[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Drinks and Conversation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 17

File: 00001.jpg (6KB, 191x263px) Image search: [Google]
00001.jpg
6KB, 191x263px
ITT: Ask a lonely and depressed man anything while he smokes and drinks.

Drinking: Jack Daniels

Smoking: Marlboro Reds

“Those who meant well behaved in the same way as those who meant badly.”
-- Aldous Huxley, on Mankind (Brave New World)
>>
Has the weather been favorable or to your liking lately?
>>
>>14477099
How old are you?

What's you favorite color?

Why is that your favorite color?

Whatcha into?
>>
>>14477099
why is your drill not piercing the heavens?
>>
fellow depressed alcoholic checking in

what do you do for a living?

why are you depressed?

drinking: popov vodka
smoking: I have an ecig, current flavor is a blend of peanut butter, banana, and caramel
>>
>>14477099
your best piece of life advice?
>>
File: guy.jpg (13KB, 297x432px) Image search: [Google]
guy.jpg
13KB, 297x432px
>>14477108
>Has the weather been favorable or to your liking lately?
It has actually. Has it been equally favorable for you, my friend?

>>14477109
>How old are you?
I am in my late twenties.

>What's you favorite color?
I am quite partial to green and black, my friend. And yourself?

>Why is that your favorite color?
I honestly have no idea. Do you know why you enjoy your favorite colors? If so, please share.

>Whatcha into?
I'm quite fond of traveling and talking to strangers. More importantly though, what do you enjoy?

>>14477110
>why is your drill not piercing the heavens?
I'm sorry, my friend. I don't quite understand your question. Could you rephrase it?
>>
File: 1352585862603.jpg (32KB, 504x504px) Image search: [Google]
1352585862603.jpg
32KB, 504x504px
>>14477099
This thread is relevant to my interests.

I'm not even close to being a real alcoholic, but I pretty much only drink when I'm home alone, so it still feels like a problem. I'd smoke weed or something, but I'm too much of a pussy to buy a drug you can't get at the grocery store.
>>
File: sm3240.jpg (58KB, 250x285px) Image search: [Google]
sm3240.jpg
58KB, 250x285px
>>14477116
>what do you do for a living?
Forgive me for my intentional obfuscation, but I'd prefer not to disclose the exact profession that I practice. That said, I can say that my work involves an inordinate amount of traveling and an abundance of patience with clients.

>why are you depressed?
Again, I apologize for being so intentionally enigmatic, but I'd prefer not to answer that question. Nonetheless, I will say that it stems back to the fact that I lost someone very special to me sometime ago.

More importantly, how are you this evening?

>>14477117
>your best piece of life advice?
Just because two people argue every day doesn't mean they don't love one another, and just because they never argue doesn't mean that they do.

And what is your best piece of life advice, my friend?
>>
>>14477130
> It has actually. Has it been equally favorable for you, my friend?
Good to hear! I've been enjoying it recently.

I think I remember seeing these threads a long time ago in /adv/. Did you stop hosting them for a while or did I just stop noticing them?
>>
>Smoking Marlboro Reds
Okay, fuck. I am literally smoking now because everyone I know who is cool does it. Some people have other great qualities about them, but no intrinsic coolness. People have called me surprisingly cool for the position I'm in.
>>
you talk the way jesus talked in the bible kind of
>>
I yelled at my friend for smoking the other night. I feel bad.
>>
>>14477145
My piece of advice would be to not let anyone impede your ideas, beliefs, and ambitions, but keep in mind that we're all only humans in a big world.

And thanks for the life advice, man. Relations between my parents have been pretty bitter lately, so thanks for the encouraging words :)
>>
The fuck kind of depressed drunk thread is this. I'm sorry your drunk OP but honestly, we're interested in YOU OP and why your depressed.

We just want you to spill it and maybe we could even ease your pain and sores just a little bit.

