[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Although I had seen the Death Note anime a decade ago, I only

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

Although I had seen the Death Note anime a decade ago, I only decided to read the manga recently as a refresher for the upcoming movie. Although the plot was fun, there was one major issue that I don't see brought up a lot.

The characters are completely flat and generally don't evolve past their introduction. You can sum up each character as a premise that applies to them for their entire existence. Light is a little more complicated, but only for plot reasons.

"Light Yagami" barely exists as a character. He is Kira, and Kira is the protagonist. "Light Yagami" becomes a facade immediately after L makes his challenge, and the character that exists before this is just a bored, overachieving teenager who found something extremely empowering. When he gives up his ownership of the Death Note, the resulting character isn't really much of a character. In fact, the only genuine character you can glean is by comparing him when he was Kira to when he isn't. He's smart, has a sense of justice and respect for his father, and has zero interest in women. That is all of Light Yagami in one sentence. Kira is that with an over-inflated ego and God complex. Light also seems to detest using women emotionally over all else while Kira gets off on it because it feeds his ego.

I can't even say that Matsuda evolves as a character because 5 minutes after he tearfully shoots Light, he goes back to his regular character, and the epilogue chapter doesn't have any sort of hardened Matsuda. Still, it made for a fantastic scene heavy with emotion.
>>
File: Go for the gold.gif (3MB, 225x127px) Image search: [Google]
Go for the gold.gif
3MB, 225x127px
And because it's obligatory
>>
it's only good because Madhouse of the olde, but even with all their directing and music powers they couldn't fix the main problem of "we mangakas wanted this to be Kira vs world really but ended up with Kira vs these homo dead dudes, but what now?.."
rip
>>
>>160341179
I thought Near and Mello were pretty good actually. My main problem with the latter half of the story in the manga is that the plot became overly convoluted and a little difficult to follow. One of the more controversial aspects of the story to me were the "conveniences". As in, with Light as the protagonist, you'd know just about everything he knew except when it was convenient to the story. But even when you didn't know everything from Light's point of view, you'd know everything from L's point of view, essentially making him a second protagonist of sorts. Towards the end, this kind of fell apart as we stopped seeing the full story from any character's point of view. We didn't know that Mikami had been hiding his Death Note in the bank and it was just like a random plot point introduced in the middle of all the other exposition at the end when every character laid their cards on the table. It stopped being "I have three Jacks and I know Mikami can sneak me fourth one, but I know that there are still three Aces and four Kings that have yet to be played and the chances of Near having them are..." to not knowing what anyone's cards were for a turn or two.

Not only that, but Near and Mello both had selective information about the case from when it was under L and you had to not confuse what they knew individually with what L and the Japanese task force knew.

But it was fun watching Light be made a fool of by Mello while Near insulted his intelligence over the phone.
>>
That issue gets brought up all the time because it's incredibly obvious. It's a plot driven show. That doesn't exactly excuse paper-thin characters, but it's why a lot of people don't care. Almost every is entirely defined by whether they are pro or anti Kira, because that's the only thing that matters to the plot.
>>
>>160341898
I felt that even though the characters didn't have much depth, they were still entertaining as characters. The Shinigami are the true highlights of the series because their lack of human depth works for them.

Soichiro is a loving father with a strong sense of justice. He's often put under duress and has to make hard moral choices, but it made for wonderful scenes like his self-confinement, revulsion at having to spy on his own family, pointing his gun at Light in the car, hesitation at using the Death Note to kill Mello, rescuing Sayu from the mafia, and not being afraid to give up half his remaining life for the Shinigami Eyes.

Matsuda is a young cop who can understand both sides of justice; the police's and Kira's. He's kinda dumb and naive, but in an endearing way, even if it makes him painfully blind to Light's actions. But he'll risk everything without hesitation, like when he was one of the few to join the Japanese task force despite knowing that would make him a target, when he resolved to stay with L even though he thought he would lose his job and the respect of his father, when he infiltrated Yotsuba Group and faked his own death to find info on the third Kira, and when he spontaneously gave Near his name so that Light wouldn't be targeted. His actions and emotions at the climax are perhaps more memorable in the anime since you don't see much of him after it.

There's not much to say about Mogi because Mogi doesn't have much to say, but that leads to great moments like when he acts as Misa's manager or remains silent all throughout the SPK's interrogation. He's just as devoted to the cause as the rest of the task force and supports Aizawa when he is filled with doubt.
>>
>>160341862
Good posts. Mello and Near destroying everyone's trust in Light by shittalking him over the phone is the best scene.
>>
>>160343460
I had really grown to dislike Light the more I read. There was just nothing redeeming about him. Even if you agree with his decision to use the Death Note to kill criminals and reduce crime, it's hard to think of him as a good person. He killed without remorse. He didn't even feel bad for good people like the FBI agents, Naomi Misora, the American President, or L. He was ready to kill off the entire task force and SPK as well, and he was trying hard not to laugh maniacally in the 40 seconds before he thought they'd die. The task force and L, they meant NOTHING to him despite everything they'd been through together. The only person he ever showed legitimate respect for was his father. When Soichiro said he was quitting the investigation after handing the Death Note over to the mafia, Light was mentally against it because he knew his father had worked his whole life to get where he was. He was also taken aback by his father volunteering to make the deal for the Shinigami Eyes instead of Matsuda, but knew he couldn't argue with his father's reasoning. That is the only genuine care he has shown for another human being in the entire series. Everything else is how he can further himself as Kira.

A lot of people wonder if the Death Note itself is what corrupted Light, but I think it was just the power he was given. Light had lots of psychopathic traits even when he didn't have the Death Note. If he had gotten a position of power in the police, I think he would have become corrupt so as to enforce his own justice after dealing with enough criminals and not seeing an end to them. The only reason we didn't see something like that happen is that he was never officially with the police or a force with any governmental power.

Misa had the Death Note as well, but it didn't change who she was as a person. The only reason she used the Death Note was to be of use to Kira. Mikami became more unhinged, but his backstory already paints him as mentally unstable.
>>
I would have like Near more if he didn't look like a recolor of L.
>>
Killing L was a mistake and the second half is heavily drawn out because the author wanted the manga to last one-hundred chapters.

9/10, so close to being a perfect series in it's own right.
>>
>>160344614
Yea those evil editors am I right. People keep parroting that meanwhile it was established from the chapter one how the dude was fascinated to became a God. Pretty sure money and attention made the authors to overexpose the confrontation of the first part, not to draw out the second, because all the ideas and twists are here, just the Near's design is sucky and fujos hated Misa's guts.
>>
>>160340892
Not reading that shit.
>>
>>160344614
It wasn't a mistake though
>>
>>160340892
Why watch the film first?
>>
File: 1496537032290.jpg (13KB, 229x350px) Image search: [Google]
1496537032290.jpg
13KB, 229x350px
>>160340892
This show is so old and uninteresting why even try to discuss it?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.