[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do so many people hate sword art online?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 234
Thread images: 36

File: Kirito_SAO.png (963KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Kirito_SAO.png
963KB, 1920x1080px
I thought it was a really solid show full of great action scenes and really interesting characters. I don't know why Kirito gets so much shit, he's a really cool and badass character.
>>
>>161574021
Remember the isekai's epidemic we are currently in? is SAO's fault.
>>
>>161574021
Only the first half of S1 was good. ALO. GGO and AIDS Online were shit.
>>
They give him shit because they're jealous, they can't get any girls themselves and suck at videogames
>>
>>161574094
Epidemic? Isekai is the genre that's saving this dying medium.
>>
>>161574021
Try googling your question for the literal thousands of videos and essays which deconstruct the anime to explain why it is both hated, and not nearly as well constructed as you think it is.
>>
>>161574021
Because retards like you keep making these threads
>>
>>161574168
I have seen lots of videos that try to critique SAO. But I believe that the points are too weak to stand on their own, i believe that they're just exaggurating SAO's few flaws.
>>
It's kiddie.

>>161574094
Isekai has been a popular genre and industry standard long before SAO. There has been at least one title nearly every season for over twenty years.

>>161574160
The medium is doing better than it was eight years ago and has been growing.
>>
Not even normalfags would think that Kirito is badass and really cool.
>>
File: kite-hack-1.jpg (130KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
kite-hack-1.jpg
130KB, 1024x768px
>>161574021
Pic Related
>>
>>161574021
Because it didn't end when the game ended.
>>
>>161574382
>The medium is doing better than it was eight years ago and has been growing.

As I said, it's because of isekai shows. If it weren't for isekai anime wouldn't have as much of a following today. We can thank isekai for reeling in more ordinary people.
>>
>>161574021
Shit bait
>>
>>161574021
It's fucking medicore. It's not good enough to deserve praise, and it's definitely not bad enough to justify all the autism about it. Idiots are just bored and just circlejerk about this show to intellectually masterbate about "how good their taste is"
>>
>>161574021
>start with 2 really promising episodes that makes you hope for great things
>10 episodes of LITERALLY FUCKING NOTHING
>when the confrontation with the mastermind finally happens... "My motives are LOL I forgot!"
Gee, I really wonder!
>>
>>161574021
Blame the Digibro, when this series came out, the pleb loved it because they like everything that has cute girls and swords, and critics found the average at best, but then a certain brony called digibro, made a series of videos Destroying every episode and proving it was poorly written, just like the redletter media and Star Wars, so several critics did the same, and nowadays like SAO is like admitting that you're retarded
>>
File: 1501347841294.png (133KB, 797x226px) Image search: [Google]
1501347841294.png
133KB, 797x226px
The great start/bait the tentacle monster service and taking a bunch of normies nobody wanted here into the anime genre are the sins of this series
>>
>>161574021
Reminder that SAO and Greed Island was airing at the same time
>>
>>161574021
The first half was boring as fuck. The second half was worse but more entertaining.
The only good thing about the first half was Lisbeth.
>>
>>161574021
Its the boogeyman of anime
Most people havent even watched it but still hate it
>>
>>161577170
I never got HunterXHunter. It's a last decade style shounen, yet it's so popular. Why?
>>
File: 1502673974780.jpg (191KB, 850x1206px) Image search: [Google]
1502673974780.jpg
191KB, 850x1206px
It all started when they decided to skip a lot of floors and ignore MMO stuff, but it all went to shit when incest and tentacle ecchi happened. That's when people had to drop it.
>>
I enjoyed it. I also want Sugu to sit on my face
>>
>>161574021

First part of the Anime
>Typical Gary Sue
>Edgy
>Gets full harem out of nowhere, just for the harem's sake

And now you are asking why people hate it. If the writer wanted a good love story between him and Asuna she (it was she right?) would't make additional female characters thirsting for MC's dick out of nothing. I mean the baseline episode was "Overpowered Kirito kills a monster, helps a chick and she wants his dick".

I really liked the idea of being trapped into the game world and dying for real. The main objective is to beat the game while not dying (and in considerable time since who knows what will happen with your rotting body on the outside). Some love story included is acceptable. Even the fact that MC played on beta test and has advantage before noobs is acceptable aswell, but then,bad things start to happen.

>continued in next post
>>
It's a bad show, but the hate for it is just bandwagoning.
>>
>>161578010
>from previous post
We start with the fact, that MC starts acting edgy. Well ok, let's assume he is autistic and that is how he acts. But then the Gary Sue MC starts to appear: He is getting things that are not supposed to haappen. Somehow he gets dual wielding which is supposed to be super unique and nobody was able to do it. Why? For what reason? Just to make MC overpowered? That is what makes the anime shit in first place. Then the harem. Why? There is no point of it, since he doesn't even interact with those girls anymore. Then that "child" and how he hacks the system. From where the fuck did he get the knowledge? He is just a good player, not a fucking programming chosen one Neo from Matrix. Why did the author even go that way? Then she understood that she fucked up and fucked up even harder by making a premature ending which didn't make any sence, why didn't they went up to the top with all the losses and finally beaten the last bos (even if it was supposed to be the game developer himself)? How about making a relationship with raid, making us feel the tragedy of losing every raid member till in the end only 2 of them survive and defeat the last boss to get out of the game.

What happens afterwards is even more retarded and has no relation to SaO whatever, it feels just like a cheap drama to milk the cow. That guy who wanted to marry Asuna and trapped her in computer game makes no fucking sence, even less than everything before.

Well as you see the idea was good but bad writing with clishees and terrible ending plus trying to milk the cow have ruined such a promising story.
>>
File: 1502665915510.jpg (1MB, 1085x1535px) Image search: [Google]
1502665915510.jpg
1MB, 1085x1535px
>>161578097
It was a great concept ruined by horrible execution. There were only four episode I fully enjoyed and two were in the first season. The most redeeming thing about this anime is that it sparked interest in VR MMOs. Goddamn, I wish World of Warcraft in vanilla was like SAO. (Bonus points if I can play as a girl.)
>>
>>161574757
Source: Your ass. Fuck off.
>>
>>161574021
there were good and bad to it.

good-
solid "concept" - if not original the trapped in the MMORPG and it's a death game had a degree of horror to the concept that made it pop out and give you a strong impression. Their is no surprise the best episode was episode one.

The show actually was ok through episode 3, though the death of the midnight black cats was a bit forced I could handle it. It helped the MC couldn't just overpower everything because he was the MC.