I like reading depressing stuff before bed, so that's what I'm doing tonight. My favorite color is blue because it always seemed calm, empty, and surrounding.
>>
>>14477145
I have a follow up question but needless to say it comes shrouded with a burden of secrecy that weighs heavily upon my tortured soul, all I can say is that it involves the words faggot, such, you, a, why and are?
>>
File: sm3243.png (1MB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
sm3243.png
1MB, 1440x900px
>>14477154
>Good to hear! I've been enjoying it recently.
I am happy to hear that, my friend.

>I think I remember seeing these threads a long time ago in /adv/. Did you stop hosting them for a while or did I just stop noticing them?
I am happy to recognize you. It's always nice to have a familiar face present in my conversations. As for noticing them, I'm afraid to say that it's been awhile since I've posted my typical threads -- so you haven't missed them. If I may be so egotistical, may I ask what you remember from the old threads?

>>14477162
>you talk the way jesus talked in the bible kind of
Forgive me for being so bold, but should I take that as a compliment?
>>
>>14477162
Jesus quotes in the bible:

>common man writes form the perspective of a fictional character
>speaking on behalf of 'greater good'
>friendly but distant
>speaking to everyone

He basically is Jesus.
>>
I wasn't being rhetorical about the smoking, Seneca. It kills, and neither of us should be doing it. *scratch flick*
>>
I have a question stranger.

*unsheathes katana*

Are you ready to die tonight?
>>
>>14477181
> If I may be so egotistical, may I ask what you remember from the old threads?
Convenient that a few days after I start regularly coming here again I run into you. I'll give myself a name here to help differentiate posts.

I remember your threads for what they were, mostly -- a seemingly interesting guy answering some people's questions (be they typical and mundane or legitimately stimulating.) You carried an air of mystery and wisdom that kept me coming back.

Mostly I just remember the OP pic causing lots of others to make Gurren Lagann references.

About this profession of yours, do you consider yourself good at it? Have you been in this business for long? Would you recommend the same or similar career to someone else?
>>
>>14477181

depends on if you like jesus or not, my friend.
>>
>>14477198
I'd unsheathe my friend's Katana, but it smells like cat piss. I know the strike to chop arms and heads off though. I was considering practicing it on dummies.
>>
File: sm12313123.jpg (23KB, 350x475px) Image search: [Google]
sm12313123.jpg
23KB, 350x475px
>>14477159
>Okay, fuck [...]
You seem upset, my friend. Are you feeling alright tonight? Does something in particular have you feeling down? Please, feel free to share. I would love to help, if I can.

>>14477163
>I yelled at my friend for smoking the other night. I feel bad.
Hello, my friend. May I ask why you feel bad about that?

>>14477166
>My piece of advice would be to not let anyone impede your ideas
Interesting concept. Does this extend to people voicing their opinions toward someone's beliefs/actions, or is it only toward overt acts?

>And thanks for the life advice, man.
It is my pleasure to give it, my friend. No thanks are necessary.

>Relations between my parents have been pretty bitter lately, so thanks for the encouraging words :)
Again, it is my pleasure to give them. I sincerely hope it helps you in such dark times.

>>14477177
Your harsh words aside, is there a reason you are so hostile this evening? I feel as if there's more to you than petty insults and empty trolling. In my experience, a "dog" doesn't bite without provocation. I am curious as to what that "provocation" is.
>>
>>14477204
One who would unsheathe the sword of a friend is neither a true swordsman, nor a true friend.
>>
>>14477211
1. I used to ask permission.
2. He disowned it.
3. It's not suited for armed combat.
>>
>>14477207
>Your harsh words aside, is there a reason you are so hostile this evening? I feel as if there's more to you than petty insults and empty trolling. In my experience, a "dog" doesn't bite without provocation. I am curious as to what that "provocation" is.

I find your pretentiousness distasteful.

>"I am afraid my background is private but I assure you it is very ambiguous and dramatic but alas I cannot say, for there is only so long you can stare into the abyss of ones own asshole before crawling inside."

