[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Boss is micro managing me

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: Micro Managing.jpg (50KB, 636x358px) Image search: [Google]
Micro Managing.jpg
50KB, 636x358px
I'm new at my job, and so far it's been great. It's just a retail job so nothing too high end or career orientated. I have three managers, and one of them is micro managing me (and other staff) to the max.

The other two managers are lovely, helpful, friendly and open to have a chat. The other one in question not only micro-manages staff, but she's cold, sociopathic, unfriendly, eccentric, unhelpful, completely ignores you a lot, and disappears often when apparently "helping" with the job at hand.

I've even been micro-managed to the point of almost at closing time, everyone is winding down, not much work to do in the afternoon and I'm the only one being asked to do extra jobs, even as close to 5 minutes before shutting the store.

The manager pretty much got stern with me and slightly angry today and said I'd been standing around talking all day, when in reality I'd been working and had made plenty of sales for the company, albeit talking to my co-workers throughout the day, as you do with any other job to try and keep your sanity.

I spoke to my other manager about it and they said that they'd sort it out next week. I don't think I'm in trouble or anything, but as I've only been with the company for a short while, I really don't know where I stand. Although I've been told everyone in the store doesn't like this particular manager, nor do the other two managers who know exactly what they are like to deal with.

tl;dr sociopathic, unfriendly manager is micro-managing me, i'm new to the job, other two managers are cool, told one of them and said they'd sort it out next week, complaints from other staff haven't been dealt with yet.
>>
Get over it, new guy.
>>
>>16484862
Good advice faggot. I've spoken to every single staff member, including the managers, and the other managers don't get along with her at all. Others have made complains yet nothing has happened.
>>
>>16484840
You're still new, so you really have to prove yourself to the others. Keep your head down, your mouth shut, and go above and beyond what's expected of you. Take initiative. I pretty much had to do this, and now everyone turns to me when they need a go-getter to get shit done. People that were hesitant when I first started love me.
>>
>>16484840
>i'm new to the job
How new? First thing's first. Learn how to do everything the right way before taking shortcuts. Also, since you're new, try to minimize the amount of talking and standing around you do, even if you think you're doing it within reason. When you're new, you need to establish yourself with your best foot forward.

>>16484840
>manager is micro-managing me
It's going to be annoying, but you have to play into their dumb games. One of the best ways to appease these people is to pretend you give a shit about what they're saying. Try to be proactive and go out of your way to ask them how they'd do something. Beat them to the punch and ask for advice about stuff before they give it to you. Then do it exactly how they describe. It makes them feel powerful, as well as understood/appreciated if you take their advice with a smile.

>>16484840
>complaints from other staff haven't been dealt with yet.
Here's the issue. Depending on how long you've been there, you might want to take your complaint up the ladder until you find someone who's willing to listen to you. Just be sure not to go over your other managers' heads before they confirm that they won't do anything to help you.
>>
>>16484881
It's not that because I'm new that the manager is doing it. I was warned when I started by several employees that this is what the manager was like. I've been there for over six weeks now and it's getting worse.

I feel as if I'm being personally targeted. It makes me not want to even be there, despite every other staff member being incredibly welcoming and friendly.

No matter how much work I get done, when I'm seen or appearing to be doing nothing I get honed in on and sent off to do some stupid menial task, and spoken to like a child.
>>
>>16484887
>How new?
About six weeks. I've learnt almost every department, and pretty much know my entire way around the store, and I can be easily left alone to do my own work competently like a normal functioning adult. I don't take shortcuts, I do the job the proper way that I was taught.
>take your complaint up the ladder
I was told by another colleague to do this, and one of them said they'd back my claims as several others have been reduced to tears by comments this manager has made to them in the past.
>Just be sure not to go over your other managers heads before they confirm that they won't do anything to help you
I spoke to one of the other managers today. She was incredibly understanding and it was as if she really felt for me because I felt like I couldn't do anything right around her. She said she'll sort it out next week, but other than that I didn't really get any direct answers. But I was glad I spoke to her first, instead of just jumping over her straight to the area manager.
>>
>>16484888
>I feel as if I'm being personally targeted.
You probably are. Do what you can to make sure she has no reason to be shitty towards you.

>No matter how much work I get done, when I'm seen or appearing to be doing nothing I get honed in on and sent off to do some stupid menial task, and spoken to like a child.
Some bosses are just like that, but you have to really step up your game when they're around. It's not going to magically get better once they talk with her, she'll just hold a grudge against you.