Asuna - in the first arc and again in the last arc (mother's rosario) was a moderately ok character

Klein - woefully underutilized, klein might have been the best character in the show. shame he didn't have more screen time

The Mediocre
everything from episode 4-14 - the show mostly lived on the opening episode's death game premise, and from time to time was actually rather interesting. But it wandered about aimlessly for much of these 10 episodes, worse the MC became less and less interesting, as Kirito became videogame jesus. The moment Kirito was broken forever as a character probably was when he hacked the system to "save" yui. This might have been the moment the whole series stopped being interesting actually.

The Mother's Rosario Arc - This one actually flirted with almost being good at times. However it steered shamelessly into melodrama and Kirito saving the party so that they could do the boss raid was painfully akward. As was the implication that kirito could have won his duel with Yuki had he 'tried'

The BAD

Kirito - the MC of this shitpile is an inhuman amalgamation of several 14yo's wish fulfillment fantasies. He's poorly written, magicks his way through problems, never really loses (at least not since ep 3), somehow is an elite~ you know what I could spend another 1000 words writing how much i hate him

The Spurned Women's Club - aka the harem of side bitches who for "reasons" hang out with Kirito and Asuna.

Alfheim, Gun Gale, and excalibur arcs suck
>>
>>161578342
You seem quite butthurt and full of autism when did /a/ become this easy?
>>
I enjoyed Sinon and her character. She was what the MCs should've been.
>>
>>161578488
>pretending that you were pretending to be retarded as if that's supposed to be better when you were actually just being retarded
grow up.
>>
First: Good or bad, most of the people who hate it do so purely on the grounds that it's so popular. You can look at fidget spinners (a totally innocuous object to anyone who isn't a school teacher) to see this phenomenon.
Second: The characters aren't really that interesting. Kirito's a clumsy attempt at capturing a shut-in mmo nerd's edge, but there were much better ways they could've done that (SAO Abridged does it right, in a way that someone who actually plays mmos might have done it).
Third: The whole plot is kinda nonsense.
>>
>>161576820
/thread
>>
>>161574021
Those "many" are still a vocal minority compared to the actual fans. SAO is a literal cashcow and is not because the majority dislikes it.
>>
>>161574021
The hate for it is overblown. Yeah, it's bad, but there's a lot worse stuff out there, and spending your time actively hating it is a sign that you've only made a few steps into the medium at best.
>>
>>161574577
.hack//sign was basically the deconstruction of isekai before isekai was even a thing.
>>
File: 1503488647876.jpg (8KB, 239x250px) Image search: [Google]
1503488647876.jpg
8KB, 239x250px
My beef with SAO is I thought it started really good then it really went downhill in the second half. It was a big disappointment to me so to see people hyping it up as the best anime ever was annoying.

Way too overhyped, that is the problem. If people just admit its OK and the second half sucked I wouldnt feel the need shit on it.
>>
>>161579457
It really was, wasn't it
>Loser gets stuck in an MMO
>Gets super OP power
>But he is an antisocial jerk
>Very few people put up with him
>His power makes all the other players hate him for being a cheater
>Otherwise all he's good for is support spells while the actual fighters do the fighting
>Best result for him is being able to go back to his real body.
>>
>>161579893
>>161579457
You know, I didn't understand how people could understand Macha until it was pointed out to me years later.

I thought it was just some special link Tsukasa had with Macha, but she was just an NPC speaking in text that Tsukasa could read since he could still see the UI, but we can't.
>>
>>161577992
You do? I want her to sit on my dick.
>>
>>161574021
It served us a trapped in a game scenario, but even in a first half of the first season they abandoned it so they could turn it into romance, then ecchi and harem and retardation. Also, there was never really any sense of danger since Kirito was hax level
>>
>>161580505
>never any sense of danger
He was a pixel away from being a tv meal for brains multiple times.
That said, the anime sure is a rollercoaster in multiple ways. Progressive is much better, and should be animated with love and huge budget.
>>
>>161574021
Because somehow it is cool to hate SAO. Maybe because e-celebs hated the show.
>>
>>161574126
ALO was kinda meh, but dem sugus, and double NTR was fun
GGO was stupid, but it has the best girl of th whole show
Alice is defnitely the best arcand I cant wait for s3
>>
I haven't seen SAO but I know I should hate it because everyone else does.
>>
Personally I was just disappointed. When the anime was first announced years ago everyone was hyped up because people thought it was going to be .hack, but without it feeling slow.
The first 9 episodes delivered, but everything after was just wrapped around forced romance and an implied harem theme.
>>
>>161580647
>He was a pixel away from being a tv meal for brains multiple times.
That doesn't matter. As far as the internet is concerned, if a series isn't routinely killing off main characters, and the hero isn't a continuous failure who seldom manages to save anyone, there's no sense of danger.
>>
>>161581273
I really enjoyed the romance, and the overall story of the first part. However, the pacing felt very wrong when suddenly they rushed things and they got killed the last boss in an instant. This series could have easily expanded the setting and characters but for some reason they decided to end fast.
>>
>>161579457
> before isekai was even a thing.

isekai existed long long before .hack.
>>
>>161581812
I guess I should say before it entered vogue.
>>
the story was a clusterfuck of themes and didn't have any solid ground to stand on. If the story was clearly about the MC and his journey through the original ordeal and how it affected him once they escaped the game, that would be a better story than it just continuing game after game.

The scene where he instinctively adopts his stance while duelling his sister in kendo is pretty compelling. It could have been a great story about how he tries to re-adapt to the real world after being stuck in a virtual one facing death every day.

Instead, this sort of storytelling is forgotten in favour of "lol harem romance" and incest.
>>
>>161581158
Alicization adaptation will be a miss. A very big miss. A1 can't do adaptation for shit, heck, they did a poor job in S1 and S2, which were supposed to be the most easy
>>
That show was digusting at times. Anyone remember the season finale where Kirito sits with Asuna on her hospital bed and the look into the night sky, only to reveal that their video game avatars are WATCHING THEM.
>>
I'm surprised nobody posted THAT gif yet
>>
>>161581700
>Sachi
>PK
>Aids-chan
>>
File: hacksign-502cd292f292d[1].png (262KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
hacksign-502cd292f292d[1].png
262KB, 500x281px
.hack//sign did it better.
>>
>>161578010
>>161578246
tl;dr

the idea is cool but they fucked the execution
>>
>>161582252
It was the bomb diggity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0Dm_yj4sDQ
>>
>>161581896
I am only worried about the length. There's enough material to animate at least 48 eps, but I doubt they want to commit to that much anime. So they are going to butcher or ignore some things.