You stepped right out of a sixteen year old's fan-fiction page.
>>
File: sm2134234234.jpg (31KB, 473x639px) Image search: [Google]
sm2134234234.jpg
31KB, 473x639px
>>14477187
>I wasn't being rhetorical about the smoking, Seneca. It kills, and neither of us should be doing it. *scratch flick*
“Now the standard cure for one who is sunk is to consider those in actual destitution or physical suffering—this is an all-weather beatitude for gloom in general and fairly salutary day-time advice for everyone. But at three o’clock in the morning, a forgotten package has the same tragic importance as a death sentence, and the cure doesn’t work—and in a real dark night of the soul it is always three o’clock in the morning, day after day.”
-- F. Scott Fitzgerald, on Death (The Crack-Up)

>>14477198
>Are you ready to die tonight?
"Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once."
-- William Shakespeare (Julius Caesar)

That said, my friend. May I borrow your katana for this duel?

>>14477201
>Convenient that a few days after I start regularly coming here again I run into you
Is it convenient, my friend? I'd like to think of it more as a "happy circumstance."

>You carried an air of mystery and wisdom that kept me coming back.
You're too kind with your words, my friend. Thank you for that. However, I assure you that there is no mystery. I am merely a man, just like yourself.

>About this profession of yours, do you consider yourself good at it?
Extraordinarily. And what of yourself? Do you consider yourself good at what you do?

>Have you been in this business for long?
I have been at it ever since I left my career as a public defense attorney.

>Would you recommend the same or similar career to someone else?
I would not, I'm afraid. This career isn't for the typical person.
>>
>>14477207
I'm a little pissed off that I keep smoking, and in general. My disposition is really about a sprawling few years of bullshit, so I was literally just talking about the cigs. I wouldn't put that much on your plate. Smoking is as bad as they say, isn't it?
>>
>>14477230
>That said, my friend. May I borrow your katana for this duel?

>>14477211
>One who would unsheathe the sword of a friend is neither a true swordsman, nor a true friend.

I swear to god it's like you're not even paying fucking attention.
>>
>>14477207
>Interesting concept. Does this extend to people voicing their opinions toward someone's beliefs/actions, or is it only toward overt acts?

Well, as with most things, there are limits to how far you should let your beliefs take you. Although I'm against hunting animals, you probably won't see me shooting every hunter I meet. I believe that if your beliefs lead you to disrupting someone else's beliefs/actions, then it's no longer an ambition or idea, but perhaps discrimination. But for the most part, let no one keep you from doing what you want to do.

And though you don't ask for thanks, I really do appreciate it.
>>
>>14477230
>Scott Fitzgerald quote
I don't know the context, but I don't think it was smoking, so that's some pretty high-brow punage right there.

Do you collect quotes more, or read a lot? Who would you recommend the most?
>>
>>14477230
> Do you consider yourself good at what you do?
Currently full-time student with no job since I like to have a more free summer. I'm looking to work at my campus library / book store starting in the fall and I expect to do well in that kind of work environment.

> This career isn't for the typical person.
Can I assume then that, since you are extraordinarily good at it, you aren't the typical person and this career is indeed for you?

Why the name LW Seneca? Is it a reference to something I'm just not familiar with or does it hold some personal meaning to you?
>>
>>14477237
You're the one not thinking. You can borrow a sword with permission. They're not like gameboy's at a summercamp.
>>
File: bs2304923409.jpg (147KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
bs2304923409.jpg
147KB, 600x900px
>>14477229
>I find your pretentiousness distasteful.
I apologize if I come across as pretentious. That was not my intention. Nonetheless, may I ask why you imputed that label on me without adequate provocation?

>You stepped right out of a sixteen year old's fan-fiction page.
Your perception aside, may I ask why you are being so antagonistic this evening? I'd venture to guess that something must be wrong for you this evening beyond my word-choice.

