[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was Charlotte so bad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8

File: large.gif (2MB, 499x281px) Image search: [Google]
large.gif
2MB, 499x281px
Every day of my life I am reminded about how much I wish Charlotte was good. But it's just not. Why, /a/, why. Why was this so bad?
>>
because it was made as if it were a visual novel with 60 hours, but without all the character building that would be necessary to make me give a shit
>>
>>160516827
k thanks bro, pretty eloquent. /thread I'd say
>>
>>160516896
I have other reasons too.
the part with the brother was way more interesting and he probably should have been the main character.
also their "solution" at the end was to completely rid the world of powers without their consent, or ever discussing if there was a better alternative. this is why in the last episode MC comes off as an Xmen villain, because he basically is one
>>
>>160516827

Nah, I CAN doubt about that on Angel Beats!, but Charlotte was HORRIBLE.
>>
>>160516716
because a 2 or 3 cour anime got jammed into 1 cour
>>
File: So Close yet so far.png (4MB, 1920x1369px) Image search: [Google]
So Close yet so far.png
4MB, 1920x1369px
>>160516716
I had no idea what this show was supposed to be. The first episode was wonderful but it dropped off very quickly. It became superpower of the week, to action, to mystery and to whatever the ending was. Several things were brought up and then never touched on again such as the bullying, the main girl's brother, the people who kidnapped the main girl among many other things. This show was garbage.
>>
>>160516716
Because it has one of the worst messages I've seen in an anime.

"If you're being discriminated against, eliminate your own race."
>>
>>160516716
I went in with no knowledge of what it was supposed to be or the source material. It was alright.
>>
Jun Maeda has never interacted with another human being in his entire life.
>>
File: 1488007873612.jpg (145KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1488007873612.jpg
145KB, 1920x1080px
What was her name /a/?
>>
Because much like George Lucas, Maeda is only good when he has a team of editors to tell him when his ideas are shit.
>>
>>160516716
It tried to be something bigger than itself. Should've stayed as a lighthearted mystery/drama instead of whatever we got.
>>
>>160516716
but it was great?

>that episode nine reveal
>>
File: RamenRage.jpg (46KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
RamenRage.jpg
46KB, 1280x720px
>>160522648
What kind of person would pretend Charlotte was good just to upset some people with different opinions on the internet?
>>
>>160522926
I liked the show anon
>>
>>160523471
Listen, I dunno what you watched, but if it was Charlotte, there's no way you could have un-memingly liked it. I respectfully accept your wrong opinion.
>>
>>160523697
I had a friend who watched and liked Memeoiga and liked it. People with shit tastes exist.
>>
I liked it for the MGSV parodies /a/ made for the last episode.
>>
>>160516716
It was fucking good and a masterpiece compared to the original shows /a/ shills nowadays
>>
Charlotte is the perfect example of something trying too hard to be more than it is but not having the resources or capability to measure up to those goals. I'm remembering how this show had time travel, SoL, drama and conspiracies all in the same 13 episodes

What the fuck were they even thinking with that last episode? Jesus
>>
File: 1441568201556.webm (2MB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
1441568201556.webm
2MB, 852x480px
>>160516716
I just pretend it ended with the guy saving his Imouto and then entering a relationship with her.
>>
>>160516716
Basically this: poor pacing. If it had more episodes and/or focused on the important things, it would have been a lot better.
>>
>>160516716
It should've been at least 2 cour.
>>
>>160522926
>SUZAK
>>
>>160519282
Touyama.
>>
>>160516716
It missed snow to be truly Jun Maeda kino.
>>
>>160523924
>last episode
I feel like Maeda was trying to emulate what happened with other Key protags. Like Tomoya who had to collect light balls and suffer/witness the suffering of many people or Yukito who turned into a crow and watches his waifu suffer. He wanted the protagonist to be involved in a big, emotional journey and end it with a tearjerker. The problem with Charlotte was he tried to do it in 23 minutes and of course it won't work.
>>
File: ray.png (21KB, 120x200px) Image search: [Google]
ray.png
21KB, 120x200px
>>160523952
>relationship

it's like you want the kids to come out with hammer's for brains m8
>>
>>160524930
Ok, newfag.
>>
>>160524609
Charlotte didn't end with a tearjerker tho, the ending was happy.
>>
I'M NUCLEAR!
>>
>>160524452
I came here to post this.
>>
The final episode itself warrants atleast 4-5 episodes, the backstory subplot another 2-3 episodes, and the imouto arc(complete with Yuu's character arc) needs another 2 episode.

So essential it needs a second cour. Well atleast it's opening is one of the best that year
>>
>>160525292
It didn't need a second cour, it needed an editor and to make up its mind on what kind of show it wanted to be. Like >>160517473 said it was like 5 different genres and the execution of any one or maybe 2 would have been ok, but this was a trainwreck.

The first episode where MC is an asshole had potential, and the episode where he goes off on his own as a "bad dude" was pretty good, but the rest of it was just bad.
>>
>>160525158
Nor did Clannad. I should've worded it better, not tearjerker, but more like a super emotional finish like Ushio and Nagisa revived and Misuzu's "goal". It was supposed to be this big ending where the protagonist had to sacrifice a lot to reach there. Technically Yu did sacrifice a lot to reach the end, but it was told in span of 23 minutes and mostly in this pseudo-montage where those people with superpowers who Yu stole did not have any character and exist just for Yu to stole their power. Might as well just tell it with a dialogue "oh, Yu stole those powers from people and he lost his mind and memory." In the end when he was reunited with Nao and the others, it didn't have the same emotional weight as when Tomoya and Nagisa smiling looking at Ushio playing in the Clannad VN's true ending.
>>
>>160525292
>it's opening is one of the best that year
>generic Lia shit
>>
The first sign I remember that it felt like something might go wrong with this show was when the MC immediately shifts from his unique personality to "regular dude" immediately in one episode. Like, I get it, you probably couldn't do an entire series of him being like that but did it have to be so quick?

The second sign was when there was an entire episode just to shill the CD of that one character who was a singer. And I'm no stranger to this but, like, they played the entire song. It wasn't even good.
>>
Remember her?

(When I really think back on it, this show had too many goddamn subplots)
>>
>>160525772
>and the episode where he goes off on his own as a "bad dude" was pretty good,
Man that was just too good for this show. There was a really good idea somewhere in this fucking piece of shit
>>
>>160526230
wasn't it implied she was time-jumping?
>>
>>160526230
I remember her for her singing voice, as I'm an utter sucker for marina. The English versions of Charlotte's songs were awful, but the Nip versions are great.
>>
>>160516716
It was about average for me, with some nice points.

The ED was one of my favorites for the year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsA1Bfeg4ng
>>
>>160526558
What if they just had Lia do all the English versions? Since she can actually pronounce English.
>>
>>160526784
If they did that then they wouldn't have used marina at all, whom Maeda had a liking for, as IIRC they didn't use any of the Japanese versions in the show. That said, Lia could definitely pull off English singing; disintegration is a great show of this. She's semi-retired ever since she had a kid though and thus she likely wouldn't have been up for doing a whole album.
>>
>>160516827
I had a dream it became a VN
>>
Doesn't the guy who wrote this trash need a heart transplant?
>>
>>160517981
how could you tell?
>>
>>160526230
What was ridiculous was that her subplot was completely pointless after the time jump.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.