Hopefully they will keep the cute kohai rape.
>>
>>161582252
>>161582314
Where do I start with the .hack series? I've heard good things, but it seems to have lots of spinoffs and such
>>
>>161579587
/ A / hates everything, this is the fucking internet, but the digibro gave reason to hate, not because people like to hate, but because SAO is legitimately bad, other explanations that I can think of are:

> Is bad and overrated
> Is the favorite of the children and edgy-teenagers
> Flooded the market for shitty Light Novels adaptations

I personally think it's mediocre that it does not deserve even the hatred
>>
>>161574021

just watch SAO Abridged, its better
>>
>>161582389
>/ A /
Go away and never post again.
>>
>>161574021
Very weak bait
>>
>>161582385
start with .hack//sign

It was the first part of the franchise to come out and is canonically one of the first stories.

.hack, the PS2 game is a direct sequel to .hack//sign

From there its kinda up to you, legends of the twilight was kinda garbo. You can just move on to .hack//GU, also for PS2 though its getting an hd rerelease soon, so you could just play that.

But yeah, the important stuff in order is
.hack//sign
.hack
.hack//GU

Other stuff is fluff unless I missed anything, I admit I didn't really follow anything after .hack.
>>
>>161582484
*chronologically, not canonically.

Though it is that too
>>
>>161582385
>>161582484
Just fair warning, there isn't very much action at all in .hack//sign. For an anime set in a fantasy MMO, they spend 95% of the time standing around and talking.

It's still worth watching because the dialogue and story is pretty good, but don't go in expecting much action
>>
File: 63485552_p0_master1200.jpg (287KB, 620x1012px) Image search: [Google]
63485552_p0_master1200.jpg
287KB, 620x1012px
>>161574021
>Why do so many people hate sword art online?
No idea
>>
>>161574021
>I thought it was a really solid show full of great action scenes and really interesting characters
>great action scenes
>really interesting characters

Flashy particle effects and good character designs do not make good action scenes or interesting characters
>>
>>161574382
>has been growing
Not artistically. It's probably at one of its most creatively bankrupt points

>>161576376
I think aggressively mediocre would be a better way of explaining why it is so hated
>>
>>161574021
>really interesting characters

heh
>>
>>161576820
Fuck off, newfag

/a/ hated SAO from pretty much day 1
>>
>>161582765
BEGONE THOT
>>
>>161582977
>le creativity bankrupcy meme
>>
>>161579587
>>161583010
Nice revisionism.
>>
>>161574382
Isekaid always existed, but it was SAO the one that popularized it as a self insert power fantasy.
>>
>>161583456
Go read some of the archived threads from when it was airing back in 2012, newfag

Le Digiboogieman didn't make his videos until 2 years after SAO first aired
>>
>>161583546
I was there actually-
>>
I want to plow Sugu from behind
>>
I don't hate it. It definitely isn't good but I did enjoy it somewhat. It's the TV anime equivalent of a flick.
>>
>>
>>161583654
It's far less effective without the sound.
>>
>>161584024
>>161583654
https://youtu.be/vzxbodu3AnY?t=13
>>
I hate how it's basically wasted potential. You have modern homebodies thrown into a deadly situation, and then just rush through it in thirteen episodes, to make way for shit that has no meaning and impact and isn't at all as interesting as the Aincrad shit. Also, fuck Kirito, he should have remained an insecure loner torturing himself over his failure with the Black Cats instead of becoming Jesus-kun. Would have been more interesting.
>>
File: Mei Ebino 2.png (369KB, 669x757px) Image search: [Google]
Mei Ebino 2.png
369KB, 669x757px
>>161574021
I enjoyed Sword Art Online.

I would even go so far as to call the Aincrad arc kinda good. Everything after is a fucking mess of course, but to me it's an entertaining mess.

Anyway, the superior way to enjoy SAO is through the abridged series, which many say is better than the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIj49_mqcMs
>>
>>161574021
The show sucked and even the first season was below average. The reason being Kirito is a badass is probably the main reason it sucked. Gary stu and a chick magnet to top it off. Heathcliff was cool but the show didn't use him all that much. Kayaba is a psycho but Kirito forgives him and becomes his friend even going as far as defending him. Show sucked bud.
>>
The protagonist is an offensively bland gary stu. Kirito has no personality and yet we are subjected to the story focusing on him and his incredibly bland adventures. The worst part is how the universe he lives in just warps itself to make him the best at everything. Every single weird, questionable detail in SAO can be traced back to this: if something seems really odd or out of place it's 99.99% likely to be that way because it was necessary in order to make Kirito look good.
>>
>>161574577
>downloaded all the games
>to play/watch everything in order
>still havent got around in doing it
>>
>>161584716
>>161584862
>the epic gary stu meme
>>
>>161585104
He is though. Author built every single rule in every game he plays to make Kirito the best at everything. Bosses that can be solo killed, skills only available to one player in the whole server just to make him more special and unique, the entire bizarre leveling scheme in SAO was also pretty much contrived to have Kirito be permanently stronger than everyone else in the game. And SAO is supposedly the "better written" part of the novels, but I don't deny it gets even more blatant how much the author warps reality for Kirito later on, like in GGO. Holy shit the BS in GGO makes me convinced SAOtards have IQs below room temperature to defend it.
>>
>>161585422
It is pretty illogical than any MMO would be built in a way that one character can solo everything. Kinda defeats the point of being an MMO
>>
>>161574021
Because it's just not very good. The plot's uninspired in just about every way, the protagonist is a selfish dickhead, the supporting cast aren't half as interesting as you think they are, the action scenes are nothing special.

Sure, the level of hate it gets is out of proportion to its level of quality - the show's not really any good, but it's not THAT bad - but everything it does, some other show does better. If it was more enjoyable overall than the sum of its parts - some shows are - I could at least give it "it was entertaining", but it didn't manage even that.
>>
>>161585729
Basically. Just one more way that it's clear the author doesn't know a goddamned thing about MMOs, and it's there as a coat of paint over an otherwise fairly standard isekai.
>>
>>161585422
>skills only available to one player in the whole server
There are 10 unique skills and given each to different player depending on which area they excel the most and Kirito's is reaction speed, therefore, he got the Dual Blades, you fucking speedwatcher retard.

>>161586022
>Just one more way that it's clear the author doesn't know a goddamned thing about MMOs
Oh, this meme again. Kawahara is a huge Ultima Online and RO player. Next you're gonna say the next meme that is "HE WROTE IT WHEN HE WAS 15 YEARS OLD" even though he was 25 when he wrote SAO.
>>
>>161586145
>Oh, this meme again. Kawahara is a huge Ultima Online and RO player.
Well if that's the case, then he's just a shit writer, because the story does not reflect any real understanding of MMOs.
>>
>>161574021
I for one was told to watch it because the art was good...