>>14477234
>Smoking is as bad as they say, isn't it?
I would venture to guess that the answer to your question hinges on your definition of the word "bad." Would you agree, my friend? If so, then what is your definition of the word "bad," and why?

>>14477237
>I swear to god it's like you're not even paying fucking attention.
Why do you say that, my friend?

>>14477243
>Well, as with most things, there are limits to how far you should let your beliefs take you
May I ask why?

>>14477243
>And though you don't ask for thanks, I really do appreciate it.
It is my pleasure, sir. I wish I could be more help to you this evening, but it appears as though you have a fairly decent grasp on the concepts you're conveying. Speaking of which, thank you for sharing them; I appreciate it.
>>
>>14477265
Just to highlight all the shit responses he has collected here.

I've seen people spout way more pretentious things than this, like miles, and nobody calls them out just because they aren't using a pretentious tone. That goes to show how important tone is, but try fucking listening. This isn't a chat over lunch, THIS IS 4CHAN!
>>
>>14477265
As a real test of pretentiousness, I'm gonna ditch the pretense and just ask what it is you do. If you said what it was, it's buried somewhere deep in the replies.

About the smoking, I guess I consider anything that impedes on my goals 'bad'. So as difficult as it is to judge whether or not I want to live to 85 or not, wouldn't figuring out if these things really kill at a high rate per instance be the first step?
>>
>>14477273
*pats you on the head* thank you peasant. please disregard my tone and bask in the euphoric enigma of elegance that is me, come to me with your woes for I smoke cigarettes and drink whiskey all dark and brooding like.
>>
>>14477298
I don't think he's talking about smoking and drinking in the dark to be cool. I do that all the time out of being bored. Maybe he's just advising us on how to use /adv/ properly. I mean should he be crying and biting his nails in the dark?
>>
>>14477304
You'd be crying and biting your nails in the dark if you'd seen the things I've seen. But unfortunately I can't speak of my dark and shrouded past that I keep bringing up.
>>
File: N3434.jpg (45KB, 646x467px) Image search: [Google]
N3434.jpg
45KB, 646x467px
>>14477287
>I'm gonna ditch the pretense and just ask what it is you do. If you said what it was, it's buried somewhere deep in the replies.
Please see my reply to the first question in this reply, my friend: >>14477145 .

>About the smoking, I guess I consider anything that impedes on my goals 'bad'.
So there are two questions that naturally follow from your reply:

(1) Who possesses the right to determine if something is "good" or "bad?"

(2) Do you consider smoking to be "good" or "bad?"
>>
>>14477315
I think you've moved on to a hyperbole about someone else.
>>
I have twenty dollars to my name and no job. How can I make six hundred in two weeks?
>>
>>14477317
It's enjoyable to the slightest degree, and kills time, but it's a money sink people claim will kill me 50 years from now. I guess it's right on the border far as I can tell. The chemical breakdown of what's in it is pretty disgusting. I avoid food with that much shit in it, unless of course eating said food is slightly enjoyable and kills time.
>>
>>14477315
careful bro gonna cut yourself on that edge

Honestly, seneca has always been here, and hes always been depressed and done these threads.

Hide it if you dont like it, its cool roleplay and convo for the sad sobs out there and there's plenty of them.

Ya he dont talk like a dudebro but what the fuck do you care?

I'm sure you'd find another reason to dislike him if he talked however the fuck you'd like him to, so isnt this reason as good as any to hide his thread?