>when I'm seen or appearing to be doing nothing
This is part of the problem. Even if you're not busy, find something to do to make yourself LOOK busy. I'm quick and tend to finish my tasks early so I'll either do some deep cleaning or help other coworkers that may need help. No one says shit to me anymore.
>>
>>16484903
>You probably are
But why? I am doing my job, and I was making good sales today, on a busy weekend. I even checked and I'd made over $1500 in sales for the company, yet she claims I was "talking all day".
>Some bosses are just like that
I hope she doesn't last long, she's apparently on trial and a survey was put out to all staff and she apparently got shockingly bad reviews. A good manager should be liked and respected by their colleagues. Not feared and loathed.
>Even if you're not busy, find something to do to make yourself LOOK busy
I need to learn to do this better, although I've even been picked on while I'm currently in the middle of certain tasks.

Christ, I feel like it's going to be 100% impossible to find a job where all of the managers are nice, reasonable people. There's always one that's there to make your life a misery.
>>
>>16484902
> I don't take shortcuts, I do the job the proper way that I was taught.
Good. Assuming you're going to escalate the issue if it goes unfixed, then you definitely need to make sure you're doing everything perfectly to protect yourself. You don't need that bitch giving you write ups for stupid things.

>>16484902
> several others have been reduced to tears by comments this manager has made to them in the past
Well now, sounds like you've got a good case already.

>>16484902
>She said she'll sort it out next week
I don't know you, your situation or your manager, but be weary. In my experience, there's been a handful of managers who did their jobs and actually took care of issues like this, but the majority are all talk. You definitely will not have been the first person to complain about her, and you probably won't be the last. I really do hope your manager sorts this stuff out for you, but you need to be prepared to defend yourself in the -- sadly pretty likely -- chance that they do little or nothing to help you. Just make sure you go through the motions. Also, write down the dates of the days you told other managers about this stuff. Have those dates handy when you take the issue higher. Be sure to use words like "Hostile work environment". Also, be ready for a few people to be pissed off that you brought it higher up. That's why you need to perform perfectly for a while.
>>
>>16484956
>Well now, sounds like you've got a good case already
Yes, I spoke to a couple of the girls I work with, and one of them told me she was reduced to tears because she kept picking on her, and making implications that she was fat. She's a real nasty manager. I think she's got some several mental issues. I've no idea how she got the job.
>In my experience, there's been a handful of managers who did their jobs and actually took care of issues like this, but the majority are all talk.
>You definitely will not have been the first person to complain about her, and you probably won't be the last.
>Just make sure you go through the motions. Also, write down the dates of the days you told other managers about this stuff. Have those dates handy when you take the issue higher. Be sure to use words like "Hostile work environment".
These are all excellent points, thanks for pointing these out to me.

>Also, be ready for a few people to be pissed off that you brought it higher up.
Thanks for saying this, but if everyone hates her, why would people be pissed off at me for trying to make the work environment a better place?

One of my co-workers said he's even considered quitting over her, but would likely stay if she's not kept on as manager.
>>
>>16484840
Instead of complaining, which could hurt you, you should have said to one of the other managers something like "Thanks for the help [or whatever]. You're a lot more supportive than Mary, and I appreciate it." Then he/she would have asked what's wrong with Mary, and you'd just be answering the questing, not being a trouble-maker.

Meanwhile, though, you do not succeed in making "Mary" sound all that bad. After all, it IS your job to work and not chat, and she might be a more accurate judge than you of how much chat is acceptable, just as she is only doing her job in expecting you to work right up to quitting time. (You're being paid right up to quitting time, after all.)
>>
>>16484977
>Instead of complaining, which could hurt you, you should have said to one of the other managers something like "Thanks for the help [or whatever]. You're a lot more supportive than Mary, and I appreciate it."
That's close to what I did today. I'm not very great in confrontation, and I get flustered and anxious, (suffer from anxiety and depression) I'll admit, but I'm an adult, and I sucked up the courage to ask my other (nicer) manager if I was doing anything wrong. I said "I'm getting conflicting answers, (manager) is telling me I'm doing this wrong etc etc. She was understanding, and she was very kind about it, and said she'd sort it out next week.

As the other anon pointed out, some bosses may empathise with you, but nothing may come of it, although I'm yet to find out as it only happened today.
>>
File: 1442962703779.jpg (50KB, 408x439px) Image search: [Google]
1442962703779.jpg
50KB, 408x439px
>>16484966
>These are all excellent points, thanks for pointing these out to me.
Sure thing. Those are all just things I wish I had known sooner at certain points in my life.