Yes I was told to watch it because the art was good. The end result is me saying the art was PRETTY too look at but everything (characters, designs, 'plot', and even the game itself) was a massive pile of disappointment.
>>
File: looking at the menu.jpg (48KB, 848x480px) Image search: [Google]
looking at the menu.jpg
48KB, 848x480px
>>161585729
>>161586022
>what is mythical items in tibia that only a few players have
>what is getting the highest levels before fighting boss
If anything, this proves the author is a patrician at MMOs since he went for designing an interesting and not a modern cookie-cutter MMO.
>>
Because it's shit and the Abridged Version is a thousand times better.
>>
File: 1385440262032.jpg (10KB, 154x193px) Image search: [Google]
1385440262032.jpg
10KB, 154x193px
>>161585104
Are you seriously pretending otherwise? Kirito is basically the fucking posterboy for Gary Stu's.
>>
>>161586596
I dunno... his MMO design wound up being cookie cutter uninspired isekai, and not something I'd consider interesting to play as an MMO.

>>161586653
"hurr durr the X meme" is about the only defense they've got, since they can't actually refute it.
>>
>>161586709
Depending on the MMO, I might go for his jacket, as long as perhaps you can get some armored pants or something to go with it.

Otherwise I agree
>>
>>161574316

Deus Ex Machina writing is s serious flaw in story telling. If you cant recognized that this is a bad thing and millions of writers and authors earnestly try to avoid this, you sir must be in middle or school or a retard.
>>
>>161582389
> / A /
Hi new friend
>>Flooded the market for shitty LN adaptations
Uh no blame that on Haruhi and Bakemonogatari SAO only caused Re:zero out of ten and all the other BS lurk more or at least learn about anime history before you post on /a/
>>
I watched it cold, before I discovered /a/ and I don't know or care who Digibro is.

So Asuna starts off as a very strong female character, but she later drops off as a helpless heroine to be saved. The entirety of ALO was her being helpless and getting "almost raped" by people. So it made her much less interesting as a result. Her dealing with online addiction and family issues hit home for me, but you get the feeling she's just not there when she needs to be - basically every time something interesting happens in game.

Every villain after the first was flat. We have a rapey elf and DEATH GUN who shoots GUNS OF DEATH. You cannot emphasize with them at all, making them very boring as characters. And if I'm criticizing how boring the characters around Kirito are, guess what I'm going to say about the self-insert MC himself.
>>
>>161586852
/a/
a
/
>>
>>161586653
>>161586709
More like "hurrr durrr Gary Stu" is about the only "criticism" you got, since none of you can pay attention to the show and notice the things that clearly point out that Kirito is not a Gary Stu. You're just blind fucking shitposters who shit on the show to rile people up out of bias.
>>
File: 1502997042970.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1502997042970.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>161586970
Sure buttercup.
>>
>>161587026
"Sure buttercup" is about the only comeback you got since yo can't refute me.
>>
>>161586854

just watch the Abridged.
>>
File: 1496104718050.jpg (52KB, 517x524px) Image search: [Google]
1496104718050.jpg
52KB, 517x524px
>>161587084
Okay cupcake.
>>
>>161587124
People who watch abridged version of anything are obnoxious 12 years old with "LOL SO RANDUMB FUNNI" sense of humor.

Ironically people who suggest to watch the abridged version of SAO are the same people who condescendingly claim "SAO is for 12 years old".
>>
>>161587156
"Okay cupcake" is about the only defense you've got since you can't actually refute me.
>>
File: 1470906530869.jpg (23KB, 344x382px) Image search: [Google]
1470906530869.jpg
23KB, 344x382px
>>161587226
Fine honey.
>>
>>161586970
I liked how he called himself a "Beater." That's like bragging how good you are at cheating (Cheater) and it sets him up to be a guy that doesn't deserve the fame and recognition he gets.

But then he becomes a fucking Gary Stu. Oh, DOES the deaths of the party you failed to save weigh on your mind? How nice that you have a new family to love and protect, right before it gets bad. DO you need to save the girl you loved from being raped by the rape elf? And of course you're going into GGO to save the day, and you're going to use a fucking sword too.
>>
>>161574021
SAO has good world building but shit character development.
In a way you can't really blame the author because SAO was one of his early works, the first novel initially being something submitted for a contest as sort of a one shot.
Honestly speaking Reki Kawahara has grown as a writer over time, and the SAO movie is a testament to that development.
Now that the Alicization arc of novels is finally finished, its the first time Kawahara's going to be continuing the story on a completely clean canvas without having to adapt old content from his web novelization version.
>>
cool action and OSTs were the only things that made it bearable.
>>
>>161587249
"Fine honey" is about the only defense you've got since you can't actually refute me.

>>161587306
>he called himself a Beater
If you actually pay fucking attention instead of being a smug-faced retarded monkey with a bias, you would know that other players call him a beater. Beater is a pejorative term in SAO for ALL players who were in the beta test of the game and were accused of cheating because they tend to keep the information they knew since the beta test to themselves.

If he was a Gary Stu, he would actually manage to save his party members.

>DO you need to save the girl you loved from being raped by the rape elf?
Yes, let's just let the rape elf rape the girl he loves. Totally logical.
>Going into GGO to save the day
Yes, let's ignore that he entered GGO to investigate a rumor and found out that the remnants of a PK guild from SAO days are still running rampant and the important character arc where Kirito was reminded of the guilt of PKing people in SAO and overcoming it. You're saying like saving the day and stopping a murder spree is a bad thing. Gee, I wonder why would he use a sword?

>and you're going to use a fucking sword too.
Yeah man, it's not like he's most familiar with a sword and the sword being an available weapon in the game or something.
You're sounding more and more like a butthurt Log Horizon fag who is assmad that LH isn't getting another animated feature and the author being a tax fraud.
>>
>>161587628
I remember him calling himself a beater and I'd rather not believe that he did it solely to save the face of beta testers because that just makes him look even more flat as a character. And if he managed to save his party, he wouldn't be able to fill all that screen time later on with those fucking flashbacks. Poor him!