If anyones getting trolld here its you bro.
>>
>>14477322
fulltime job

you will probably get a job in two weeks if you try very hard and look like what they want to hire

otherwise just robbery or a loan from someone/something
>>
File: sd565.jpg (662KB, 1000x1250px) Image search: [Google]
sd565.jpg
662KB, 1000x1250px
>>14477322
>have twenty dollars to my name and no job. How can I make six hundred in two weeks?
Before I reply to your specific question, my friend, may I ask why you need $600 in two weeks' time? Such may be important to answering the essence of your inquiry in the long run.
>>
>>14477265
>May I ask why?
Well, it is undoubtedly important to realize that we're only human, and we can only achieve so much. there are also extremes, such as racial discrimination and violent protesting. Sure, one might be following his ambitions, but it is a question of what price those ambitions come at. Hatred? Loss of life? Torn relations? And of course there are ethics which might curtail our beliefs. An example would be the meat industry. Sure, the people working for the company may be getting paid rather large sums of money, but at the cost of torturing animals while they're alive for their flesh and being raised only to be eaten. Another example would be Wal-Mart. Though being a multi-billionaire company, the labor conditions which the workers in foreign countries are subject to are awful and dangerous.

In short, we should be aware of what we're doing not only to ourselves, but to others as well. One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself, in summary.

>It is my pleasure, sir. [...]
Anytime, friend. And I've pondered these ideas for a while now, so I'm quite familiar with them.
>>
>>14477332
Seneca: smart answers for stupid questions.
>>
>>14477332

Rent and food. I could no doubt find a job within two weeks, but the chances of me finding one, and getting in with enough hours before cut off is unlikely.
>>
>>14477342
my state has temporary assistance for this, and they're happier to help someone employable than someone who's not
>>
File: dark and brooding.jpg (126KB, 636x477px) Image search: [Google]
dark and brooding.jpg
126KB, 636x477px
>>14477327
Maybe the reason I dislike him is because I too have lost someone special in dramatic mysterious circumstances?
>>
>>14477349
welcome to the club, we all have.

I lost someone incredibly important last year to a disease, another to a breakup, and my grandma 3 years ago and I couldn't go see her.

My gf lost her mom to cancer 2 years ago.

Etc.

We all have our dramatic circumstances. That doesnt change the fact that you are making mountains out of molehills and dude is doing some cool enigmatic roleplay.

For what its worth, my condolences.
>>
File: mf342432.jpg (56KB, 314x378px) Image search: [Google]
mf342432.jpg
56KB, 314x378px
>>14477334
>Well, it is undoubtedly important to realize that we're only human, and we can only achieve so much.
While our own limitations are certainly worth noting, I must ask if it's our job and/or place to actually recognize them as such? What I'm asking here is if we actually should hinder ourselves by our own perceptions.

>Sure, one might be following his ambitions, but it is a question of what price those ambitions come at.
If one's intentions are pure, do the "costs" actually matter? Isn't that just a value judgment, my friend? If so, aren't all value perceptions mere extensions of our self-interest, and thus inherently biased?

I apologize for so many questions here, but I believe them all to be pertinent.

>In short, we should be aware of what we're doing not only to ourselves, but to others as well.

Stemming off of the above set of questions, is this not a value judgment as well?

>One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself, in summary.
Generally, I agree wholeheartedly. Nonetheless, I'd like to hear your thoughts on my above questions.

>>14477337
>Seneca: smart answers for stupid questions.
I'm sorry to disagree with you my friend, but I must object to your qualification of that as a "stupid" question. So long as an individual's questions are in earnest pursuit of the truth, how could we possibly qualify them as anything but absolutely brilliant?

Imagine if the first sentient being never asked "why?" It's astounding to think all that we know stemmed from such a "stupid" question; isn't it?
>>
Gonna ask a question nobody would ask him, because why not?

I've always been a shallow person, and aside from being easily demoralized, I actually enjoy it a lot. I was thinking about getting plastic surgery, since I'm like an honest 5/10 when I take care. (I'm talking in the general scale, not the "Would You Fuck?" scale used by psychologists.)

The thing is I have one problem with it--it's false advertising. If I ever had a kid with someone, it would have totally unexpected features. That might make me feel guilty, or make me look bad. What's your opinion on that specific part of it? Your general opinion is also good, but there's nowhere to ask about this specifically, where people would take it seriously. In Korea I think a new mother was successfully sued for having a misleading appearance.
>>
This is all a big joke thread right?
>>
>>14477361

Does the name "LW Seneca" refer to something, perhaps in literature, or does it hold some personal meaning to you?

