[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My gf wants me to get into books for real. How should I go about this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: loneley.jpg (8KB, 243x250px) Image search: [Google]
loneley.jpg
8KB, 243x250px
Should I go along and try to get into if so what book? If not what do I do.
>>
Buy the game and read it when she's around.
>>
What kind of books?
What interests you? horror, fantasy, etc.
>>
Idk I havn't tried
>>
Try to find a book with a title along the lines:

Why women who push their bf's to read books suck ass
>>
>>16472911
>Idk I havn't tried
Jesus Christ. You've never intentionally read a book that looked interesting? You sound like a fucking illiterate bore.
>>
confirmed for under aged fag
>>
>>16473020
>calling someone a bore for not reading books
>there aren't 5673492374983 other ways of entertaining yourself or getting information
you sound like an elitist
>>
>>16473020
>You've never intentionally read a book that looked interesting? You sound like a fucking illiterate bore.
I think that's the point of this thread, senpai.
>>
I read and I don't ask my bf to do it. You don't have to just cuz your gf says so. But books are amazing and it would do you good if you just do it because you're interested.

You have to actually be interested in the book if you want to start reading. If not it will do nothing for you.
>>
Just read the original book versions of some movies/tv shows you've seen like maybe Game of Thrones series or Harry Potter series.

Then you can be like /lit/ and go to /tv/ with a million gripes for how the movie was different from the book
>>
>>16472903
Books are ok, but in general they are worthless. They should only be read when you have nothing else important to do in your own life.

Btw, I've read over 800 books, generally between 300-800 pages.
>>
You have to find a book that interests you as a person.

First look for a category: Do you like nonfiction or fiction? Nonfiction is best for learning stuff, fiction is best for having fun or evoking a mood.

Then a genre.
Nonfiction:
News articles
Technical documents
Textbooks
How-to guides
Reference
etc.

This can be broken down into topics like science, math, history, anthropology, art, medicine, engineering, music theory. Anything that could possibly interest you has something written about it.

For fiction, pick a genre:
Historical
Fantasy
Sci-fi
Paranormal
Mystery
Horror
Comedy
Romance
etc.

Remember that many fiction novels have more than one genre they fall under. One suggestion is to look at the genres of movies you enjoy, and use that as a starting point. You can also look for popular or famous authors to give yourself more of an idea.

Then, once you know what type of book you want, go to a bookstore or library. if they have a book you want to try, grab it, and/or spend time browsing and reading the summaries of novels (on the back, or if not, the inside flap of a dust jacket). Pick stuff you think looks interesting, then give it a try. Most bookstores will let you read before you buy.

If you find you don't like it, just put it down and try another. If you find a book you really enjoy, see if it's part of a series or if the author did anything else. Use the author's name to find similar authors.

There's more books out there than anyone could ever possibly read. Billions of books. There's gonna be something you enjoy in there, you just have to find it.
>>
'get into books' is code for less sex.
>>
>>16473055
>you sound like an elitist
Not at all. It just blows my mind that someone 18+ has never picked up and read a book when they're capable and have means.

>>16472903
>Should I go along and try to get into if so what book?
Being well-read never hurt anyone. When you watch movies, what kind of stuff do you typically find yourself watching? If you play videogames, what kind of games do you typically play? Figure out those genres, then find the best authors of those genres.

I personally like a little bit of everything, but I like weird fantasy stuff the most. If you don't know where to start, and you find long books intimidating, go for a comic book series. Neil Gaiman's Sandman would be a good place to start. Most of his writing, in general, is great. Stephen King, Clive Barker, and Anne Rice are all big names I'd recommend to a beginner.

If you prefer non-fiction, try biographies based on people that interest you from history.
>>
>>16473124
>Books are ok, but in general they are worthless.
Everything is worthless, anon.
>>
OP just find something to read you enjoy. Do you like dystopian young adult novels? Read those. Do you like comedy? Read a funny book. It's really no different than getting into any other form of media. Anyone who's going to judge you as a person based on the fact you haven't read Gatsby or The Illyiad isn't someone you want to be friends with anyway. The real question is, does she want you to get into reading what you like or what she wants you to like?
>>
>>16473134
this t b h f a m
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.