And then you seem to be refuting the point that Kirito was not justified in his actions. I did not make that point. My point was that he is never forced to make hard decisions and isn't a very interesting character as a result.
>>
>>161587628
Different anon, but...
>Beater is a pejorative term in SAO for ALL players who were in the beta test of the game and were accused of cheating because they tend to keep the information they knew since the beta test to themselves.
Doesn't stop him from adopting the term for himself.
>Yes, let's just let the rape elf rape the girl he loves. Totally logical.
You're kinda missing the point; in a better series she wouldn't be helpless in that position to begin with.
>>
How will /a/ feel if they decide to properly adapt Proressive?
>>
>>161574021
glop
>>
>>161587450
I liked Accel World more than shitaids.
>>
>>161587450
>In a way you can't really blame the author because SAO was one of his early works
I dunno about that. Plenty of other writers have had early works that aren't as well-written as their later works, but in most of those cases the quality of said early work is to a higher standard than SAO.
>>
File: 1503541827522.png (148KB, 2500x1645px) Image search: [Google]
1503541827522.png
148KB, 2500x1645px
>>161574021
>this thread
>>
>>161587855
>And if he managed to save his party
Yet he didn't. Therefore, not a Gary Stu.

>My point was that he is never forced to make hard decisions
Taking a life is one, and he clearly felt major remorse.
>>
>>161574021
>really interesting characters.
Only Klein and the black guy
>I don't know why Kirito gets so much shit, he's a really cool and badass character
Eres un gran Estúpido Retrasado
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs4eQodKVdU&feature=youtube_gdata_player
>>
>>161574021
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VsAzGuadc8&feature=youtube_gdata_player
>>
>>161588398
>Yet he didn't. Therefore, not a Gary Stu.
LITERALLY NEVER LOSES OR HAS ANY SETBACKS is not part of the definition of Mary Sue/Gary Stu.
>>
>>161588496
He lost to Yuuki, though.
>>
>>161588736
So?
>>
>>161588736
Yukki dies. Bam number 1 again.
>>
>>161589170
But Kirito never won against her. Forever have to hold that L.

>>161589126
>>161588496
Fights results aside, there are already points stated in the thread that made him not a Gary Stu.
>>
>>161589262
>Fights results aside, there are already points stated in the thread that made him not a Gary Stu.
Really? I haven't seen any that amount to more than "Kirito is a Gary Stu is a meme" or "no he isn't" with no justification for that position.
>>
>>161589374
Scrolling up isn't so hard, you know.
>>
he thinks hes cool but hes just a fag that plays video games
>>
>>161589391
I did. Still didn't see any good points.
>>
>>161589433

>>161587628
>>161588398

So far your posts seem to imply "THEY'RE NOT GOOD POINTS BECAUSE THEY PROVED ME WRONG REEEEEEEEEEE". Look, I know it's hard to accept that a show you look down upon and shit on so much turns out to have things that proved you wrong had you actually pay attention, but you just gotta live with the fact.
>>
>>161589391
>>161589433
Don't you think everything that needed to be said has been said? What's the point in replying any more?
>>
>>161589407
At least he has a hot banging GF.
>>
>>161589573
In the first one, the points about his reasoning for going into GGO and using a sword there are good ones, but pretty irrelevant to the question of whether he's a Gary Stu or not. I also don't agree that always winning all the time is an absolute requirement for being a Gary Stu.

And for that matter, in the second linked post, I don't think never having to make a tough decision or never regretting a past action is an absolute requirement either.

But there is no strict definition of Mary Sue/Gary Stu that is commonly accepted. But whether or not he's actually a Gary Stu is besides the point; either way he's an uninteresting and poorly written character in a poorly written series, and nothing you can say is going to convince me that no really, it is well-written.

You can like the character and enjoy the series, that's no skin off my nose. Knock yourself out, certainly I've enjoyed enough shows that by any objective analysis are pretty shit myself. But it was asked why people don't like this one, and the answer was given. Not my problem if you don't like the answer.

>>161589575
At this point, yeah.
>>
>>161574021
First, watch SAO: An Analytical Diatribe. Then watch SAO Abridged for an alternate reality in which it's actually good.

In short, SAO is the Japanese Twilight, only with way more staying power.
>>
File: 1501797799423.jpg (145KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1501797799423.jpg
145KB, 1280x720px
>the only good SAO arc had Miyuki Sawashiro
>the best Symphogear season had Miyuki Sawashiro
>>
>>161590442
>I also don't agree that always winning all the time is an absolute requirement for being a Gary Stu.
>I don't think never having to make a tough decision or never regretting a past action is an absolute requirement either.
So it's only a "Gary Stu" when you think it is? Pretty self-centered way of thinking there.
>nothing you can say is going to convince me that no really, it is well-written.
Nothing I can say? So you've made up your mind no matter what. If you're this biased and ignorant and choose to not listen to anyone, then I don't see why you need to keep replying to continue the discussion when it's apparent you're just gonna cover your ears and ignore any response given to you without any consideration whatsoever.

>besides the point
If you actually follow the posts chain, the point has always been whether or not he's a Gary Stu, that's what started this chain of replies.