Do you visit or post in any other boards here or strictly /adv/?
>>
>>14477349
If anything that turned me dramatic and mysterious. They say we dislike in others what we dislike in ourselves. You were being pretty antagonistic and facetious at the same time. Is that not dramatic and pretentious?
>>
File: sm23498234123412.jpg (267KB, 640x797px) Image search: [Google]
sm23498234123412.jpg
267KB, 640x797px
>>14477334
>Well, it is undoubtedly important to realize that we're only human, and we can only achieve so much.
Again, I apologize for being such a blatant example of "the devil's advocate." That said, what basis do you have on believing this axiom beyond your general inkling toward it?

>Sure, one might be following his ambitions, but it is a question of what price those ambitions come at.
Again, my apologies, but what "price" are you implying here? You give multiple examples, my friend, but no exact demonstrations. I'm not necessarily asking for things that actually happened here, but instead things that --must-- come from direct acts.

“I was always holding onto people, and they were always leaving.”
-- Lili St. Crow, on Action (Jealousy)

>In short, we should be aware of what we're doing not only to ourselves, but to others as well.
If I may lure you into a bit of Socratic reasoning here (a forewarning, mind you), do you believe this to be an absolute universal maxim?

>>14477349
>Maybe the reason I dislike him is because I too have lost someone special in dramatic mysterious circumstances?
If this is the case, my friend, then my deepest condolences for your loss. My next drink is to you -- may you somehow "drown" in its intoxicating grasp vicariously through me.
>>
>abundant traveling
>inordinate patience

if you're being serious, that sounds like a sales or communications rep
>>
>>14477382
Or a hitman
>>
>>14477388
how does anyone go looking for a hitman without the fear of getting narc'd? that's a pretty high fucking conspiracy, to kill someone.
>>
File: sm23123.jpg (5KB, 200x196px) Image search: [Google]
sm23123.jpg
5KB, 200x196px
>>14477363
>Gonna ask a question nobody would ask him, because why not?
"But, truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty you need only look into a mirror."
- V, on Self-Reflection (V for Vendetta)

>I've always been a shallow person, and aside from being easily demoralized, I actually enjoy it a lot.
May I ask, in a superficial sense, why you "enjoy" it?

>I was thinking about getting plastic surgery, since I'm like an honest 5/10 when I take care.
Why do you feel the need to obfuscate who you are for the approval of those who don't already approve of you? This is a harsh question, I admit. Regardless, I think it's an important question to ask.

>The thing is I have one problem with it--it's false advertising.
Forgive my bluntness here, but isn't that what the aforementioned plastic surgery is -- "false advertising?"

Hyprocracy, while a tu quoque fallacy, is nonetheless "unattractive."

>>14477364
>This is all a big joke thread right?
Hello, my friend! Welcome to our thread! That said, this is only a joke insofar as you may find humor in it. More importantly, how are you this evening?

>>14477365
>Does the name "LW Seneca" refer to something, perhaps in literature, or does it hold some personal meaning to you?

A bit of both, I'm afraid.

>Do you visit or post in any other boards here or strictly /adv/?
I post in a few other boards, but this is the only board I bother with a tripcode on. Tell me, my friend, do you enjoy other boards as well? If so, what ones?
>>
File: you.png (21KB, 780x770px) Image search: [Google]
you.png
21KB, 780x770px
>>14477379
>may you somehow "drown" in its intoxicating grasp vicariously through me.
>>
>>14477388
Of course it sounds like a hitman, it's meant to sound like a fucking hitman.
>>
>>14477402
> Tell me, my friend, do you enjoy other boards as well? If so, what ones?
I fancy /co/ and /tg/ primarily.