>>16484966
>if everyone hates her, why would people be pissed off at me for trying to make the work environment a better place?
You might be surprised. First of all, managers tend to think of themselves as an exclusive club and oftentimes look out for one another. It isn't uncommon for a manager to listen to complaints from other employees, and rather than take it up with the general/area manager, they just run straight to the person in question and gossip. There also might be some lower employees who like this manager, and will hold a grudge against you for it. One really big one is if your area manager feels threatened by your complaints. Keep in mind that all internal disputes like this end up being egg on your area manager's face when they're under review, ESPECIALLY if word gets to a district manager about it. Your area manager might just try and defend the person you have a problem with and say stupid things like "Were they wrong?"

I had a similar situation in Taco Bell a long time ago when I put a stop to the night shift working off the clock all the time. I told everyone that working off the clock was just hiding the problem, and that the only way to break to cycle is to just stop. I ended up getting a lot of bad attitude from managers, especially the general manager, since they all gossiped about the things that I said, like my willingness to take the issue as high as I needed to take it to make it stop.

All in all, just try to keep it as drama free as possible. People have a tendency to let their childishness come to work with them, and you can't get sucked in, or nothing will ever get fixed.
>>
>>16484988
>some bosses may empathise with you, but nothing may come of it
The main thing you have to remember is that a lot of managers are weasels. If you think that bringing this issue up and essentially throwing someone under the bus is awkward, imagine having to be the one to tell that manager as their boss that you've heard some bad things about her. I'm pretty sure that's why it's so hard to get anything done -- It's usually only the higher management that has a lot of experience in dealing with uncomfortable situations, which is why you definitely shouldn't hesitate to take it as high as you need to. That's a mistake most people make.

A lot of bosses will try to intimidate you out of your complaints, like setting up 1 on 1 meetings with people who have a problem with each other and other such things.
>>
>>16485000
>managers tend to think of themselves as an exclusive club and oftentimes look out for one another.
The only reason (in my case) that I believe this to be untrue is that the manager in question is new, and is on trial, and both the other managers were unhappy with the decision to hire her as they were both in line to get her job. Not only that, they've both personally expressed their feelings about her towards myself.
>One really big one is if your area manager feels threatened by your complaints.
Being a legitimate business, I understand the need for things to be seen to be running as smoothly as possible. On the other hand, sweeping issues under the rug literally doesn't solve the problem at all. A good, legitimate company would try and sort out problems like this no?
>Your area manager might just try and defend the person you have a problem with and say stupid things like "Were they wrong?"
I see what you're saying, and I really hope this isn't the case, as she's on trial and her reviews were pretty bad.
>>
>>16485000
>>16484988
>>16484977
>>16484966
Also, look at these fucking gets
>>
>>16485012
>A lot of bosses will try to intimidate you out of your complaints, like setting up 1 on 1 meetings with people who have a problem with each other and other such things.
I've experienced similar things at jobs in the past. If it continues for the next week, and I definitely feel as if I'm being targeted, I will take it up to the area manager. I will explain as clearly and simply as possible.

The only other issue is, trying to get the area manager one on one, and potentially when said manager isn't working that day.

Also, should I get other people to back me, if possible? Would being a newer employee jeopardise my own position?
>>
>>16485014
>The only reason (in my case) that I believe this to be untrue...
Well that's good. You're already better off than a lot of people are in bad workplace situations.

>>16485014
>A good, legitimate company would try and sort out problems like this no?
Depends on how serious the business is. Unless we're talking about an important, technical job, people tend not to be SUPER serious until you get up into general or district manager levels. Keep in mind, the ENTIRE store you work at is the responsibility of the area/general manager. Information will generally only come to the district manager through him or her, so all of the stupid shit and conflict will tend to stay below the area/general manager. They want as little of that to show as possible, and that means trying to solve issues in house, as well as sweeping things under the rug from time to time.

People are usually surprised with how effective and efficient it can be to just go to a higher manager for their problems since they'll be used to the basic managers just trying to handle everything themselves. Upper levels is where there's infinitely more pressure to play things by the rules since the stakes are much higher.
>>
File: 1442831822814.jpg (45KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1442831822814.jpg
45KB, 320x320px
Time for me to sleep. Good luck and god speed to you, OP.
>>
>>16485034
>Upper levels is where there's infinitely more pressure to play things by the rules since the stakes are much higher.
That makes me feel more convinced that if I actually want some action to be taken I'll have to take it up higher because they'll know it's more serious knowing that they've got more authority.
>>16485039
Thank you so much, I really, really appreciate it.
>>
Bumping. I'm still here.
>>
>>16484840
Tbh you sound like the whiney women I work with
>>
>>16484840
mind telling me what store OP or what state? this sounds like my old manager to a T.
Basically I just started dodging her as best I could while still getting my work done.
>>
>>16485022
>I've experienced similar things at jobs in the past.

Might that suggest that you are part of the problem here?
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.