[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I AM A HERO

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2

File: 25142.jpg (141KB, 600x840px) Image search: [Google]
25142.jpg
141KB, 600x840px
What kind of ending was that?
>>
>>162217588
A bad one
>>
I wish author jumped the shark and went for some over the top shit instead of this, really.
>>
>>162217588
Oh I loved that manga. Is it over now ?
>>
>>162217668
But at least Based Auntie wins it all.
>>
I like to pretend it's a parody but I don't think the author is intelligent enough to understand
>>
The mangaka clearly split the good ending and the bad ending into two different characters and gave our hero the bad one. I choose to think the other faggot was actually the way it was supposed to end.
>>
>>162217588
How did it end? I remember reading a good chunk of it (up until he is saved by the zombie girl I think)
>>
just finished up the rest since I left it after the merging part. The hell for an ending???
>>
Shame really. I was really engrossed up until the point the nurse characters kicked the bucket. Things started to feel really rushed after it.

It seems to me that the author just got tired of the series and wanted to end it as quickly as possible. Resulting in a rushed ending where nothing is actually resolved. I did like the last chapter though, the one where MC talks to cardboard cutout maskots.
>>
I left off reading this right after we were introduced to the zombie charls Manson and his fight with the girl...

Is it worth it to finish? Because I enjoyed it fully up til then.
>>
>>162219517
If you enjoyed it go for it. The ending is not what most would have hoped for but it wasn't the worst thing ever done. You know how /a/ overreacts to things like the anime or manga raped their dad and killed their dog.
>>
I couldn't read it. The Characters were way the fuck to unappealing to look at.
>>
>>162217588
As far as I understood it, the point of the manga was that Hideo really was a supporting character in life, his whole purpose was to get Hiromi to the hive. His fate at the end was fitting for someone like him, an empty life devoid of any other people except for his delusions.
>>
How did it end

I dropped this fucking ages ago
>>
>>162219211
MC ends up alone in a dead city and becomes the ultimate neet and his pseudo rival gets away in a helicopter to live the rest of his life in comfort on an island with friends and a qt to fug
People that hate the ending miss the entire point of the manga and saw to much of themselves in the MC, same reason why people hate Shinji
>>
Hiromi still the best girl
>>
Yeah, I'm not at all satisfied with this. People keep insisting that this is the natural ending for Hideo's character arc, but even that I disagree with. Yes, he was always striving for independence and purpose, the bravery to face what life had to offer and take it head on. But ultimately, I don't think Hideo is happy with his life by the ending. Sure, he's snatched agency and independence from the jaws of the apocalypse, but playing hero and seeking companionship were things he really enjoyed, so much so that he chased a giant flesh monster in an attempt to save Hiromi. He put his life on the line for other people so many times, and seemingly got something out of it, and grew as a person. Someone who finally had a purpose. He even tells his delusion on the boat that he wouldn't run away anymore, as if it was a significant indication of personal growth.

But good ol' Kengo decided to axe that character arc and do away with most of that development in favor of some commentary presumably regarding the futility in chasing a perfect life? Or maybe there's irony in the title, and that striving for heroism is ignorant? Who knows, but my point is that when Hideo played hero, he was happy, and that was the core of this manga for the bulk if its publication, I think. The total collapse of his old lifestyle, and a newfound sense of self in the new one.
>>
>>162225767
By the way, don't get me started on all the loose ends, either, namely the little girl in Italy. I know what you're thinking, leaving things up for interpretation is only natural in a story like this, but I felt as though he gave us too many details if that was his intention. He implied there was something much greater to this whole ZQN thing than just a mass of people apparently piloted by Hiromi (which is totally arbitrary, by the way. We're never even really given any reasoning as to why she's the kingpin). This ending feels like either rushed or straight up incompetent writing, imo. Open interpretation is one thing, but if you write a story that becomes a massive, sprawling world, and you develop intrigue surrounding that idea intentionally, just ignoring it isn't sending any deep messages about the futility of life or mental illness or what-the-fuck-ever. It's poor writing, if you ask little old me.

And c'mon, you couldn't let Nakata and Hideo meet up? Throw me a fucking bone, dude, you know that woulda been fun. You even hinted that there are still plenty of survivors in Tokyo, and yet Hideo doesn't meet a single one. Is he not looking? Are there not actually any survivors? Who knows.

I feel like this wasn't even really a character arc, Hideo just lost sight of what was important to him and went back to running. It's clear the dude still craves companionship, and to make a name for himself. With the threat now gone, the fact that in this moment he's resolved to run from his problems more hastily than ever before feels like bullshit to me. His character no longer feels believable; I feel as though the person he'd become by chapter 259 wouldn't have chosen this life, nor would he have let Oda's sister's sacrifice go to waste.

The assumption that this ending is some high-minded commentary on the human condition is funny to me, it feels like an excuse not to see this story through to the end. Wonder what's going on in Hanazawa's brain right now.
>>
>>162225767
>I missed the point
>>
>>162225767
>>162225806
To make things clear, I'm fine with open endings, and I'm also fine with endings that don't wrap up every little thing with a bow. I'm just saying that my man wrote a story and intentionally got us interested in its various tendrils, only to toss them to the wayside in favor of demolishing the central character arc we'd come to give a fuck about. Seems lazy to me.
>>
>>162218545

remind me, what other faggot? the other mangaka?
>>
>>162217588
It was shittiest one I've ever seen. The sorry had so much potential he just threw it away
>>
From a purely character standpoint, it was pretty complete.