Do you entertain yourself outside of your smoke and your drink while you host these threads? Either with a book, or music, or television?
>>
>>14477402
>May I ask why you enjoy it
It's simpler and easier than when I really try to think deeply or attempt something grand. That almost always goes horribly. Being superficial is fun, because it just involves dopamine and getting what you want.

>Why do you feel the need?
My physical and psychological development was kind of like being put on a hot iron and you get the picture. I'm only 20 now.

>Isn't that what plastic surgery is, false advertising?
I don't see how. What you see is what you get, except genetically. That's why I brought up that specific aspect, which I do consider false advertising.
>>
>>14477361
>While our own limitations are certainly worth noting, I must ask if it's our job and/or place to actually recognize them as such? What I'm asking here is if we actually should hinder ourselves by our own perceptions.

I would say it's in our best interest to keep in mind our limitations, but no so much as hinder ourselves. There is no doubt that humans are a superior race. However, hindering ourselves would impact our progress. We should aspire to be all that we can, but know that we can only go so far. In other words, you can be Icarus and soar the skies as you please, but know that flying too close to the sun will lead to your demise, so to speak.

>If one's intentions are pure, do the "costs" actually matter? Isn't that just a value judgment, my friend? If so, aren't all value perceptions mere extensions of our self-interest, and thus inherently biased?

It depends on the person and his will. And you're definitely right, it is a value judgment. But if his intentions are 'pure' to some and he is willing to pay those costs, be it life or relations, then so be it. Man can do as he wishes. And there is bias in everything. No two people are alike, and their every action and thought shape and sculpt their ideas. So yes, our goals and ambitions absolutely reflect upon our perceptions.

>I apologize for so many questions here, but I believe them all to be pertinent.

Nothing to apologize for, friend. I have been thoroughly enjoying this conversation.

>Stemming off of the above set of questions, is this not a value judgment as well?

I would agree. Although a person's judgment of how important their action's consequences are to them may vary, it certainly has some impact on their decisions. However, there are some that have shallow hearts and don't care about what their costs and sacrifices mean to them or others.
>>
>>14477408
i can't tell if that line was bait or not, but it was pretty bad

this whole picking at seneca thing is old though, since he's never gonna change
>>
File: sm349023.jpg (11KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
sm349023.jpg
11KB, 300x225px
>>14477416
>I fancy /co/ and /tg/ primarily.
I enjoy those boards as well. Given my tendency to be away from home most of the time, I enjoy entertaining myself with comic books -- specifically the DC universe. What comics do you enjoy, my friend?

That said, I enjoyed playing tabletop games with my undergrad friends some years ago. Such times have since left me, but which tabletop games do you enjoy?

>Do you entertain yourself outside of your smoke and your drink while you host these threads?
I tend to seek out bars in the areas surrounding where I travel. There's nothing quite like talking with the locals and hearing their various life-stories. And yourself, what is it that you enjoy doing?

>>14477429
>I'm only 20 now.
The good news is that I can say with confidence that you have plenty of time to find your way. Regardless, I fully recognize that such a statement doesn't have much weight now, let alone meaning, to you. I apologize for that, my friend. Please, reconsider what you intend to do. If nothing else, trust me on that one.

>>14477429
>What you see is what you get, except genetically.
Again, forgive my bluntness, but what about instances of fraud and/or deceit?
>>
File: sm340234.jpg (39KB, 300x254px) Image search: [Google]
sm340234.jpg
39KB, 300x254px
>>14477432
>We should aspire to be all that we can, but know that we can only go so far.
Why not more? I recognize the idealism in this question, but it bears asking regardless.

>In other words, you can be Icarus and soar the skies as you please, but know that flying too close to the sun will lead to your demise, so to speak.
If this is the case, then why not spend the time reinventing the materials your wings are made from? After all, if you want to fly, there are more constructive materials than wax...

>But if his intentions are 'pure' to some and he is willing to pay those costs, be it life or relations, then so be it.
So we've effectively "pushed" the ultimate question back a step. What makes one's intentions "pure?"