>Not my problem if you don't like the answer
It is not a matter of like or dislike. The answers you gave are uninformed and were based on lack of attention when following the series. No surprise that someone would have to call you out on that. Not my problem if you can't pay attention and get things wrong, but making a claim and criticize something based on limited knowledge is certainly a problem.
>>
>>161590847
>First, watch SAO: An Analytical Diatribe. Then watch SAO Abridged for an alternate reality in which it's actually good.
Funny enough, you're the kind of people who would call anyone who watches SAO an underage, yet if you enjoy watching the abridged version of anything and consider it better than the source, you're pretty much the same as those obnoxious meme-spouting 12 years old with low brow humor.
>In short, SAO is the Japanese Twilight, only with way more staying power.
Twilight doesn't have Sinon, therefore it's shit.
>>
>>161590941
>So it's only a "Gary Stu" when you think it is? Pretty self-centered way of thinking there.
Of course not. But since there's no solid, commonly accepted definition, between "he is because I think he is" and "he isn't because you think he isn't" I'll go with the former, but I don't presume to think that everyone must agree with me that he is.
>Nothing I can say? So you've made up your mind no matter what. If you're this biased and ignorant and choose to not listen to anyone, then I don't see why you need to keep replying to continue the discussion when it's apparent you're just gonna cover your ears and ignore any response given to you without any consideration whatsoever.
I've seen all of the arguments in favour of the series already. If you think you can bring up something I haven't heard before that will convince me then be my guest and try, but it doesn't seem likely. And it's not like I think the series is absolutely devoid of redeeming qualities, it's just that I think they're way outnumbered by its flaws and the whole package - which I noted in some series can be greater than the sum of its parts - just isn't good enough.
>If you actually follow the posts chain, the point has always been whether or not he's a Gary Stu, that's what started this chain of replies.
Some people - including people in this thread - use Gary Stu as a shorthand for "poorly written character", rather than one of the more specific kinds of poorly written characters. So while people have been arguing all thread over Gary Stu or not, the heart of the argument is really how interesting and well-written the character is or isn't.
>>
File: 1499754599177.jpg (117KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
1499754599177.jpg
117KB, 1440x810px
>>161587628
Surc sweety
>>
>>161590941
>It is not a matter of like or dislike. The answers you gave are uninformed and were based on lack of attention when following the series. No surprise that someone would have to call you out on that. Not my problem if you can't pay attention and get things wrong, but making a claim and criticize something based on limited knowledge is certainly a problem.
"Uninformed"? To a certain extent, I guess... I only ever bothered watching the first series, and my memory of some of the specifics are a little fuzzy. I'll certainly accept that later parts were better written, but what I've seen left a poor enough impression on me that it's just not worth my time to A) continue or B) re-watch it for the sake of making more informed arguments on the internet.
>>
File: VcElfqE.jpg (685KB, 1130x1217px) Image search: [Google]
VcElfqE.jpg
685KB, 1130x1217px
When someone says Kirito is badass
>>
>>161591827
Kirito = Black Swordsman
Guts = Blacked Swordsman
>>
File: 14.jpg (481KB, 1850x800px) Image search: [Google]
14.jpg
481KB, 1850x800px
>>161591919
>Kirito uses bullshit armour plot
>Kirito is a sister fucker
>Guts is a one-hundred man slayer
>Guts has more character development
>>
>>161592163
At least Kirito didn't get blacked in the ass.
>>
>>161592222
And even with that, Guts is still, more manly than that faggot Kirito can ever aspire to be.
>>
>>161592222
If Kirito was in berserk he'll be raped more than Guts.
While on the other hand Guts killed his rapists by himself
>>
This thread fucking sucks and shows why /a/ sucks now
>>
>>161592360
>Kirito never get blacked like a faggot
>Kicked the shit out of the guy who almost raped his waifu in front of him while Guts could only scream "GRIFFIIIIIIIIIITH"

Kirito is manlier than FagGuts confirmed.

>>161592407
>I-If this character was in this other show, he would
Wow, I didn't know Durrserk fags are such underage who like playing "what ifs".

I'm so glad SAO got a lot of high quality sakuga while Durrserk got an abomination of an anime.
>>
File: 1476084913459.gif (90KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1476084913459.gif
90KB, 480x270px
>>161574021
Because the author made a show about an MMO without knowing anything about a fucking MMO.

Kirito is a blank slate self insert for anyone to push themselves onto, he has very little in terms of personality and I don't find him to be at all interesting.

Every single girl wanting his dick is not very beneficial to the show's story, in fact, I'd say it hinders character development overall.

The first half of the first season was trash, I'm not going to say it was even mediocre, because it was solid trash. With the laziest time skips I have ever seen, and the hamfisted way they tried to get you to give a shit about some literally who guild being killed off, it was shit from beginning to end.

And the fanbase is trash, too. Full of people that think they are le ebin weeaboos because they've seen an anime that isn't Dragonball Z.
>>
>>161592761
>Because the author made a show about an MMO without knowing anything about a fucking MMO.

See>>161586145
>>
>>161592816
For such a huge fan of those MMOs, he lacks even the most basic of fucking knowledge about them.
>>
>>161592816
Do we have a source for that beyond "anon user on an imageboard says so"?
>>
It's a chuuni show with a chuuni MC. Why do people like this garbage?
>>
>>161592904
The original LN fan translator on Baka-Tsuki posted that information 6-7 years ago before SAO anime was even announced. Kawahara likes doing interviews with his online fans back when SAO was still a web novel. Too lazy to dig it up, maybe Tap has it.
>>
>>161593117
I did a bit of searching and yeah, it's at least reported that he did play a lot of UO and RO.

>>161592863
To be fair, writers do often change or ignore details of things for the sake of making for a better story. In this case though, that makes it even more damning since he changed so much so badly that it looks like he knows nothing and the changes didn't make the story any better. (Or if they did, it was starting from a really fucking low base.)
>>
Because Digibro hates it
>>
>>161574021
1. Meta level - it started the low-quality Gary Stu MC issekai boom, due to it's popularity.
2. It shit on itself at any given opportunity. From basic world building and storytelling to characters.
>>
>>161594049
i want to believe he's the embodiment of this shit board
>>
>>161576820
Kill yourself anon, and go back to /v/ for bringing e-celebs.

SAO already pissed a lot of people with it's autistic second episode. Expectations for it were through the roof ranging from the established of working economy and motivation to risk lives(that Log Horison actually did) to just simple characters driven drama. All we got is a 2months timeskip and 2k people dead for some stupid reason.
>>
>>161594049
>youtube shills hate SAO
>It is one of the most successful franchises in recent times

>youtube shills overrate made in abyss
>it flops

Really makes you think
>>
>>161594049
>>161594254
You are the reason /a/ is going to shit. Keep your shitty e-celebs out of discussion. But fuck it, for every mouth breathing "analyst" there exists a bunch of cancerous reactionaries with 0.5-2milion subs.
>>
>>161578892
Wasn't even the guy you responded to. Its just the fact that you couldn't realize how the guy wasn't being serious and being very eager to show off your autism felt amusing.
>>
It was rushed, poorly paced, garbage that was only ever mediocre at its best. It stretches its own rules--which only make sense half the time--to the breaking point, and the weird AI daughter plot was truly awful.

The only reason it caught on is because unrealistic, "I'm the baddest of all the badasses and I get all the ladies and have super cool powers no one else has!" is pretty appealing to the average weeb.

The rest of us prefer to jack off to porn.
>>
Sword Art Online should have ended after they escaped the game. Everything else has nothing to do with the original plot, and only further bastardizes the characters.

>Kirito was a loner, but grew into a team player and successfully saves everyone
>Asuna started as a bitch, but became a loving wife who could also kick ass. Except when she died.
>Black Blacksmith bro was the best fucking bro around. He's the only one not fucked by the continued stories, as far as I know.
>Sword guy with the headband was the funny gag character, but became the Snarf of the team.
>GGO was a fun side thing that could have stood on its own two feet, but it really went crazy for no reason by bringing back the league of faggot assassins from the first game/story.

I won't even mention the dying AIDS girl or the Excalibur shit. Those were terrible.
>>
>>161593807
While going with a more traditional MMO setup such as combining SAO's leveling system with ALO's magic and healers might have been better, it's still ridiculous how much people bitch that "he knows nothing about MMOs", especially when they hold .hack up on a pedestal in comparison.