Korori was everything Hideo sought to be, and he ended up in a nigh utopia, where he was happy, safe and could draw all the manga he wanted. Yet he still idolized Hideo, because he saw real talent. He saw value in Hideo even when Hideo didn't. Just like Tekko (but even she didn't as much as him). In fact, all the women Hideo interact with come to appreciate and even love him for who he is, but there's also definitely a sense of lowered expectations. They're realists, and they're right to not expect too much from Hideo - he's given them little reason to do otherwise throughout the series despite a few moments of actual heroism. Korori was the only one that believed Hideo could be more.

It's tragic irony, Hideo wasn't fully a hero until he no longer had anyone to protect. The truth of it was though, this was always about Hideo saving himself. Not in a selfish way, though it manifested that way a lot, but in a self-realization way. Tekko and Korori knew he was wasting his talents but Hideo wallowed in self-pity. He learned to defend and stand up for himself and to do the same for others. But he was never quite fully effective until the very end. Now, essentially isolated, he's found hope and purpose where there wouldn't be any for most. He could finally say, "I am a hero" and have it be true and mean it. But he doesn't have to. If you notice, he only ever says it when he wants to do anything but be a hero, to reassure himself. What he really said when he stepped up was a simple "alright" or "ok". Notice that Korori, who proves himself time and time again, never says that. The pregnant deer Hideo killed was a symbol of all the friends who sacrificed themselves, and his tears show that he kept his humanity.

In the end, the series doesn't end on a cheesy, "I am a hero!", it ends on a confident, self-assured, "Alright." He is a hero now, and he did the impossible. He saved himself, from himself.
>>
I just finished it 5 minutes ago

It seemed really rushed, at chapter 204 I noticed and incredible dive in the quality of the art which continued till the end, so I guess he just couldnt be fucked anymore
>>
>>162227538
Just gonna reply to my own post because I really wanna emphasise how fucking lazy the art got, I actually could not fucking believe what I was seeing while reading the chapters
>>
>>162227141
Yeah. He got what MC deserved.
>>
File: ctf.png (147KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
ctf.png
147KB, 600x600px
I stopped reading around the church thing I think when some girl was talking about aliens
Dunno if I remember it right?
How long am I from the ending if I ended there?
It's like its trying hard to be gantz
>>
>>162229482
Thats chapter 189, and theres 264 chapters in total
>>
>>162225822
incredible argument, you sure showed him faggot
>>
Literally what was the point of all the Italy/alien shit if it wasn't going to matter at all. "Leaving stuff open to interpretation" is fine, not explaining ANYTHING AT ALL is a problem.
>>
>>162229839
Im guessing he originally did intend to explain all of that but just gave up
>>
>>162229839
The people in Italy were just as in the dark as everyone else in the series, like the 2ch posters or the walking head in Barcelona. Nobody knew anything.
>>
>>162229930
Yeah, but why did the author add it if he was just going to drop it like a rock?
>>
I only saw the movie, how much does it differs from the manga?
>>
>>162229994
Plot's different but the movie does have that fun gory scene toward the end.
>>
>>162229994
Do a girl and her transgender sister have sex using a severed penis in the movie?
Because that happens in the manga
>>
>>162217588
After reading Resentiment, I had no expectations for the ending.
Ah well, it was a fun ride. And still the best zombie breakout scenes I've ever read.
>>
>>162230081
Nope
>>
>>162217588
What ending?
>>
>>162229771
It doesn't need to be an argument, he clearly didn't understand what was going on within the series and all his complaints are based on that fundamental misunderstanding
This anon gets it
>>162227307
>>
>>162229696
Thanks going to read it this weekend
>>
>>162217588
Wait how tall is this guy 4'6"? He's like 3/4 as tall as his gat, thought gats werent that big since the 1600s
>>
>>162229982
The entire manga is about various supporting characters trying to make sense of things, it's a recurring theme from the beginning of the story when Hideo expressed that he was a side character in someone else's story. I Am A Hero is not a story of the end of the world, it's about Hideo's journey. The other interludes were to provide context.
>>
I actually like the ending. It just means that he live on doing what he love best: being /out/
>>
>>162232990
I wonder if he particularly misses Tekko.
>>
>>162217588
if by ending you mean how the zombies simply dissapeared, it wasn´t bad, but rushed, it could have been in a more epic way

if by ending you mean Hideo being the only guy in the city, then I sorry to tell you, you are like the mayority of idiots who can´t stand a proper ending, you just want the usual mainstream stuff.
>>
>>162225806
I feel like this is the real reason it sucked. He just pulled a Lost.
It's not hard to think of intriguing twists--it's hard to make them make sense and be satisfying.
>>
>>162217588
A rushed one.
>>
>>162225767
The problem with the ending was that it zigged instead of zagged. Now it's entirely plausible to zig, but the author spent the better part of the story telling us he'd zag, right up until the very end. It feels forced and unnatural.

Like I said, I don't reject the ending, I just take issue with how the author got there. It's poor craftsmanship.
>>
>>162233994
Couldn't disagree more. Your problem is that it follows up on the destructive elements rather than making a last minute turn to salvation. But if you've read Ressentiments and Boys on the Run you know this is an author who is completely fine with letting stories and characters develop and finish on a destructive note. Only BotR has some kind of (frankly disastrous) redemption for its protagonist.

We didn't get a left field turn at the end: Hiromi gave in to infection as we'd already seen others do and in line with the malevolent aspects of her personality we knew were there since the start. The idea of her as an innocent saviour was only ever an idea, and is pretty archly sent up on-panel when she's experiencing her childlike dream world.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.