>I have been thoroughly enjoying this conversation.
The same is true for me, sir. Thank you for indulging me. .
>>
>>14477379
>Again, I apologize for being such a blatant example of "the devil's advocate." That said, what basis do you have on believing this axiom beyond your general inkling toward it?

I have led a difficult life filled with death and demise, so I have somewhat of an affiliation with a "live once" attitude. That being said, I don't use this as an excuse for any misdemeanors. Apart from my personal experiences, I have observed that those who forget that they're not capable of everything soon meet their demise.

>Again, my apologies, but what "price" are you implying here? You give multiple examples, my friend, but no exact demonstrations. I'm not necessarily asking for things that actually happened here, but instead things that --must-- come from direct acts.

Take for instance a shallow-hearted man (he doesn't even need to be shallow-hearted, maybe only narrow-minded). His only ambition is to make money and become wealthy, through any means necessary. Because of his ambitions, he might leave his family or take the family wealth in order to go on to become rich. He might go on to the pornography business. In doing this, and because of his ambitions to become wealthy, he has used women for others pleasure in order to benefit himself. In the end, he may be wealthy, but stealing from his family and using women in order to advance his own wealth were the prices to be paid in order for it to happen, and his judgment of their importance are up to him.

>If I may lure you into a bit of Socratic reasoning here (a forewarning, mind you), do you believe this to be an absolute universal maxim?

Absolutely. It should be noted that while we can certainly advance our well-being, this stated maxim is definitely one that should be universally recognized by all.
>>
>>14477481
>What about instances of fraud and/or deceit?
That's a little extreme, don't you think? I wouldn't be fooling anyone about my identity, although that has been a fantasy of mine, but only to get back at a few people.

>You have plenty of time to find your way.
Yeah, it's just a thought at this point. You didn't say your opinion on the whole genetics thing. That's not really what it hangs on, but it's still important, and actually easier to give an opinion on. I might come around and not want to change anyway, but it's worth thinking about.
>>
>>14477481
> What comics do you enjoy, my friend?
I mostly stick to Marvel stuff, and I lean heavily toward Spider-Man titles. With DC, I've found that I (generally) prefer their graphic novels over monthly issue series.

> Such times have since left me, but which tabletop games do you enjoy?
I enjoy Settlers of Catan, though most of my friends don't. Dixit and Betrayal at House on the Hill are two other favorites currently.

> And yourself, what is it that you enjoy doing?
More recently I've been enjoying outdoor activities with friends. Frisbee and tennis are the most commonly played among us.

What usually prompts you to host these threads? Are you feeling particularly lonely or are you just looking to pass the time?

And, if I may, what time zone are you in currently? It's coming up on 1 AM for me.
>>
>>14477495
>Why not more? I recognize the idealism in this question, but it bears asking regardless.

Well, this boils down to a matter in perspective. Some can choose to go beyond what they may be capable of, and if they can succeed, then so be it.

>If this is the case, then why not spend the time reinventing the materials your wings are made from? After all, if you want to fly, there are more constructive materials than wax...

I believe this question can be closely related to the today's industrialization. If humans are able to better themselves and soar the skies with their less-impacting and new and improved materials, then they are successful. Of course, industrialization does come at a cost...

>So we've effectively "pushed" the ultimate question back a step. What makes one's intentions "pure?"

It varies from person to person, but in general a 'pure' intention is one that is not impeded by ethics or regard for costs, and is completely supported by its believer.

>The same is true for me, sir. Thank you for indulging me. .

Any time, friend.
>>
>>14477099
Why are you lonely, and do you feel that your life or your past actions have led up to you being lonely or are you just that way?

Can you give any advice or comforting words to someone who doesn't know how to break free of old binds that seem to prevent him from doing what truly makes him happy?
>>
I remember when you first started posting here, must have been 2 years ago at least, if not more. It's good to see you around again.
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.