Don't get me wrong, I like .hack. But the blunt facts are that the original .hack games were a far worse offender in terms of knowing nothing about MMORPGs. The concept of guilds is non-existent. The closest you get is the Crimson Knights who are treated as both some sort of revolutionary idea, and as pseudo-moderators/GMs. The character classes are just Blademaster, Heavy Axeman, Heavy Blade, Long Arm, Twin Blade, and Wavemaster. Wavemaster being the sole wizard class with no differentiation between offensive magic users and defensive magic users. Ranged weapons like bows don't exist outside of background characters in the anime possessing them. Shields basically didn't exist, nor did the concept of tanks. Which doesn't matter much as the concept of boss raids doesn't seem to exist either. While that's partly the fault of the limitations of the PS2, nothing outside of that does anything to change that. Orca and Balmung got their fame by defeating some super-hard event boss with just the two of them(by figuring out the really simple trick to it no less). While that is treated as unusual and a big deal, there are no examples of the opposite. No mentions of bosses taking multiple parties working together to defeat, cinematics seldom include all the party members they could include to indicate that yeah, the boss did take a bunch of people, and so on.

.hack//G.U. fixes some of that, adding guilds, better differentiating classes, and such. But the only thing that early .hack had over SAO as far as portraying MMOs was it having magic and a magic using class. In just about everything else it's equal or worse.
>>
>>161594751

.hack wasn't trying to copy existing MMORPG conventions..They just took the base concept and ran with it. Sword Art Online made an attempt to replicate it and made the writers look like they had no idea what they were talking about. What wasn't right wasn't changed to make the story better. It just makes the writers look like they didn't think things out.

Probably because Sword Art Online was rushed and not thought out.
>>
>>161578397
Agreed, I'd also add Kayaba to the good parts, I liked that the 4000 people were genuinely killed and not saved in some kind of sappy "it was a ruse all along" way.
>>
Gun Gale would be a great series if it didn't have any connection to the original series. Make it a spin-off and put the focus on Sinon and boom. Good series.
>>
I couldn't bear to watch past ALO, what happens to Asuna afterwards? I only cared about her, Klein, and Agil. And Kayaba to a degree.
>>
File: asunastacked.jpg (265KB, 1067x1600px) Image search: [Google]
asunastacked.jpg
265KB, 1067x1600px
I thought season 1 of SAO was god awful and couldn't get through 3 episodes of the second season.

Despite this, I'm still wondering if I should pick up Progressive, mainly because I can't resist Kiseki's characters.
>>
>>161591024
The abridged version of SAO does fix SAO. Cant say the same for other abridged shows but SAO Abridged is great
>>
>>161595930
Agreed, and abridged of Hellsing fix my need to laugh because fuck these enthusiastic walks.
>>
File: 1503823690729.jpg (236KB, 397x600px) Image search: [Google]
1503823690729.jpg
236KB, 397x600px
>>
>>161574021
its shit mate
>>
I can't seriously recommend any anime that needs to rely on tentacle bondage in its story.
>>
>>161586850

>Deus Ex Machina writing is s serious flaw in story telling. If you cant recognized that this is a bad thing and millions of writers and authors earnestly try to avoid this, you sir must be in middle or school or a retard.

Then why are modern western literature is full of garbage like that?
>>
i can't fucking WAIT to see canon Asuka nips.

wish it was Suguha, but i'll take what i can get.
>>
>>161595773
It's somewhat decent. The beginning reads like an apology to the side characters, which I approve of.
It's far from being a masterpiece and has still a bunch of contrived nonsense, but seeing multiple characters having their own stuff to care about makes for a much better read. Heck, they got Klein better than the show without him having even appeared yet.

>>161595564
Asuna gets a mini arc about her family issues and some melo drama. After that come the novels with apparently a bunch of extra characters before Asuna and the girls join the plot later.
Klein gets like one facial expression in an filler arc an that's it.
>>
If SAO is so hated why do so many people defend it in these threads?
Checkmate atheists.
>>
>>161581158
>>161574126
GGO as a game is objectively better than SAO in every measure.

Yeah the storyline is shit, but so is every other arc.
>>
>>161598101
flawed writing / bad storytelling, sadly, has no real impact on the coin-toss of popularity and thus visible "success"

which means that cranking out the highest volume of utter garbage you possibly can will generally give better returns than taking your time, being careful, and constructing a single genuinely "good" story

welcome to modern humanity; everything sucks
>>
>>161602231
That only means "good" and "bad" writing are useless attributes.
>>
>>161602288
no, it means that "good" and "bad" writing have less of an impact on whether a given author/story gets lucky and becomes popular

just look at fucking twilight, shit is literal garbage of the lowest possible quality yet the author made fucking bank

nobody in their right mind would recommend that someone read it, because it's garbage, but that had no impact on its popularity

"bad" stories are still "bad"
>>
Why does everyone become an expert reviewer when it comes to SAO? Lots of shitty anime gets a pass here because "hurr ddurr fun things are fun". But SAO gets finely picked apart by autistic anime pros
>>
>>161574021
>people
That's a funny way to spell contrarian faggots. SAO is a totally average anime based on an above average series of LNs, so having really strong feeling about it either way is retarded. If you think it's the best thing ever, then you're a newfag and you need to watch/read more things. If you treat it as the worst thing ever made, then you're trying to show off your eliteâ„¢ taste by shitting on a mainstream show and you're after hipster points. I happen to think the LNs were entertaining and the adaptation isn't horrendous so I'd watch a 3rd season or one more movie.
>>
File: 1503848405757.jpg (188KB, 960x1620px) Image search: [Google]
1503848405757.jpg
188KB, 960x1620px
Does anyone know what this was all about?

I feel the series would've been a lot better if Kirito were gay and had to awkwardly explain to every girl after his dick that he's into guys.
>>
>>161604007
This is the main "heroine" of the next season of SAO.
Yes Kirito is gay.
>>
File: 1491421412551.png (612KB, 740x960px) Image search: [Google]
1491421412551.png
612KB, 740x960px
>>
>>161574021
They are jealous fucks
>>
Are there any semi-decent MMO anime left? I've seen .hack and Log Horizon but avoided SAO because I've only heard bad things about it.
>>
Because while it started out good it got really fucking bad. And there are a lot of people who can't accept that.
The fanbase is easy to bully.
>>
>>161574021
Probably because it only got worse the longer it went on. I've never seen a series where there was such a noticable and continuous drop in quality with each and every arc.
>>
>>161604629
I'd say the Aincrad arc is decent. And the GunGale arc at least isn't as bad as the Alfheim arc.

