenheit over celsius is nothing more than personal preference, neither system is better than the other
>>
>>16508463
at what point is snow formed?
>>
>>16508299
> Why are you using a system based on what happens to water? so in cold places or during the winter is is below zero every single fucking day, and in the summer even in the hottest places you will never even approach 100.

Have you ever heard of negative numbers?

fucking dumbass
>>
I lost the game
>>
As Americans, we can just do whatever we want and expect everyone to either do it too or accommodate us, with the knowledge that the way we do thing is the best and that we are the best, and we don't really care what anyone else thinks. It's called being privileged and its awesome
>>
>>16508470
the freezing point, 0 celsius and 32 fahrenheit, water turns to vapor at 100 celsius and 212 fahrenheit

yeah the numbers aren't round but there's only two of them and its not like you even need to know the temperature of boiling. With C you would walk outside and think hmm it must be only 5 degrees I need a jacket, with F you would have the exact same thought but say to yourself low 40's.
>>
>>16508367
My cars a/c does 1/2 a degree Celsius, just saying
>>
>>16508298
usually the idiots who come out of their degree and end up working starbucks after their degree are the kids that didn't set realistic career goals or picked a major that doesn't have a lot of employment opportunities
>>
>>16508501
so, you were arguing about how precise F is in terms of natural/integer numbers... and now you are saying that you have to guess the temp outside. top kek
also, do you understand that humidity, temp of air play roles in what "comfortable temp" means, right?
stop arguing, you retard
>>
>>16508512
No, a lot of others also end up at Starbucks:
https://www.reddit.com/r/starbucks/comments/373e17/college_grads_why_are_you_at_starbucks_are_you/
Look: "My store's partners: 2 history, 1 creative writing, 1 molecular biology, 1 marketing, 1 economics, 1 computer science, 1 pre-med, 1 law and justice, 1 French, 1 Spanish, 1 psychology. All of us have a college education."
Economics and Marketing sounds good
>>
>>16508514
I'm not trying to "win an argument" idiot, this isn't some fucking console wars thread.
>>
>>16508518
picking marketing or economics doesn't automatically guarantee someone a career after graduating.
>>
>>16508290
>Why are you speaking English if Americans are so annoying
Maybe he's fucking English?
>>
>>16508299
We talk about temperature and weather in relation to how comfortable it is outside
How the fuck does Fahrenheit do that any better, you retard?
>Why are you using a system based on what happens to water?
Because it makes sense for 0 & below to be the point that snow and frozen lakes can occur?
>>
>>16508267

You're a retard for not specifying your country/education system/etc and obviously this board is mostly Americans so if you haven't specified otherwise, people will assume you are American, fucking kill yourself...
>>
>>16508540
I know. The underemployment rate in America is so high. For goodness sake, a Law graduate may even end up in retail: http://www.businessinsider.com/law-grad-working-retail-2013-12
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.