People get way too caught up in either trying to love every aspect of the show or hating it all. If you just think about it as a stupid melodramatic show it becomes way more entertaining.

Again though, I'll say the Aincrad arc was decent.
>>
the only reason i hate SAO is because it took the spotlight from a way better show from the same creator

AW is so much better than SAO
>>
>>161604629
>avoided SAO because I've only heard bad things about it
People like this actually exist
>>
>>161604629
dude, just watch it and make your own opinion about it.
>>
>>161574021
I hated the sequels because they were just "Hey what if we gave Kirito wings and sheit, what if we make him a girl and sheit" and that was it basically.
>>
Klein is the best character.
>>
File: glop.png (60KB, 961x789px) Image search: [Google]
glop.png
60KB, 961x789px
SAOfags will defend this
>>
>>161574021
As a game it really fucking sucked desu
>>
>>161604629
I watched it with friends. We all thought it was shit, but we still had a good time. Made a bunch of inside jokes because of it.
>>
File: 0.gif (946KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
0.gif
946KB, 320x240px
>>161574094
>>161574160
>Isekai
honest question. for these stories, why not cut out the depature from irl world exposition and make these stories strictly a fantasy world?
all the elements are there and it would be a much more consistent narrative
>>
Because Kirito managed to find ALL the women playing a recently released hardcore MMO and they ALL fell in love with him.
No matter how good you are at a videogame, it's still a fucking videogame. I don't think the top raiders/pvpers in WoW are exactly drowning in pussy.
It had an entirely unnecessary and unrealistic harem and wasted screen time on it when it already a romance aspect when that aspect was already more than enough.
>>
>>161606492
Gimmick to make them appear more interesting than they actually are.
>>
>>161590442
>the points about his reasoning for going into GGO and using a sword there are good ones, but pretty irrelevant to the question of whether he's a Gary Stu or not.
It is relevant to shit eater.
It's the equivalent of having a western and having some exclusively sword wielding samurai defeat everyone with sheer agility and skill someone overcoming overwhelming firepowering head on and ignoring the skill involved with guns in so you can wank how cool the character is.
>>
>>161574021
Because it's a turd that makes a lot of money
>>
>>161579548
this pretty much
the only thing i would amend is that kirito himself is a very lame MC but that's not the worst crime ever
>>
File: Subarashii_01_2.jpg (404KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Subarashii_01_2.jpg
404KB, 1280x720px
>>161605801
>Chapter 16.5
>its real
Holy fuck you cant make this shit up.
>>
>>161605801
fake!
>>
Why does everyone complain about him being a Gary Stu when you have fahgots like Oniichan and a show about a guy with a cellphone
>>
Kirito is a boring MC. In the real world he's some sort of expert techie since birth, and his muscle memory transferred over from SAO to real life so he somehow has decent sword skills. He also has the apparent exclusive knowledge of riding a manual transmission motorcycle because they're so rare.

In SAO, he's literally the strongest player and has an exclusive skill that only he has. He attracts all the ladies. In ALO, his stats transferred over and he beats the supposed strongest player by again using his super secret dual wielding, which is made even more exclusive because it doesn't exist in ALO. He now is so attractive to ladies that even his sister-cousin wants him now, along with the leaders of two of the races in the game. Kirito also chose some rare underdog race to help emphasize how unique he is. He also picks up the control-less flying with pretty much no problem at all. In GGO, he literally predicts where bullets will go. One of his first feats in the game was to beat a game that was more or less designed to be impossible to beat. In a game about guns, he chooses to have a sword to again, show how super special he is.

I'm only just starting the second novel of GGO, but I'd only assume his gary-stuness only gets worse.
>>
>>161608319
>In GGO, he literally predicts where bullets will go

I always thought this was a weird thing to complain about, and a weird thing for characters in the show to be surprised about. I mean, if you can't dodge bullets after they've been fired, naturally the only way to avoid getting hit is to predict where and move out of the way before then.
>>
The best thing about SAO is the music, and it's actually pretty shit.
>>
That feel when 90% of posters don't realize that SAO was a short story, written before WoW even came out, and that's why so much is missing from the show.

It's fun to watch if you're tripping on dissociatives though.
>>
>>161594872
I think you've got that backwards. .hack was specifically attempting to create the feel of an MMORPG. Hence the desktop portion of the game with 'email' and 'message boards'. They clearly recognized they missed some important things like guilds given they improved substantially in G.U. SAO on the other hand was just the author trying to create his own MMO with some changes in conventions to suit the story he wanted to write.

>>161607366
Mainly because Mary Sue/Gary Stu has long since degenerated in meaning to "competent character that I don't like" with aspects like 'can do anything and everything even better than the experts' or 'easily succeeds at everything they try' being lost in the process.

>>161609445
The really weird thing about it is that he isn't predicting anything. The game itself is predicting where the bullets would go, and Kirito's just sticking his sword in the way of the ones that'll hit him.
>>
>>161590939
But Fine was only in G for about 10 seconds of screentime.
>>
>>161579587
No, /a/ always has a vocal hatebase for any remotely popular show, and SAO was just the same as any other series in that regard.
The thing is that the hatebase had legitimate complaints this time, so the threads were far more based around arguing between the detractors and the people trying to defend the show.
>>
File: 1503609178329.jpg (156KB, 336x639px) Image search: [Google]
1503609178329.jpg
156KB, 336x639px
>>161574021
Pretty bad bait, but I'm just going to assume you're underage and don't know any better
>>
>>161608319
It did get worse in GGO. In Alfheim he basically forgets everything that ever scarred him for life and then he remembers it in GGO. The bullshit was off the charts in GGO and yeah the chick magnet thing was still there and got worse. They turn the antagonist into a rapist so that he can barge in to save her.
>>
>>161574021
He literally got a qt gf while playing video games.
He's my hero.
>>
>>161589262
It doesn't matter if he never won, the only person better than him doesn't exist anymore and they only had a spar before she died a few episodes later.
>>
SAO would've been better as an anthology series.
>>
>>161612207
Guess every character is a Gary Stu if we can excuse any loss they have as "b-but X happened later" as if this invalidated the loss
>>
>>161603720
Expectations of SAO were sky high
Expectations of K-On were it would be shameless CGDCT
>>
File: 1503220299735.jpg (643KB, 800x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1503220299735.jpg
643KB, 800x2000px
>>161607307

The thing about the SoA/The Matrix genre is; when you've "waken up" from the dream/matrix reality, how do you that you've really left the maxtrix/dream reality?

>In before season 3 SoA where they're still in the hospital with the helmets on.
Thread posts: 234
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.